General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
nice.. got a snoopy bandaid on my pointing finger. wish it was my middle finger and id show it off all day.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Happy Monday everyone.

Lol - Kenchan with your snoopy finger.

Seems some of you guys got snow. Great looking GTI Ash.

Got home yesterday from Phoenix. The drive there I got a measly 32mpg cruising at 78mph. Then at mile 349 of 350...right before the exit off the freeway...assuming the truck in the lane next to me (at my 10 o'clock) flung a rock and put a nice rock chip in my windshield right in my line of sight/eye level on the drive side. Drove thru crazy 70mph winds which were pushing my Civic around...a couple little dirt devil storms (cant wait to wash the car and see what that did). Gonna call my insurance and see if they do windshield replacement/repair as a courtesy. AAA is usually pretty good. Otherwise I'll just deal with it or get it filled in myself.

Besides that Phoenix was a blast. Good food/drinks with our friends and saw one of our favorite comedians Tom Segura.

Drive yesterday was uneventful...but this time I got 41mpg until the climb...then by the time I got home the computer said I was at 37mpg. Not sure why the significant difference from the trip there since I drove the same avg speed per GPS.

Anyhow...back to the grind.

Think I'm gonna get myself some bluetooth over ear headphone for work....tired of hearing the "smart" conversations happening around me thru my Bang Olufsen ear buds.

Been eyeing these on amazon.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by shinjari; 12-11-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
shinjari welcome back! sorry to hear about the crack on the windshield. it sucks i dealt with that earlier this yr myself. id opt for the oem glass even if insurance will only cover for the 3rd party glass.

i had that headphone a while back and gave it to my wife. the problem with these cheap headphones is that the volume level can differ between left and right and makes your center audio like vocals or snare or bass drum come from one of the sides more. i couldn't stand it. you might have better luck though.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
You had those EXACT headphones? I'll give them a shot...worst case...I'll do what you did and give to the GF lol. Her ears aren't as fined tuned. Granted at work its not like I'm listening at some crazy volume.

Also noticed your signature updated...from RS3...to another 'R' haha.

Last edited by shinjari; 12-11-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
ahh, DSLR camera?

i had a nikon DSLR but gave it to my wife as my iphone was plenty for taking 'used car photo's' of my car haha. all my car picts turn out like those for sale ads as i have no talent or the patience of taking good pictures. and i like that on iphone you can adjust so many light and hue parameters to match your screen and make it look nice..
That picture was taken with my Fuji XE-2s & 18-55mm lens. After 45 years of shooting Nikon SLRs & DSLRs I moved to EVIL cameras in 2015. EVIL = electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens, most folks know them as mirrorless cameras. My cameras now are a couple of Fuji's & assorted glass. I also have a couple of Nikon 1 series mirrorless cameras & lenses that serve as my car cams. I always have one in my car at all times. I also use them for my long lens option.

Cameras aren't for everyone. My wife will only use her cell phone & I'll use mine on occasion.

This was taken with my little Nikon J5.

Last edited by ashchuckton; 12-11-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
shinjari - yah, i had those exact ones. . my wife seems to like them so i'm sure if ones not picky it is okay. i'm a musician (as hobby) so my ears are overly sensitive.

yep, the RS3 i do still plan to get, but after i'm done with my MT R. the reason is i like the lego interchangeably between my hatches. lol and want the DSG R to replace my GTI next. keeping the MT R, keeping my STI.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
ash- that's awesome! my pops also use mirror less cameras when he goes up into the mountains. he brings home some of the nicest looking pictures id see like on national geographic stuff. he says he got tired of lugging his bigarse DSLR.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Nice moon shot. I've been a fan of the mirrorless cameras in terms of size and capabilities. My GF is a Nikon supporter, has her old SLR....went to a D3100 DX line...then made the jump a few years back to a D700 FX line. That thing takes some sweet photos.

I love using it, she says I have a better "eye" for good photos. Typically just use my LG V20 camera haha. It has manual controls when I wanna be picky. Plus it has a wide angle which makes for some fun photos.

Here is the chip in question. I reached out to a reputable repair shop and my insurance apparently AAA doesnt cover repairs anymore. The shop said $50 for the repair with lifetime warranty.

As you can see its about the size of a sunflower seed...maybe a dime.

Last edited by shinjari; 12-11-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
If you are lucky they will be able to fill that rock chip. Most insurance companies will pay for a chip repair. If you need a new windshield you may have to eat the deductible, depends on your policy.

