General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
Interested to see how far you take it the second time around, any other plans yet?
yah, i want to do axleback... something not loud, any recommedations?

also for front strut removal, i saw the DIY where someone took the whole frikken wiper assembly and everything off to get to the nut. i as like holyshit.

that little plastic opening that you can pop out... that should be enough to get to the strut top, right? i have this ratcheting bad boy...

Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, i want to do axleback... something not loud, any recommedations?

also for front strut removal, i saw the DIY where someone took the whole frikken wiper assembly and everything off to get to the nut. i as like holyshit.

that little plastic opening that you can pop out... that should be enough to get to the strut top, right? i have this ratcheting bad boy...

For axleback, I can say firsthand that my T1R 50S is quiet and deep with 2" piping and a 2.5" turn down tip and sounds very aggressive. It's very similar to the J's 50RS. I also like the Tanabe Concept G and Touring Medalions a lot, you don't see those too often on the GE8s either.

Yeah I bet you could get around the wiper assembly with that tool, a few people have done it without taking off the cowl. IMO, it only takes like an extra 15 minutes to take off the cowl and assembly so if you find yourself frustrated, you might as well take it off. Be careful taking off the two thin ends of the cowl on the windshield though, the white clips break easily.

Last edited by Vanct; 08-13-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=kenchan;1123013]yah, i suppose i can give those a try. i dont want to go too low since i need to be able to drive around in deep snow. will be getting snow tires. do i need to cut my bumpstops at all running those springs? QUOTE]

The bumpstops are only cut on the GD models, the GEs don't need to be cut...

Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
For axleback, I can say firsthand that my T1R 50S is quiet and deep with 2" piping and a 2.5" turn down tip and sounds very aggressive. It's very similar to the J's 50RS. I also like the Tanabe Concept G and Touring Medalions a lot, you don't see those too often on the GE8s either.

Yeah I bet you could get around the wiper assembly with that tool, a few people have done it without taking off the cowl. IMO, it only takes like an extra 15 minutes to take off the cowl and assembly so if you find yourself frustrated, you might as well take it off. Be careful taking off the two thin ends of the cowl on the windshield though, the white clips break easily.
thanks vanct! i did check out a few youtube clips of the tanabe and it sounded pretty good. will check out the T1R 50S's as well and decide.

and yah, ive heard of those clips breaking when taking off the shroud so was like hummmm... did you have to hold the shaft with the allen key when you loosened the top nut? in this case, i might have a problem.

btw, what wheels are you running? they look great!!

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The bumpstops are only cut on the GD models, the GEs don't need to be cut...
ahhh, thanks coyote. i should have my swifts in a few days. thanks for the tip.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
here's my 09 Fit ive had coming up 4yrs in december. my wife uses this car most of the
time. i own the title.

i honestly like the wheels on this car better than my 12'...

Old 08-13-2012, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
vanct- ahh, enkei's looks great. do you have any rubbing running your 205/40/17's? im thinking about running 205/45/17 since my ride will not be as low as yours with swifts. btw, will probably go with 17x7 ET45.

Last edited by kenchan; 08-13-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
humm that t1r does sound sweet. where is everyone getting the hook ups for the t1r and tanabe medalion?

medalion going for 465 or something on ebay.

also found that tirerack has the new WS70's (snow tires) coming in pretty soon. they have 185/55/16's for our stock wheels. perfect timing. woot!

i think for this year im going to do the swifts (this week) and the axleback and might just postpone the 17's until spring as i will only have 3months max before snow fall.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
It is a snug fit (pun unintended) but you can remove the upper bolt for the strut that way with a ratcheting wrench. If you have the exact one pictured it might to a bit too tall. A ratcheting wrench with the typical 25 to 30 degree bend would be fine if memory serves me right.

Make sure to remove your brake line from the struts first once you get your wheel off. At my last job one of our techs ripped a brake line apart when lifting an F350. (Totally different vehicle yes, but just as a precaution). In addition to that, I believe there are wheel speed sensors that may need to be disconnected/moved aside.

