General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Test drove a Fit today

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Test drove a Fit today

Well I am in the debate of trading in my 07 Volkswagen GTI for a Honda Fit. So I picked up my little brother and I drove up to the dealership. I got out walked around looking at the Mugen Civic and some other Honda models. Waiting for someone to assist me. Ok, I walk around inside some more for someone to notice that I am not here just to browse casually. Finally I met an associate, he asked which model I was looking at. Said brb I'll grab the key. He then handed me the key(no questions asked) and said go have fun. So I drove around the area 30-45 mins to get a feel for the car. I am rather impressed by this humble little car. My family is telling me it would be quite the down grade. I know it is in alot of aspects, but I am still running it through my head.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Added note the car I drove was Blackberry Pearl awesome color.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jsmitty
Well I am in the debate of trading in my 07 Volkswagen GTI for a Honda Fit. So I picked up my little brother and I drove up to the dealership. I got out walked around looking at the Mugen Civic and some other Honda models. Waiting for someone to assist me. Ok, I walk around inside some more for someone to notice that I am not here just to browse casually. Finally I met an associate, he asked which model I was looking at. Said brb I'll grab the key. He then handed me the key(no questions asked) and said go have fun. So I drove around the area 30-45 mins to get a feel for the car. I am rather impressed by this humble little car. My family is telling me it would be quite the down grade. I know it is in alot of aspects, but I am still running it through my head.
I'm a great fan of the Fit, but here is one of the very few times I would not recommend it. If you paid cash for the GTI, that is one thing, but if you financed it, then you are really going to get hosed by trading in your GTI. You will lose a great deal of money on depreciation. In addition, unless the finance charges on your old loan were based upon the unpaid balance (which is quite rare these days) you are going to get hosed again on the financing. Before you go through with this transaction, please be sure you find out exactly how much this is going to cost you . This may be an offer you can refuse. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Thank you for the advice. That is one of the major concerns I am looking at going into this. Financially I am trying to get a cheaper car because for what I pay each month and the little amount of driving I do it seems trivial. Owning this car for one year so far I have only put around 5k miles. I don't make as much money living in this area so it has drastically cut my spending habits.But I am not in debt or making due with hardship because of it. I can afford my current car. I am hoping this will work out but I can't say it will for certain. I am just hoping for the best.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Retired Moderator
Well if you want a cheap fun little car the Fit is the one! Its a blast to drive, and very inexspensive to own! I get 35mpg on average!
It handles like a dream stock, but with springs and a sway bar its amazing! Even though your coming from a GTi im sure you will find the Fit a blast to drive, just with less power then what you have now lol..

Old 11-19-2007, 11:48 PM
I had pondered at the Fit before when it was coming to the U.S. market. But at the time it wasn't available yet. This car feels fun almost like driving my old RX-7 but in FWD form. Not exactly the same but you get the idea. The responsiveness of NA is great and a thrill to throw into corners.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:55 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
b/c the GTI is so new, and a higher class than the fit, I think you should keep it a while. You will lose too much money. As the GTI gets old get a fit.

The only way I'd suggest you trade in for a fit is 1) you're rich 2) you want better mileage 3) you want someting basic and light, etc.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 AM
GET THE FIT! GET THE FIT!! GET THE FIT!!!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 AM
All VWs are shit boxes. I had a MKIII and it was garbage. One guy my wife works with had a passat and had to pay 3k to fix an electrical issue.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:20 AM
But....but..it's German engineering

To the OP, you just got a car. Why not wait until the new Fit comes out so you can either get that (unless it's so hideious you can't drive it) or a a discount on the '08 Fit.

Is trading in a new car for another in a short time span common?

Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Rather than make a new thread. Figured I would continue this one. Drove the Blackberry Pearl manual again. Then for the heck of it drove Milano Red auto with paddle shifters. The auto wasn't too bad. But I did get the Blackberry Pearl. The dealer threw in plastic floor mats for free, t-shirt, mouse pad, free oil changes. So Monday I need to drop in and they are going to install the floor mat clips ( rotating clip I guess), and detail the car.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Rather than make a new thread. Figured I would continue this one. Drove the Blackberry Pearl manual again. Then for the heck of it drove Milano Red auto with paddle shifters. The auto wasn't too bad. But I did get the Blackberry Pearl. The dealer threw in plastic floor mats for free, t-shirt, mouse pad, free oil changes. So Monday I need to drop in and they are going to install the floor mat clips ( rotating clip I guess), and detail the car.

congrats!!! welcome to the fine family of Happy Honda owners!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
So did you trade in your GTI? Congrats! You got rid of a piece of crap j/k. Tshirt and mouse pad? Were they Fit stuff? Why was he so generous I only got gasoline.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Gordio
So did you trade in your GTI? Congrats! You got rid of a piece of crap j/k. Tshirt and mouse pad? Were they Fit stuff? Why was he so generous I only got gasoline.

Yes I did trade in the GTI. The car was fun, but it was a fat, piggy. Of course I am going to have Honda throw in free stuff for me. Plus the salesman was a real great guy. Probably made up for all the waiting I had to do. The shirt was just a regular Honda shirt, I think the mouse pad was Fit specific. They had a hat but I don't usually wear hats.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:09 PM
If you keep cars for a long time you will be happy. I used to drive a VW Golf that was a higher end version similar to the GTI. I loved it the first few years! But towards the end when the warranty ran out... nightmares began! I had a lot of electrical issues - even had to replace the entire dashboard once. Clutches popped out, power locks ceased to work, the alarm kept going off unprovoked (sometimes while driving!). And it cost a fortune to get fixed. You could only take it to a dealer for anything more daunting than an oil change or basic problem. They charged me thousands each time!

With my new Fit that I just bought last week I got an extended warranty on everything up to 7 years and 100,000 miles. I tend to keep cars a long time, and I was sold on the more reasonable maintenance on the Fit. It drives very similar to the VW in many ways.

Even if you don't keep it long, the resale value on a used Honda surpasses that of the VW. And CONSUMER REPORTS advises never to buy a used VW because of issues that pop up after a few years, and they do suggest any Honda as a wise used purchase.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Congratz man!
Welcome to the great world of Fit ownership!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks everyone!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
welcome to the FIT familly dude... enjoy it

Old 12-02-2007, 10:07 PM
If I was in your shoes I would not have traded, don't get me wrong I LOVE my little SILVER SHE DEMON. But thinking that you lost 3k-6k on a 1year old car that only have 5,000mil on it just blew my balls OFF. Paying 20k-23k for that GTi is not cheap and ending up lost 3-6k that just .

Any way welcome and what color is you Little Fit???

Old 12-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by SilverFit
If I was in your shoes I would not have traded, don't get me wrong I LOVE my little SILVER SHE DEMON. But thinking that you lost 3k-6k on a 1year old car that only have 5,000mil on it just blew my balls OFF. Paying 20k-23k for that GTi is not cheap and ending up lost 3-6k that just .

Any way welcome and what color is you Little Fit???
Yes, I did loose some but not that much. Blackberry Pearl.

Quick Reply: Test drove a Fit today