General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
I would just keep the GK & the GTI. Both would seem to function nicely as daily drivers & saving $40,000? Yeah, I'd do that haha. There's a reason I still have the Fit.

Though the Civic Type R is pretty choice.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
haha. yah, that is also an option. no need to spend more actually.

im hoping that the new R's 7sp DSG will rid some of the tall gear feeling my GTI has down low.. it's very annoying knowing my MT R can shoot through traffic from a creep in very limited space while my GTI needs space to spool.

of course the other option is to wait for traffic to clear a little. haha

Old 12-09-2017, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
heading to the apple store in a bit to get my iphone fixed.

going to check out the ipad mini4 while i wait. might get one to replace my ipod touch6 i rarely use. my kid's been asking for it for xmas. the ipod was recently swapped due to warranty (battery puffed) so it is literally brand new.

all his friends have iphones but honestly i dont think he needs all that until he can a least afford monthly usage fees. we gave him a cheapo flip phone a few yr back and it is plenty. but if he does have an ipod he can use at home, then i wont have to text in romaji.. which is a plus. and see who's at the door through ip camera app.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Just wanted to chime in about the new CR-V...

My Dad has a '17 EX. It is vastly improved over previous generations. It is the quietest Honda I've been in and feels more substantial than other Honda's. He's also getting 32-36mpg out of the 1.5t. That's phenomenal for it's class. Probably 5-10 better than others.

Only real complaints are, the EX trim level electronics SUCK! A base Ford with sync3 is a better system. Other complaint is just my dislike of the CVT. They try to hide it by having it vary rpm's to mimick a "real" automatic, but why not just use a real auto instead of the golf cart/tractor oriented CVT?

Old 12-09-2017, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Pretty sure they use the CVT for efficiency. They are much lighter that a normal torque converter auto-box & that also helps. I'm not a fan of them either, but i understand why makers are using them. That mileage out of a CRV is pretty amazing.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
GAFIT- thanks for the info. honestly my wife is okay with even the GK's infotainment (if you want to call it that..lol) so i think it should be okay..

i did notice the GK's pre-carplay unit had pandora native app built-in.. maybe it will work as good as subaru's proprietary HU software. not sure.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
alright, got both my iphone7 and iphone6S's screens replaced. woot!

i had apple do the iphone7, took over an hour and 149 +tax.
while waiting, for kicks, i had some misc shop do the iphone6S screen (the one i ran over with my GTI), literally took 9-10min while my wife and i watched, and only 89 +tax.

of course the apple's screen is factory finish and the cheaper one is like some misc replica but honestly even the replica screen is pretty damn good and if i was on a tight budget id just do the 89 version.

while at the apple store i played around with the ipad mini4. i think i like it. since i have points on amazon will probably just order online.

also checked out the bose store and tried out the non-noise cancelling on the ear headphones i wanted. good sound, plenty of ambient noise i can hear through the earpiece so should be good to use at the office. people wont have to yell my name to get my attention while listening.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
been driving the GK all day today. the crosswind is definitely noticeable on the hwy..

but mang the GK is a nice ride for wat it is.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
heading out to the steak house in a bit in the GK. with all the salt they laid down this am, GK will be perfect. thing is all dirty already anyway.

will do a sensible sized filet mignon for me.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
on the menu today.. lazyarse. no motoring.. didnt feel like pulling out the STI this am mainly due to didnt feel like going for a drive. lucky to have that choice, i guess.

so started doing some laundry, going to be doing some shopping for my headphones and will decide if im going to get the ipad mini4.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
so last night met up with a whole bunch of my buddies from work for a big holiday party at a nice steak house. the steak was very good , the side dishes were kinda questionable. my buddies did pull up in their lux cars from audi's to range rovers, etc and me in the GK. hahaha

they all know im a car guy and my choice driving a Fit to the party, they asked how my fun cars were doing resting nice and toasty at home.

after the party, i suppose thanks to the GK's slowness, i didnt feel like getting frustrated with the weak performance of the car so drove kinda slowish just chatting up with the wife. there were like 4-5 cars behind me that literally BLEW past us and i was like dogdamn mang, i know my car is slow but come on now, that's insulting LOL! hahaha we were just cracking up.

then about 5 blocks down at a bridge, they literally crashed into each other, i actually saw the last car slam into one of the other cars, spun, slammed into the barrier. i was like 'hory crapola, who's faster now!' LOL and slowly drove past them. there were already people stopping to help and our car would just get into the way so just went on our merry way.

so, looks like the turtle is faster than the bunny. hahaha people are so faking stupid.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
It rarely snows here, so most drivers just don't know what to do.

