General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
AFAIK, there are very, very few GD's or GE's on the boards with 150k+ miles that don't have the issue.

My friends Fit blew the first plug with the factory original plug that was never touched. I'd guess that maybe cylinder #3 is either more stressed or gets more blow by from the PCV system, or something? Seems to usually be #3 that goes first.

Here's the plug on a new 1.5t from the Civic Si...

Maybe Honda has learned something?
Totally new engine, clean sheet design. I doubt the blown plugs on the Fit have anything to do with this design change. Although this is just a SWAG on my part.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ash- ford apparently has serious issues on the focus RS engine that they are cancelling the car all together. oh well

Old 01-09-2018, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Totally new engine, clean sheet design. I doubt the blown plugs on the Fit have anything to do with this design change. Although this is just a SWAG on my part.
The L15B7 is actually a continuation of our L15A1. Modernized and improved, but it's not clean sheet.

The plugs in my neighbors HR-V are also the long thread design.

IMO, Honda screwed up by using short reach plugs in an aluminum head. For whatever reason, they no longer do.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
ash- ford apparently has serious issues on the focus RS engine that they are cancelling the car all together. oh well
I think the problem here is Ford used an open deck block on a turbo application. Another bad idea!

VW's handle boost quite well thanks to the closed deck blocks.

Subaru's head gaskets, on the other hand, rarely make it to 100k miles because of the open design. (Edited to add...not sure if this is still true, but it was the root cause of the failures on early 2000's Subies)

Ford should have done better research. I'm not an engineer, but it's easy to see what has worked and what has not.

Last edited by GAFIT; 01-09-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
kenchan, you see this...

Custom color option sounds really cool! I bet it would get special treatment in getting painted. They would probably laugh if I bought one and asked for the custom color option and then ordered silver. LOL

Old 01-09-2018, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT- LOL! custom shade of silver. thanks, will check out the vid in a bit.

so i drove home again using surface streets taking my dandy time and no tolls. even so my wife says im coming home about the same time was before.. she even asked if i decided to take the express way home today. haha wtf mang..

so i checked the mpg meter from engine start to the time i got home. the best i can do is 28mpg on this car per the obc. so regardless of expressway or surface roads, i think im not going to save too much on fuel..but will save me the hassles of getting my car damaged, much less engine and brake wear. the car in full AT mode downshifts frequently so i dont need to use the brakes that much.

2 days in, im a fan of DSG for super smooth AT driving. i can see myself getting the DSG Golf-R next for myself.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
watched the clip, thanks GAFIT. it was very educational.

side sills.. that looks like the one on my GTI? no more real body painted side sills like on my R?

jerkiness of DSG? wtf? my GTI is super smooth in full AT mode.. you cant drive this car like a regular junkamatic torque converter AT. its a clutch based AT, you have to throttle input like a manual car and it is very smooth.. thats if you can drive MT cars well.

blue looks good.

$1500 convenience package? that's nothing on a 40K car. get it fully loaded

soft riding.. but that's the good part.. if u want stiff get a STI.. oh wait i already have one.

so according to the host, the GTI autobahn is the one to get.. wait, i already have that too..

i think blue Golf-R fully loaded with DSG sounds perfect for me to park next to my MT Golf-R.
conclusion: looks like me and canadians dont think alike

Old 01-09-2018, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
oh yah.. forgot to mention. i ran iOS11.2.2 on my GTI's carplay today. no issue.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
alright, updated high sierra too on my MBP.. should be all set.

oh yah, updating my iPod touch too...

Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
just wanted to confirm ipod touch 6th works fine with iOS11.2.2 too if anyone's on the fence.. not that you have much of a choice due to the spectre vulnerability.. too bad no update for ipod touch 5th.. but it could be that its not using the same chip..

Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
I hadn't watched the video to the end when I posted it, but his findings were similar to mine after test drives. Everyone's opinions are just that...opinions. I think you currently own the epitome of the Golf chassis, but that is, once again, only an opinion. Your generation of Golf R in MT is pretty special. I'd be proud to own one. There may not be ones like it in the future.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
are you still talking about the DSG in AT mode? this is not an opinion. it is fact that some folks just don’t know how to drive DSG. including that canadian.

yah, the R is a special hatch to me. but i’m just passing through. i am no vw enthusiast by any means.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
alright half way through the week. more grinding to do at the office today. will again take it slow and easy in the GTI to work

have a good wednesday everyone!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
The two things I found interesting about the '18 are the user configurable instrument panel and the custom paint option.

The '18 Mustang GT offers that style instrumentation and it looks cool also. With the Mustang you have to get the Premium package and then add the top package. Guess that's like buying a Golf R.

The custom paint option is really impressive. I don't recall that being an option before on a sub $100k car. Remember the multi-color Golf thing? Where each door, the hood, hatch, etc were all a different color? That was funky!

Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
yah i remember GAFIT! it thought the patchwork color scheme was a joke but mang i saw a few of those driving around. lol. if i saw that today i’d think it’s a Google corporate car.

that virtual cockpit is cool.. but i still prefer mechanical analog gauges especially if carplay is not going to display there? will it? not sure.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
are you still talking about the DSG in AT mode? this is not an opinion. it is fact that some folks just don’t know how to drive DSG. including that canadian.

yah, the R is a special hatch to me. but i’m just passing through. i am no vw enthusiast by any means.
Here is an interesting read Ken. The DSG is not a torque converter automatic & doesn't drive like one. I think it's great it doesn't, but many folks complain about it.

VWVortex.com - How to Play The DSG Game, and Win - DSG Driving Tips and Tricks

Old 01-10-2018, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
oh yah i know it is not a torque converter and this is why one must drive the DSG differently. i saw that link and read a few lines but the wtf moment can easily be fixed just by switching to Sport AT mode momentarily and allowing the AT to downshift by itself to 1st then shift back into manual mode.

there is a learning curve but why complain? i don’t get it. this is why AT drivers just suck at driving in general. and can’t be considered a car guy unless one can drive MT fluently with heel and toe second nature.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
I think you hit the nail on the head Ken. The people who seem to have issues are those that come from driving slush-box automatics. Stick shift drivers seem to adapt to the DSG more easily.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
ash i completely agree!

there was not ONE instance the DSG felt jerky at all again today. and the car was in full AT mode both trips.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
so i got home and had to open the garage door to get some larger items inside the house. at 45F and 100% humidity outside vs 39F 50% rf inside the garage (i have an ip camera aimed at a hygrometer that i can see from my phone) i was kinda hesitant to open the door.. cause major condensation on my STI and R along with my tool case and PDR tools.. unless i do it REAL quick.

so i opened the door and within one min closed it with the fan running full blast to mix the air as much as possible. still i had some minor condensation forming on the cars so i ran my dehumidifier. instantly the condensation went away and now down to 70% RH. definitely a must have for your garage:

1. ip camera
2. hygrometer
3. large fan
4. dehumidifier

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?