General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Which type of unleaded do you use for your Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Which type of unleaded do you use for your Fit?

Just wondering about experiences with fuel, are you folks treating your Fit to the regular unleaded, the middle one or the Super? Any problems or issues using the regular unleaded over the long term?

I've been arguing with my wife over the fact that we should probably put the Super in (long term), once we buy our Fit.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 PM
there are a lot of other post's out about what fuel to use but in my findings there is really no reason to use anything but 87 (which honda recomends) unless you have a bunch of power add on's. i have used 93 twice and didnt see any difference in mileage or performance so i am sticking with 87.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
usually 87 but once in a while ill put 91

Old 11-12-2007, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
87 no point in using anything higher on a stock fit.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Use what the manual tells you to use. *puts on glasses* Page 136 in the Honda Fit manual says:

Your vehicle is designed to operate
on unleaded gasoline with a pump
octane number of 87 or higher. Use
of a lower octane gasoline can cause
a persistent, heavy metallic rapping
noise that can lead to engine damage.
In addition, in order to maintain good
performance, fuel economy, and
emissions control, we strongly
recommend, in areas where it is
available, the use of gasoline that
does NOT contain manganese-based
fuel additives such as MMT.
Use of gasoline with these additives
may adversely affect performance,
and cause the malfunction indicator
lamp on your instrument panel to
come on. If this happens, contact
your authorized dealer for service.
Some gasoline today is blended with
oxygenates such as ethanol or
MTBE. Your vehicle is designed to
operate on oxygenated gasoline
containing up to 10 % ethanol by
volume and up to 15 % MTBE by
volume. Do not use gasoline
containing methanol.
If you notice any undesirable
operating symptoms, try another
service station or switch to another
brand of gasoline.
For further important fuel-related
information, please refer to your
Avoid hard braking for the first
200 miles (300 km).
Do not change the oil until the
scheduled maintenance time.
You should also follow these
recommendations with an
overhauled or exchanged engine, or
when the brakes are replaced.
We recommend using quality
gasolines containing detergent
additives that help prevent fuel
system and engine deposits.

Damn that's a lotta words.......doesn't really help answer your question but I enjoyed reading it =P

Last edited by HapaLynai; 11-13-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Banned
for the NOOBIE that can't be bothered to SEARCH a nice small 5,000+ post thread to answer your question. We sure don't need ANOTHER octane post. Your WIFE knows more about cars than you there is no benefit to using super and wasting all that extra money.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ghlight=octane

Last edited by claymore; 11-13-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Ugh...MTBE. Saw a documentary on it earlier this year. It said that MTBE cannot be broken down naturally. The grossest thing I learned is that the underground gas tanks at gas stations would leak and the fuel will get mixed into ground water and sewage. Currently there's no water filtration process that can filter these additives. In fact, City of Santa Monica sued the petrol companies that use MTBE and won. With that money they're putting it into a new filtration plant that could remove this harmful substance. That's why I now longer drink was from the tap. I only bottled water here in Santa Monica. It's upsetting because the companies can easily use ethonal as an additive, which is much cleaner and breaks down but the process is more expensive so they choose the cheaper MTBE because it's readily available. It's a byproduct of processed crude oil.

It's ironic how new EPA laws are meant to help the environment one way but it is negated by destroying it in another. We get clean air with MTBE but we poison our bodies and environment with it. Sorry for the side track, just thought you guys should know.

Last edited by I<3GD3; 11-13-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 AM
I've always noticed a slight amount of performance when using a higher octane...When i went on a road trip i used premium and noticed 2-3 extra mpg difference (highway)

People have always told me that the fuel pre detonates and yada yada its bad for the engine but...all of my cars i've been doing this with for a while and have never noticed anything but extra mpg gains. Correct me if i'm wrong...but i've always used premium at chevron...and i've never had a catastrophic engine failure yet lol~

Old 11-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i use the regular unleaded here in california. i think it's like 87 or something, i don't really pay attention but i know it's fine. just use regular and don't worry about it. my family's had a couple of accords with 200k+ miles on them. just sold them but the motors were perfectly fine, always passed smog never had any motor problems, and we always used regular unleaded. also used fram filters 100% of the time, even though everybody says they're really horrible. but they were fine on our cars so i don't know.

i guess what i'm trying to say is just don't worry about using higher octane you'll be alright with regular! (thumbs up)

Old 11-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wilkens21
Just wondering about experiences with fuel, are you folks treating your Fit to the regular unleaded, the middle one or the Super? Any problems or issues using the regular unleaded over the long term?

I've been arguing with my wife over the fact that we should probably put the Super in (long term), once we buy our Fit.

Hey, just use regular and your Fit will love it! I put Super in a few weeks after I bought the car and it hated that gas. Did not run as smoothly - I ran it out and filled with 87 and it purred like a
kitten

Cat :x

Old 11-13-2007, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Regular, name-brand gas is good. BP/Amoco, Chevron/Texaco, even the Citgo from Mr. Hate's country (Venezuela).
I did have one BAD tankful of cheapass gas. I was almost out of gas, and bought it at a no-name station near my house. I usually get 34MPG on name-brand regular, but got only 21 with that gas. Next time I need gas in that neighborhood, I will take my chances on running out.