We lost power, so we went to a friends (and fellow Fit owner) house to take showers. On the way there we were just basically rolling the speed limit. Had to pass a couple people on the two lane roads. Nothing aggressive. Slow and steady is definitely the pace. Not slow and stopped. And definitely not fast and aggressive.

The most fun part of the trip was snow removal. Had about 8" of snow piled on the roof, back window, and trunk of the Lincoln. It didn't come off at 55mph. First stop sign we came to I did a light AWD launch. Was absolutely hilarious. 400 lbs of snow slid right off the car in one big avalanche.

Got out later in the Golf. Tried the same thing. Darn thing couldn't launch hard enough to get the snow off. It just spins a bit and then traction control shuts the throttle. What a POS when it comes to traction. Pulled over and put it in park so I could turn off traction control. Only car I've ever seen that doesn't allow turning it off while in motion (again POS). With it turned fully off, it still cuts throttle. Highly irritating. I guess this is because it's not a performance model. But, heck, my Lincoln does all of this.

Maybe a vagcom would allow me access to actually disable traction control and do it while in motion?

Old 12-10-2017, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
To be fair, I may have never had T/C off. I turned off the ASC, but could never find an option for T/C. May have to research further.

Would be really sad if not an option to turn off T/C.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
You should 100% always wipe the snow off the top of the car before heading out. Otherwise you're effectively blinding people/if it falls off in one glob can present a dangerous hazard in the road, etc.

Basic winter driving etiquette.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
GAFIT - as noted many times, obd11 will take care of that. here are the steps, you're welcome!

ESC off using OBD11:
-Brake 1 (03) > Adaptation > Starting
vibration reduction > Deactivated
-Brake 1 (03) > Adaptation > Torque
limitation > Deactivated

sorry to hear about the loss in power. dat really sucks. if you drove with snow on the roof in canada, i think it was illegal. i use this tool called snowbrum. works very well to rid snow on the tops of the car without scuffing it..well, if you're careful. i use it on my black GTI even, no swirls/scratches from it.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
You should 100% always wipe the snow off the top of the car before heading out. Otherwise you're effectively blinding people/if it falls off in one glob can present a dangerous hazard in the road, etc.

Basic winter driving etiquette.
agreed...! GAFIT mentioned it never snows in his area so probably just didnt know.. just an innocent mistake.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
so after high sierra or watever the most recent MBP os update, my computer would bug and not turn off BT.. actually i have multiple BT headphones and speakers connected to it and could not disconnect and re-connect to another device without shutting down.

found a link how to fix. worked for me too. woot!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8105854

Old 12-10-2017, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
actually with the TCS fully off and the amount of power my GTI has, that is about when i really wanted to upgrade to the awd Golf-R and kicked myself even more for not getting the S3.

wheel spin is not fun.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
been running the iphone6s (got the screen repaired at a non-apple store) since yesterday as an ipod.. thing works great. hahaha

i think in the future, im just going to go to these misc shops to get my screen replaced. maybe i was lucky but this 3rd party screen looks just as good as my iphone7's screen, nearly half the price, 10min wait, and no need to make some silly appointment online.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
decided to go with the over the ear non-cancelling Bose headphones this time for the office.

the on ear sounded good at the store yesterday but considering i only run over the ear headphones in my entire line up i decided to just follow the trend. plus, the earpieces turn 90 degrees so it will fit in my brief case flatter than the on-ear headphones which only folds inwards into its case. makes sense.

hope to receive it later today.

as for the ipad mini4.. not sure. my company gave me an ipad a while back but i never use it... so my worry is i may end up not using it either. haha.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?