I believe you need (going from memory) likely two 19mm sockets or a 19mm and a 17mm to remove the two bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle. At this point, it would be a good time to ditch two of those factory strut bolts for some camber bolts just for the record... PLUS, Honda recommends replacing the front struts' and rear shocks' bolts whenever the original/previous ones are removed.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
thanks, hootie. yah, i have different wrenches but the offset wrench i show is about 10"+ in length. i have a flat ratchet closed wrench as well. i got my tracking number for the swift and should have them in my hands on friday. perfect cause im taking the day off.

thanks on the other bolts. i think i might still have the rear bolts laying around somewhere nib from the GD.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
guys is there any truth to this statement found at tirerack? they say that i wont be able to turn off traction control if TPMS error light is illuminated. i dont want to use tpms in my aftermarket wheels... and i want to be able to launch the car with no traction control at times..

"If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS warning lights will stay permanently illuminated and an audible chime may also be heard at start-up. The vehicle's VSA (Vehicle Stability Assistance) will not be able to be turned off. In certain winter conditions it is useful to have the VSA turned off."

thanks...

Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm, sounds strange. I looked in Honda's database and didn't see anything at the moment. I'll try to remember and ask our master tech at work.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
guys is there any truth to this statement found at tirerack? they say that i wont be able to turn off traction control if TPMS error light is illuminated. i dont want to use tpms in my aftermarket wheels... and i want to be able to launch the car with no traction control at times..

"If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS warning lights will stay permanently illuminated and an audible chime may also be heard at start-up. The vehicle's VSA (Vehicle Stability Assistance) will not be able to be turned off. In certain winter conditions it is useful to have the VSA turned off."

thanks...
I believe that is true.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
I believe that is true.
humm... so i did some searching and found someone stating that he pulls out the abs pump connector when he goes to the track. do you know where is connector this located? i want to be able to use both vsa and abs in the snow (factory wheels with tpms with snow tires) but be able to disable vsa in the summer time (no tpms)... abs, i really dont need.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Hmm, sounds strange. I looked in Honda's database and didn't see anything at the moment. I'll try to remember and ask our master tech at work.
thanks, if he knows any quick way to disable vsa without tpms, that would be fantastic.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
never mind, found the pump... hummm... such a pita.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
vanct- ahh, enkei's looks great. do you have any rubbing running your 205/40/17's? im thinking about running 205/45/17 since my ride will not be as low as yours with swifts. btw, will probably go with 17x7 ET45.

humm that t1r does sound sweet. where is everyone getting the hook ups for the t1r and tanabe medalion?

medalion going for 465 or something on ebay.
No rubbing on the 205/40s and I'm 2 inches lower with +45et (safest offset without a fender roll). You should be safe with a 45 series tire as you won't be going as low.

T1R is sold by A&J Racing (vendor is on this site too so you can contact him), or on Vex Motorsports. A&J also sells through eBay. Did a quick search for the Touring Medalion, you can probably get it cheaper than $465.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
No rubbing on the 205/40s and I'm 2 inches lower with +45et (safest offset without a fender roll). You should be safe with a 45 series tire as you won't be going as low.

T1R is sold by A&J Racing (vendor is on this site too so you can contact him), or on Vex Motorsports. A&J also sells through eBay. Did a quick search for the Touring Medalion, you can probably get it cheaper than $465.
thanks vanct! i will source a set. im really liking your wheels. im a little dissappointed i will lose the ability to turn off vsa without tpms. i dont feel like spending money on tpms and having to have to pay the dealer every frikken season (winter/summer) when i swap wheels either.

since this is my winter dd/summer grocery getter i will be using the car primarily for winter. and in the summer time, i will just take it easy at least in the Fit and accept the fact i cant turn off vsa.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
booked my white Fit for 30K service. going to get the brake pads replaced probably. not on indicators yet but considering how my GD's brakes were gone by the time i reached 30K when i sold the car, i think it's time.

otherwise the car's been doing very well. 33K miles on the odo, not washed much. it has surface rust on the chassis since it's already coming up 4yrs, but nothing to worry about. very reliable car.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks. I may be selling these wheels soon, I was trying to PM you but it won't let me for some reason.

Sucks about the VSA and TPMS issue, Honda must have done it as a safety precaution.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
i drove the 12 to work today. the clutch is super light vs my G and Z so easy to drive.

KBB's youtube review stated that the clutch was somewhat difficult to get the feel for... not sure wtf they're talking about. the car drives smooth, no issue. driving MT can't get any easier. effortless heel/toe as well (using side of my foot to blip).

Quick Reply: The Official Blog from GD to GE to GK to GTI to R?