General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

what angers me

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
what angers me

I get so angry when driving my dad blazer on the highway and there are no semis to draft! When I get my fit I am going to draft it like mad. Anyone have drafting results for their fit?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
im not tailgating! im drafting! haha

Old 11-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned
You are willing to risk your life to save gas???

Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 PM
That's the stupidest thing I've read in this forum =/

Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Semi drivers hate it when you draft, it isn't exactly free energy... you can impact their fuel economy. Lots of them will flash the reverse spot lights at you if you start doing it, if somebody starts to draft me I intentionally slow down until they either back off or get pissed off and pass me. Nobody does it to my Fit, but when I had my Jeep it was boxy and created a gas-sucking vortex behind it thanks to the super boxy design. I always had little cars like 2 feet off my bumper when I was doing fast highway speeds.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
wats a Semi?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by claymore
You are willing to risk your life to save gas???
Yeah man, its not worth it in my opinion..Even 100ft from the truck your reaction times are alot less then having say a 300ft gap, plus if you drive 60-65mph on the freeway, you WILL get good gas mileage in the Fit, even with out drafting!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:26 PM
if i was a semi driver I'd draft other people

this is a semi

Old 11-14-2007, 12:27 PM
what angers me is threads like this... grow up!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by JackBurton
Were just having a little fun man, chill out...

Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by TOOL
Were just having a little fun man, chill out...
Wasn't talking to you...

Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by azkikersfit
wats a Semi?
A Semi is a 18 wheeler truck..Like in the pic above^

Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM
those trucks are up to 80-90 tons with trailer weight... do you think they'll notice you smacking into the back of them during a quick or hard emergency brake? If you can't see their side mirrors they likely can't see you.

During hard braking the trailer may normally bounce as the wheels lock.. so any jolts from a Fit impact may go completely unnoticed.

I seen a large passenger truck (think F150) rear end a semi truck with no trailer.. the semi truck was unphased.. the F150's front end got messed up really bad.

I used to have a lumina (larger car than fit) and slid slow speed into the back of a city bus, talking 10-20kph here, the bus driver didn't notice and continued on his merry way but my bumper and hood were peeled back like a fruit skin.

I guess my point is don't mess with the big rigs, you WILL lose if something goes wrong. Usually not worth the pennies in gas you may save.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by wpgfit
those trucks are up to 80-90 tons with trailer weight... do you think they'll notice you smacking into the back of them during a quick or hard emergency brake? If you can't see their side mirrors they likely can't see you.

During hard braking the trailer may normally bounce as the wheels lock.. so any jolts from a Fit impact may go completely unnoticed.

I seen a large passenger truck (think F150) rear end a semi truck with no trailer.. the semi truck was unphased.. the F150's front end got messed up really bad.

I used to have a lumina (larger car than fit) and slid slow speed into the back of a city bus, talking 10-20kph here, the bus driver didn't notice and continued on his merry way but my bumper and hood were peeled back like a fruit skin.

I guess my point is don't mess with the big rigs, you WILL lose if something goes wrong. Usually not worth the pennies in gas you may save.
Those are good words of advice!
I always try to get past big rigs quikly while on the freeway!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JackBurton
lol, nicely put

Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
those trucks are up to 80-90 tons with trailer weight...

Actually, that would be pounds. The max for 5 axles is 40 tons pretty much everywhere in the US. Of course if you've ever driven on I95 in Conn. in the morning that little factoid of weight relating to stopping power in no way prevents many a 4 wheeler from parallel parking in front of my rig at 65 MPH. Usually going for that same exit they use every freaking day of their working life from the third/fast lane at the very last second.

Absolutely unbelievable how most drivers have no idea of the consequences of some of their actions on the highway. Kinda like the op.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Drafting is a bad idea - unless, of course, you are on a race track.

Simple fact - if the car in front of you panic stops (full lock up on the brakes), and you hit them - you're AT FAULT for the accident... Not worth the safety risk, or the insurance hike risk.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
To everyone who thinks drafting is dangerous: How close are you drafting I stay like pretty far back not like a 300 yrds away or anything like that, but if a semi has a panic stop I think i a less than 3000lbs car can be stopped quicker than a 19 ton truck. So calm down

Old 11-14-2007, 06:49 PM
You have to be going very fast to draft. If you think you're drafting at 80mph, you're wrong....wind is still hitting your car, especially if it's a fit. I also agree with the posters above, this is a retarded thread.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM
you're right.. brain fart.. 80-90 thousand pounds never did get into that type of driving, have an uncle I went with on a few trips.. loaded up with heavy giant paper rolls.

I would have to agree with the crazy antics on US highways though. It happened to snow heavily when I went with him and during a stretch of highway in minnesota we seen cars in the ditch, no one really slowing down, saw some lady fly into the ditch (median ditch between each direction). Stopped to see if she was alright and people nearly ran us over at high speed (slinging slush all over).

Originally Posted by bmp956
those trucks are up to 80-90 tons with trailer weight...

Actually, that would be pounds. The max for 5 axles is 40 tons pretty much everywhere in the US. Of course if you've ever driven on I95 in Conn. in the morning that little factoid of weight relating to stopping power in no way prevents many a 4 wheeler from parallel parking in front of my rig at 65 MPH. Usually going for that same exit they use every freaking day of their working life from the third/fast lane at the very last second.

Absolutely unbelievable how most drivers have no idea of the consequences of some of their actions on the highway. Kinda like the op.

Quick Reply: what angers me