General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Decreasing mileage...help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Unhappy Decreasing mileage...help...

Heres the deal, I was living in Colorado Springs (6,000ft+) and getting good mileage. I replaced the stock air filter with a K & N filter and go over 40 MPG that tank. After I filled up again we moved to Bellevue, Nebraska. We loaded up the car quite a bit, couple hundred pounds probably, and got considerably less mileage on the way - as expected with all that weight. Ever since we got here though mileage has not gone above 30 and Im starting to think that something might be wrong. Would a change in altitude make that big of a difference. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. BTW its a AT Sport.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 PM
felix.avellana,
There may be a higher concentration of ethanol in the gas used in Nebraska which would lower your gas mileage? Has anything else changed.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Felix,

What about winds? Colorado Springs sits tucked up next to the Rocky Mountains and is rarely windy. Whereas, most of Wyoming is considerably more windy.... I'm uncertain where Bellevue, NE is, though. But if your driving in heavy winds (such as along I-80 or I-25), the increased resistance would cause your vehicle to use more fuel. Just a thought. I know every time I drive through Wyoming (on I-80) I get worse fuel economy.

I'm from Arvada, CO (prior to joining the military).

I hope your mileage improves.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
I'm with Dojo. Right about now (late october/early november) is when they switch over to oxygenated gas, which means terrible mileage for all!

You should see a label on the pump with something like "Between October 31 and April 1 the gasoline dispensed from this pump is oxygenated" yadda yadda. If you also see a label that says "Contains up to 10% ethanol" be prepared to never see 40 MPG again! (at least until summer)

I'm still going to try and keep up my 40.5 MPG average thogh.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:10 PM
+1 on what Dojo said also, and how about the tire pressure, if you loaded it up, some air might have seeped out maybe? also when was the last time you changed your oil and cleaned your air filter?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RichXKU
I'm with Dojo. Right about now (late october/early november) is when they switch over to oxygenated gas, which means terrible mileage for all!

You should see a label on the pump with something like "Between October 31 and April 1 the gasoline dispensed from this pump is oxygenated" yadda yadda. If you also see a label that says "Contains up to 10% ethanol" be prepared to never see 40 MPG again! (at least until summer)

Is this a northern thing? I have never noticed anything like this in Florida.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by osborne
Is this a northern thing? I have never noticed anything like this in Florida.
Yeah it looks that way. I found this link from Chevron:

Chevron - Oxygenated Gasoline

Supposed to be for air quality control in the cold states... but if you're burning 5-10% more gas when this is in effect it makes me wonder how it helps.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Very informative post guys.. thanks....

As for me... my guestimate mpg is somewhere between 33-38 mpg depending on my weekly activities (being a public school teacher, living 18.5 miles from work/30+ minutes it can be troublesome...)

Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
I live in Omaha, NE and have been getting between 31 and 33 in town using 87 octane with NO ethenol. I am driving a MT sport. Not sure what other AT drivers are getting around town though. We do not have oxygenated gasoline here.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by RichXKU

Ethanol could very likely be the reason. However, I haven't found ANY gas in my area that DOESN'T contain ethanol. As a result, my highest mileage has been 28 mpg. Rich, do you have gasoline without ethanol in your area? I don't think it exists in the Philadelphia area at all!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
Felix,
You should be able to go to a gas station called Quick Trip (QT) and purchase 87 WITH OUT ethanol. I'm sure that alot of other stations around Bellevue also have 87 with out but I know QT does for sure. I would try that and see if it makes a difference. Good luck and welcome to the hood!

Old 11-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the input...

I will look out for the gas at the QT stations. I appreciate all the input from everyone. In an attempt to all those questions:
Nothing has changed, the tire pressure is the same I always have it at and the air filter is a little over a month old. I had the oil changed a little while before that. The winds are quite high a times but I didnt think that would have that drastic of an effect. I guess will just hope that the 87 helps and may improve after the months with the oxygenated gasoline.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
LK: Yes I don't think there is any "pure" gas available in PA, only "Up to 10% Ethanol" mixes. Oxygenation is another mileage ding ontop of ethanol however.

I just filled up tonight for the first time since Oct 3rd, I forgot to look for the oxygenation label cause I was in a hurry, but we'll see how the mileage is now.

That's a shame about the 28 MPG... something has to be going on. I actually cleared 29 on a tank once in the STi (with a lot of concentration). This last tank in the Fit was 39.5, and less than half was highway.

That means I could drive an extra trip from Philadelphia to Stamford, CT on every tank of gas at 39 vs. 28 MPG.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Higher altitudes have a lower density of air. Lower density of air means less Oxygen during the operation of your engine. The ECU would cut fuel back due to the less oxygen. This would make your car seem more efficient (lower HP though). Nebraska is lower so your ECU would automatically inject more fuel for the increased oxygen levels. Your car may have "learned" to run at High altitudes and now is using more fuel to compensate for the higher density of the air. As an experiment you could disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and see if your ECU would relearn its fuel mapping for the lower altitude with higher density air.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by felix.avellana
The winds are quite high a times but I didnt think that would have that drastic of an effect.
Wind can play a huge roll in fuel mileage.

If the wind is blowing with you (back to front) it will have minimal help. But a headwind (front to back) will hurt your mileage. With the amount of travel I do between California and Colorado, I see this on a regular basis.

Now I'm not saying you should pull a Tiger Woods, and check the wind each time you step into your Fit. It's just one of the MANY variables in the fuel mileage game.

-Oscar Jackson Jr.

Last edited by OJRKraftWerks; 12-08-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 PM
I drive to and from Omaha daily during the week and have over 7,500 miles on my Fit. It has averaged over 34 MPG from the day i picked it up from Williamson Honda in early September. The mileage breakdown is approx. 65% interstate and 35% city and I have never gotten below 29 MPG. The drive to Omaha has a hand full of hills and variable speeds from 55 to 75. I would take it to Superior Honda and have them look at it.

Last edited by Biven5; 12-08-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
i have always gotten 15% or so worse mileage from roughly halloween til valentines day. So far with my fit, I have been averaging around 33/34, with a high of 40 and a low of 29. However, my last 4 or 5 tanks have all been below 30mpg, 27/28 mostly. I know for an absolute fact that this due to the winter fuel mix we get in the "cold" winter states (ie, pretty much anywhere that doesnt border mexico or the gulf of mexico, lol.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:00 PM
I live in Ohio, near the PA border. Is all the gas in my area this special crappy mpg winter mix???? Is there anywhere to get regular gas? What do I look for? I've never noticed any ethanol signs or oxygenation warnings or whatever.

I'm getting 27 mpg right now and I'm driving easy. Only got 675 miles on my Sport AT. What's up? (all city driving btw....no highway trips yet)

Old 12-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Give the car a few thousand miles for the consistent higher MPG to set in, mang.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by storm88000
Give the car a few thousand miles for the consistent higher MPG to set in, mang.
Is 7000 enough? I'm still getting about 26 MPG.

Quick Reply: Decreasing mileage...help...