General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

how to re-thread the bolt hole?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:40 AM
Unhappy how to re-thread the bolt hole?

sups I had a question last time abouts fixing the bolt which I got it thanks to someone that helped me but the next question is how to re-thread a hole for the bolt that is messed up? Okay I had tried to install a C-pillar bar for my 08 FIT. I managed to get one in correctly but the other side which is the driver side I messed it up by accident. I was doings this at 9.30 at night which I could barely see. I thought I had the thing lined up right but I didn't and kept trying over and over to put the bolt in. and next morning found out the hole for the bolt to go in was all messed up inside. sighs is there any way to fix this problem? if so please help. A FIT IS IN NEED OF REPAIR SNIFFLES. think if I bring it to honda can they fix the problem without costing me an arm and leg?

Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
yeah u have to get it re-tapped. I thought u needed 2 buy a new bolt in another thread u made? Anyways just take it 2 a mechanics shop n tell them 2 re-thread it for you.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
or you can do it yourself by going to sears and getting a tap and dye set.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Tap and die stuff

You do NOT need to go to a dealer for such a simple problem.
Go to any machine shop, mechanic shop, body shop, or even your friend who's sort of a handyman.
Most likely, the hole can be tapped to the same size and you can use the same bolt. If the hole is wallowed out and is now too big, you can either tap the treads for a slightly larger sized bolt, or you can ask the shop about putting a Helicoil (thread repair insert) in there.
The whole process will take less than ten minutes.

Conversely,
If the kit you were installing required you to drill a hole in the metal of your car, then you are probably not talking about a bolt at all, but a self-tapping screw. If that's the case, go to a slightly bigger screw.

Hopefully this will help you and save you some time. Best of luck.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:17 PM
wells yes I did needed another bolt in the other thread and someone helped me find it at bernadiparts.com and I ordered it. but now I realize that night when I tried to install the bolt in I kept trying and trying over and over again. and now inside the hole is really messed up now had to look twice and see. its like inside looks flat now with no threading left inside. wells I'll try to go machine shop or mechanic but I hope you guys are right because I wanna use the same bolt size and nothing bigger.

Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
yeah u have to get it re-tapped. I thought u needed 2 buy a new bolt in another thread u made? Anyways just take it 2 a mechanics shop n tell them 2 re-thread it for you.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F-IT!!!
wells yes I did needed another bolt in the other thread and someone helped me find it at bernadiparts.com and I ordered it. but now I realize that night when I tried to install the bolt in I kept trying and trying over and over again. and now inside the hole is really messed up now had to look twice and see. its like inside looks flat now with no threading left inside. wells I'll try to go machine shop or mechanic but I hope you guys are right because I wanna use the same bolt size and nothing bigger.
you may have oversized the hole from what I can gather. In that case, refer to the above post about a helicoil and you can use the same bolt.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:05 PM
sups again I finally got my hole re-thread and had to buy a new bolt from bernardiparts.com 11.35 altogether with shipping pretty high for just one bolt. anyways got the hole fixed by asking a friend that worked at a gasket shop and he had a whole bunch of bits to re thread the hole and he found the perfect one that fitted my hole. so now I'm happy and got my C-pillar bar back up. hu ray!!!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:25 AM
Thread Damaged Repair

Glad to hear you heading back to being fixed.

By the way, as mentioned a few times now on this thread, the helicoil is still an option. When used correctly, usually the new hole will be stronger than original strength before the hole was damaged. With a helicoil you are able to use the original bolt size and thread, which is usually the best option.

I use a tap and die set at work on occasion, and while they are cool tools, and can help you clean up threads nicely, once you've taken away a significant amount of meat from the hole, re-threading may not actually be as strong, dependent on how tightly you are planning on wrenching the bolt there again.

I had once done an oil change hastily under a scooter, strong armed the drain bolt without thinking twice about looking up at it to turn it the "right" way, and stripped it. The strippage was actually the lower case of the motor, not the bolt. My first instinct was to re-tap it, but once it was re-threaded, I couldn't tighten the bolt completely, which resulted in a very slight oil leak.

I found a kit at auto zone, which had the correct tap and helicoil to do the repair, and now that it is properly fixed, the bolt hole is stronger than my arm. You've got to be very careful in getting the right thread, too... lay the bolt against the tap to be sure that it lines up consistently without any variance to insure a true match.

Take your time, fix it right, and try not to let your damages exceed your repairs.