General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Hootie... no problem (re: pics).. I believe that there is a blooming effect on the DWS's, especially since so many are experiencing that.

Personally I've never had that problem on my DWS's (205-50-16), I've also never, never applied any tire dressing or tire shine products. My usual wash intervals are within 1500 miles if that makes a difference. Maybe I have the new XL designation? doubt it, but who knows.

Ken read the thread I linked and let us know what you find out from tirerack.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Pretty sure it was a tirerack rep... but probably different forum, I'll try to find the thread...

If others get the browning I guess it happens, I've never experienced it with my DWS's... It gets washed somewhat regularly and has been garaged (when not in use) since I mounted the tires... that might explain why?

edit.... found the thread with the sidewall "reconfiguration" it was Chase from Tirerack
Conti DWS Questions - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

I knew I wasn't just pulling a rabbit out of a hat... not that old.... yet.
hahaha! nono, i didn't think you were trying to pull any tricks. on my DW's on my 370Z, it only blooms terribly after i drive through rain. when it's dry and clean, the dressing keeps it nice and black.

after that ordeal i removed the oily whitish colored crap that initially came with the tires using RC car motor spray. im guessing the Goo-off would do the same. im not sure if that's release lube from the mold, or just crap that keeps coming out of the chemicals used on the tires.... i am guessing it's the same way on the DWS. ive not driven through rain after so dont know if i permanently fixed the problem or not.

Originally Posted by Hootie
^^ We had the same "blooming" issue as you're referring to with the DWSs on the E60. Sometimes it got to the point were the browning was soo bad prior to cleaning that the sidewall resembled a dirty old penny. Though that was in the worst case that I remembered... the car was gone for about a month and went at least 3k miles without washing.

I might have a picture of it that I can dig up.

EDIT: Nah, no pictures of the tires "blooming" on the hard drive or my photobucket. :/
yep, the DW's i use on my 370Z's cool weather set was like that. it was almost a dark corroded copper brown. i know EXACTLY what you're talking about!!

Hootie... no problem (re: pics).. I believe that there is a blooming effect on the DWS's, especially since so many are experiencing that.

Personally I've never had that problem on my DWS's (205-50-16), I've also never, never applied any tire dressing or tire shine products. My usual wash intervals are within 1500 miles if that makes a difference. Maybe I have the new XL designation? doubt it, but who knows.

Ken read the thread I linked and let us know what you find out from tirerack.
i will check out the link, thanks!

Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
hey fitstir- okay, i read about the load rating change. i think road rating is primarily done by the radial construction (belts) inside the tires rather than the rubber compound itself.

the DW tires on my 370Z are XL rating which is the same as the DWS. the tires still bloom, so my guess is that the rubber compound itself is still the same.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kenchan
hahaha! nono, i didn't think you were trying to pull any tricks. ......
hehehe... I know, I know... just wanted to back up what I read/mentioned with the proof.

Not surprised that 2 different reps say two different things... I'm curious now about this XL upgrade on the sidewalls.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
yah, i think we posted at the same time. hahaha! ck above your post.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
i guess as an experiment, when i bring up my cooler weather set for my Z up this weekend, i will wet it down real good with a hose and see if it turns brown.

ive not gotten the tires wet since cleaning the sidewall to rid that white gunk. perhaps the fresh rubber i dressed will have better adhesion to the dressing?

a. DW new with white gunk + dressing = dressing does not stick well, blooms. (maybe?)

b. DW new without white gunk + dressing might = dressing sticks well, minimum blooming. (i hope).

Old 09-18-2012, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
hey fitstir- okay, i read about the load rating change. i think road rating is primarily done by the radial construction (belts) inside the tires rather than the rubber compound itself.

the DW tires on my 370Z are XL rating which is the same as the DWS. the tires still bloom, so my guess is that the rubber compound itself is still the same.
That makes sense...

I'm quite sure I have the DWS before the XL rating upgrade since I've had them on the car for over a year now, and even though the sidewall is relatively soft, it's still a far superior tire than the OEM's. I only wished they made the DWS in 15" sizes as well, for my other set of wheels (15's) I got the Kumho Ecsta 4x (based on reviews from ff owners). Can't wait to try them out in a few weeks, from what I've read they're very comparable to the DWS's.

ahahaha,,,, can't keep up with the replies.. lol.

