General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Don't take out that spare

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:58 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
lets try to keep it on topic guys pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese lol

Old 01-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Spule 4
Ergh, you guys need to do some homework, this fact has been true for years
Interesting links . . . thank you for the contribution. Find one that pertains to the Fit, and I'm sold.

I'm no engineer, but I have a hard time imagining any scenario where the Fit's donut would make an appreciable difference in a rear crash. If anything, it's a heavy piece of metal that's only one spindly bolt and a piece of felt-board away from being a projectile in the passenger cabin.

As for the prudence of running without a spare tire - I don't have any qualms about it. But that's only because I keep a tire patch kit & air compressor in the car at all times.

edit - oops, sorry for the thread bump. didn't realize how old this was . . . :laugh:

Old 01-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Daemione
Interesting links . . . thank you for the contribution. Find one that pertains to the Fit, and I'm sold.

I'm no engineer, but I have a hard time imagining any scenario where the Fit's donut would make an appreciable difference in a rear crash. If anything, it's a heavy piece of metal that's only one spindly bolt and a piece of felt-board away from being a projectile in the passenger cabin.

As for the prudence of running without a spare tire - I don't have any qualms about it. But that's only because I keep a tire patch kit & air compressor in the car at all times.

edit - oops, sorry for the thread bump. didn't realize how old this was . . . :laugh:
Yeah, that is a pretty old thread to bump... but since you did... My new '09 Fit didn't even come with a "donut" just a can of "fix-a flat" and a compressor. Hell, I took the spare out of my '93 Civic 11 years ago, more room for my jack, tools and "R" compounds when I'm going autocrossing (then I have 4 spares!)

Old 01-17-2009, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Keep in mind that Canadian Fits don't come with the spare at all. Original structural concern debunked.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Keep in mind that Canadian Fits don't come with the spare at all. Original structural concern debunked.
Thank you Crystal 5
Excellent point I was looking for during the entire thread the Canadian automatics that Honda has eliminated the spare.

I didn't mind the thread so much, but the PM that sort of inferred I was a bad guy because of my HUGE influence over other people and what they do was disappointing on many levels. I am not a numb scull, I weigh just about everything I do on a risk/benefit basis. Most people would not travel half way around the world to adopt a child (naw tooo risky), well I did it twice and I have 2 awesomely beautiful daughters as the priceless benefit of a risk taken.

Last time I checked, it is still a somewhat free country. I honestly don't need another nanny. I am forced into enough things like having to use crap 10% ethanol gas.

Spare Tire
Tork,

I was just cruising the forums, and noticed your sig with the modifications listed. You should IMMEDIATEDLY change it, even if you do not change your vehicle.

I am I-CAR collision certified.

When vehicles are tested for their crash ratings, the spare tire MUST be in place. The spare adds structural strength to the area it occupies.

If you wreck your FIT, and your insurance company investigates and sees that you have removed the spare, which is a structural member, you may have problems getting claims paid.

Its your choice.

Last edited by Tork; 01-17-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
I vote that
1. each person gets to decide what they want, and then
2. they get to do what they want, and then
3. nobody gets to scold them for doing what they want with their own stuff.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
I dont think I want to remove the spare anyways

I remember auto x-ing the fit and i wanted MORE weight in the back.

The fit is kinda like a truck,rigid frame but NO weight in the back and all in the front (thanks mr.honda for mid vehicle gas tank (sarcasm)

Old 01-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by StewPiddass
Yeah, that is a pretty old thread to bump... but since you did... My new '09 Fit didn't even come with a "donut" just a can of "fix-a flat" and a compressor. Hell, I took the spare out of my '93 Civic 11 years ago, more room for my jack, tools and "R" compounds when I'm going autocrossing (then I have 4 spares!)
So you have a can of fix-a-flat and air sensors in your wheels....? That sounds like an expensive use to me......electronic item with fluid?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
I vote that
1. each person gets to decide what they want, and then
2. they get to do what they want, and then
3. nobody gets to scold them for doing what they want with their own stuff.
Seconded.

Just remember, though, that Murphy's Law will be affected by your spare. If you leave it in, you probably won't get a flat. If you take it out, you will definitely get a flat.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by User Name
So you have a can of fix-a-flat and air sensors in your wheels....? That sounds like an expensive use to me......electronic item with fluid?
No TPMS in Canada!!! Lucky us, guess that's how they can get away with it.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Just checking, I didn't think Honda was that stupid......