That D700 is quite the camera. I'd love a full frame FX Nikon, but really don't want to lug one of these around. That's why I moved to mirrorless cameras.

For the moon shot I used my Nikon J5 an adapter so I could use my Nikon 70-300 zoom. All in I'm about $500 worth of kit. To do that in FX I'd be about $19,000 poorer. Yikes! The FX kit would make a much better picture, but my poor boy kit does a good enough job for me.

Back on topic....

Car stuff

Old 12-11-2017, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
shinjari- i used safelite to replace my glass and i think their appointment setup homepage asked if the chip was in the line of sight. if yes they will probably need to replace it.

those fillers are UV resin. might even want to try a kit for like $10..

Old 12-11-2017, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
testing out my new Bose at the office and it is perfect. i can still hear people talking around me so they won't need to yell to get my attention

shinjari try this one.. this is the one i got last night. it's the non noise cancelling version of my noise cancelling one i got a few weeks ago.
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-11-2017, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
i updated my company ipad's iOS to 11.x

seems to be working fine..

Old 12-11-2017, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i updated my company ipad's iOS to 11.x

seems to be working fine..
Good to hear! I'm going to do an update tonight. Hoping the newest version fixes some of the issues I'm having with 11.0.3.

Wife already updated and it seems the bugs are less, but she's still having weird battery life issues. Her phone will say 50% and then give her the low battery warning mid call. Will then shut the phone off. Plug in, turn back on, and battery life will flash to 40% or so.

On 11.0.3 my battery life issue is just that it shrank a good 25% and I'm on a relatively new phone.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Ash - yeah the d700 is nice. She got the body for a good deal and sold her D3100 w/ the 35-70 or whatever lens that it came with for basically 75% of what she spent on the D700 body with battery grip and 55mm prime. So she sacrificed video (which she never used) for a larger sensor, more control and better night shot capabilities.

Kenchan - those bose are nice but I'm poor haha. I got a crack I need to fix. $50 with lifetime warranty isnt bad. As long as its 95%+ clear like the yelp before/after pics I've seen, I'd rather look at that instead of a 100% chip haha.

As for OS11....its been hit or miss for the GF with her iphone 7plus. A friend with an iphone 6 said it slowed his phone down considerably to the point he bought a iphone 7 on craigslist.

Drove the miata to work today...such a fun little car.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Good to hear! I'm going to do an update tonight. Hoping the newest version fixes some of the issues I'm having with 11.0.3.

Wife already updated and it seems the bugs are less, but she's still having weird battery life issues. Her phone will say 50% and then give her the low battery warning mid call. Will then shut the phone off. Plug in, turn back on, and battery life will flash to 40% or so.

On 11.0.3 my battery life issue is just that it shrank a good 25% and I'm on a relatively new phone.
yah, i installed 11.2 today on the ipad.. hopefully it fixes the issues you and your wife had.

Originally Posted by shinjari
Kenchan - those bose are nice but I'm poor haha. I got a crack I need to fix. $50 with lifetime warranty isnt bad. As long as its 95%+ clear like the yelp before/after pics I've seen, I'd rather look at that instead of a 100% chip haha.

As for OS11....its been hit or miss for the GF with her iphone 7plus. A friend with an iphone 6 said it slowed his phone down considerably to the point he bought a iphone 7 on craigslist.

Drove the miata to work today...such a fun little car.
nice on the miata motoring. i should try the iOS11.2 on the old iphone6s..but not sure. will see if my wife wants to use as an iphone. if yes, i better wait a little bit. if no, then will try it as i have nothing to lose, its like my beat up iPod right now.

i got a new case for it today and in the case, it looks as good as new.

yah, the Bose is a little pricy.. but if you decide to get one, i can confirm it sounds good and the left and right speakers are properly paired (not BT pairing but audio pairing as far as frequency and dynamic response). it is a BT headphone btw.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
alright, got home did some driving in light snow. GTI and DWS06 handle it like a champ but wheel spin early on in the drive was not fun.

must get AWD-R..

Old 12-11-2017, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
mexican tonight! burrito's. i luv mexican food.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Man can you even get SoCal good mexican where you are?

Old 12-11-2017, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
oh mang there is a HUGE mexican population here. the burrito was sooooooooo good.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member
so i showed my wife the old iphone6s in its new case and she wanted to try using it as a phone so decided not to update the os just yet. she's going to contact the carrier this week to get a new sim card installed.

on the menu today.. sameo sameo as yesterday. need to finish up the presentation for a meeting. will enjoy the relaxing commute to the office in my GTI.

have a good tuesday everyone!

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?