You know that the DW & DWS are different model tires (I think the DWS is for snow as well), not sure about the similarities on rubber compound or belt constuction though.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
That makes sense...

I'm quite sure I have the DWS before the XL rating upgrade since I've had them on the car for over a year now, and even though the sidewall is relatively soft, it's still a far superior tire than the OEM's. I only wished they made the DWS in 15" sizes as well, for my other set of wheels (15's) I got the Kumho Ecsta 4x (based on reviews from ff owners). Can't wait to try them out in a few weeks, from what I've read they're very comparable to the DWS's.

ahahaha,,,, can't keep up with the replies.. lol.

You know that the DW & DWS are different model tires (I think the DWS is for snow as well), not sure about the similarities on rubber compound or belt constuction though.
it could be that you were able to clean off that white gunk that comes coated on the sidewalls real well.

yep, i am aware that the DW and DWS are two different models. i think the DWS would use even softer compound vs the DW since DWS can be used in snow. which means if my summer DW's are blooming like that, chances are the DWS will bloom even worse as they are softer compound. that has been my concern from the beginning for DWS.

considering the reviews ive read on DWS, i think they are far superior than the stock dunlops. i *think* my '12 came with bridgestones... i will need to see what it was. im not into a/s tires especially ones that come with the car so i didn't even look. hahahaha. it's stashed away in my basement.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
anyone have experience with motege SP10? they are 17x7 ET40 but only 16.5lbs...

perhaps slap those on with factory TPMS with DWS 205/45/17..

Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
picts i see of them sp10's are kinda meh... hummmm...

i should probably just stick to my original plan of wrapping DWS 205/50/16 on my rota boosts... make it look like a true motegi RS race car instead. LOL search motegi honda fit on google and you shall see wat im talking about.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
....yep, i am aware that the DW and DWS are two different models. ....
I figured that for a second though it sounded like you were using DW/DWS interchangeably.

You should look at teo's Works https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...5-17-47-a.html
not sure if he ever mounted TPMS, but the wheels are in pretty good shape, and they look great!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
I figured that for a second though it sounded like you were using DW/DWS interchangeably.

You should look at teo's Works https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...5-17-47-a.html
not sure if he ever mounted TPMS, but the wheels are in pretty good shape, and they look great!
GoodAM fitstir!

thanks, i saw that a few weeks ago. since the wheels are small (well to me, 17" is small as im use to looking at 19") i want to get wheels with spokes that go all the way out to the lip of the rim to make them appear bigger.

the thing (mistake?) about the rotas i bought is that when the color is dark like gunmetal, it makes the wheel appear even smaller than they are.

so i bought 16's which will appear to me like 14's to my eyel. lol i should've gotten a light-colored wheel if 16's regardless of the brand/model. so im contemplating whether to swallow the mistake by putting on DWS (at least better riding than snow tires), or getting a new set of wheels and just sell the NIB boosts.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
motored the G this am again to work. going to drive my GE tomorrow and Friday. need to run some errands tomorrow.

i couldn't get to the DRL fuse yesterday... not literally, i was pounded with house chores, looking after my kids' homework, etc etc and just couldn't get around to it while it was still light outside. anyway, i hope to get that done today.

so my buddy alex over there at tirerack politely commented that he wont be able to accept my tpms in the mail to be mounted to new wheelset. that's understandable as it can get kinda nasty with warranty and such. you know, some customers can be real anuses when it comes to complaining. if i drive it into southbend, obviously he can take care of me.

so that's where i stand as of today. im kinda meh on the motegi SP10's looking at picts on other cars on google. if im driving out to TR, i think im going to get the PF01's and DWS.

so just breifly, im wondering how my life would suck if i wrapped DWS on my stock '12 wheels...

Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
boo, no time to pull the DRL fuse again. lol

maybe friday or the weekend or whenever i get to it. too busy after work looking after my kid's homework. im done but now it's raining and dark.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
gmorning, all.

so im sick today with a cold and wanted to call in, but then i wanted to drive my GE so i ended up at work. lol actually i have to run errands this pm so i dont have time to be sick. the drive was nice and smooth, im really enjoying the GE.

but i notice a HUGE difference in behavior in the mid-low class income folks driving around me between when i drive my modded G and GE. im sure it's only a few sour apples ruining their entire image. but anyway, in my G, basically no one bothers me. they dont tail gate (unless it's a lady with a wedge stuck up her arse while driving her bimmer/benz suv) .

when i drive my GE, it's like these mid-low class folks think they and i are in the same class and they want to pull me down for driving a new car. especially an econobox, they think im powerless, probably think i made the wrong decision on a car, and they can do watever they want. funny, it's the same me driving the car but i sense this behavior change amoungst especially the mid low-class folks in their late 40's and 50's. im stereo-typing as i dont care to know much about them, but typically they drive older domestics, mitsubishi, hyundai, kia, those types who appear they failed in life and stuggling with midlife crisis or something. it's kinda funny cause each one that tail gates me, looks like one of them.

i dont notice this behavior when im driving my Z either. people tend to stay away unless it's a confused ricor or a redneck that wants to street race everything including dogs, cats, light poles, hyenas, kangaroos, trees, dolphins, penguins, etc.

i suppose a car to most folks is a very materialistic thing. like wearing a nice suit vs a hoodie. wear a suit, people tend to respect. wear a sweatshirt or hoodie, not so much. it's pretty sad.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
a few updates on my reviews for some misc bits i bought for the car.

1) motorola roadster2 (BT speaker phone kit with auto on/off, clips to visor)

very good, no issue what so ever with auto pairing each time i get into the car. i have one in my GE, one in my G. the unit in my GE finally audibly told me that the battery level is low. this is into the 5th week. charging it now at the office. it usually takes about 3hrs to do a full charge.

ROADSTER 2 | B&H Photo Video=

2) wheel brush
BAD BAD BAD! dont get it. lol the thing flingss dirty soap water in your face when you pull the brush away from the spokes. wtf. highly DO NOT recommend. instead use the Griot's boar's hair brush with long handle. that's wat ive been using the last 6yrs and went back using that. lol

DO NOT GET:

GET THIS INSTEAD:

Long Handle Boar's Hair Wheel Brush - Griot's Garage

Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
I have the same brush and encounter the same problem. What I suggest you try and do is do not stand/sit/squat right in front of the brush. When you're cleaning your wheel, place yourself perpendicular to the brush (hand and brush in the wheel, you on the side of the car). Don't go in and out of the wheel as you would with other brush to quickly. If the spokes are wide enough from each other, just go side to side and remove it slowly when you go the the next one.

Give it a shot, it helps although you will still get some on you but most of it will be on your arm istead.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by onemiglandicho
I have the same brush and encounter the same problem. What I suggest you try and do is do not stand/sit/squat right in front of the brush. When you're cleaning your wheel, place yourself perpendicular to the brush (hand and brush in the wheel, you on the side of the car). Don't go in and out of the wheel as you would with other brush to quickly. If the spokes are wide enough from each other, just go side to side and remove it slowly when you go the the next one.

Give it a shot, it helps although you will still get some on you but most of it will be on your arm istead.
thanks, yah, i tried that actually. i always stand away from the wheel that im washing. like if im washing the rear wheel i would be standing next to the rear bumper. the t-fork wheels have a pretty narrow spoke width so it's really impossible to pull the brush out of the spokes without flinging dirty shampoo...unless i go REAL slow.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
im still undecided what i want to do for winter set... lol im getting to the point of getting tired of thinking.

how many of you hate the '12 wheels? is it just me? why did Honda have to make my car's factory wheels so fugly?

Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
so if i was to run my gunmetal rota's with tpms, wouldn't that mean i will have a silver spot (tpms) on my gunmetal wheels? it's going to appear spinning and spinning while it makes rotation.

if im going to run the rota's i better spray paint that tpms valve stem black.

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?