General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Deer!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Not sure if the deer died, the cops just told me they saw it, but not what state it was in. I probably at least broke a few of its legs, so it probably died eventually, if not right away.

Am I a bad person for being more upset about my car than the deer? I don't hate deer, but that deer sure hated me!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
nah dude id be more pissed bout my car than the deer... the dumb thing ddnt get out fo my way! it majorly F-ed my car... i'd b really pissed if it didnt die...im sure members of PETA or sum shit would freak out that they killed a poor deer but hell theres millions of deer!!!!!! who cares if 1 or 100 die! so no oyu are not horrible for being more upset about your car than the deer... now if it were a white tiger or some thing thats a different story... but who hits a white tiger lol

Old 11-08-2007, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
see, when my friend and i hit that deer, out first reaction was "WHERE'S THE DEER?? IS IT OK???" because we both felt absolutely horrible. we were both literally way more concerned about the deer than even making sure each other was ok, haha .

Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Jazzmin: you are absolutely right. Given the choice between swerving and possibly losing control/hitting something else -or- going right for the deer... it's better to take the deer. Your insurance adjuster can tell a deer impact. If you hit something else and *say* you were avoiding a deer, that just looks like bad driving on your part and you get a huge rate hike.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
I feel the pain my friend ,,,
I hit a bear with mine,,
look here for pictures,,,,
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-help-plz.html

Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
This season so far definitley has the most amount of deer I've seen.. ugh..

Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Lizard. I freaked-out when I got a few tiny scratches on my rear bumper (fixed now). I can't imagine what I'd do if a deer decided to fly over my Fit. Please keep us informed.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by TomPer
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Lizard. I freaked-out when I got a few tiny scratches on my rear bumper (fixed now). I can't imagine what I'd do if a deer decided to fly over my Fit. Please keep us informed.
I spent more time than my wife was happy with washing, claying, and waxing my Fit (I only clayed it twice in 7 months!) and polishing out scratches. I too freaked out when I scraped the front bumper on a curb, but that fix will now be included with the replacement bumper, so I get freebie with that! The scrape in the back by the hatch will still be my own responsibility, however.

Last edited by LizardKing; 11-09-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Im so glad I dont have to worry about deers and bears where I live. The only thing we could possibly hit are cats or dogs, or maybe even a wild rabbit. Still, I would hate to hit something, especially if it isnt killed instantly and it suffers on the side of the road.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Suzi_q
Im so glad I dont have to worry about deers and bears where I live. The only thing we could possibly hit are cats or dogs, or maybe even a wild rabbit. Still, I would hate to hit something, especially if it isnt killed instantly and it suffers on the side of the road.
so far, my fit's had a bird fly into it on the highway and a baby possum run out too fast for me to swerve around. it broke my heart each time

Old 11-15-2007, 02:46 PM
I just got the repair estimate: $7554! This includes $250 for each headlight, $200 for one fog light, $200 for the sport bumper, $600 for the throttle body, almost $400 for the radiator assembly, $170 each for the left and right fenders, $220 for the radiator support, $230 for the hood, and an outside welder will repair the engine block for an unlisted amount!

There are also some bs charges, like $3 each for several labels! The Parts total is close to $4000, and over $400 each for paint and tax. I'm SO glad my insurance will pay for all but $500!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
wow... that was an expensive deer... glad your covered on it.... hopefully your baby will be back soon!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
The impact cracked the engine block!? I don't like the sound of a welded block at all

Old 11-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by RichXKU
The impact cracked the engine block!? I don't like the sound of a welded block at all
This is what it says:

76# Subl REPAIR EMGINE [sic] BLOCK-PER INVOICE MCCLURKEN WELDING [phone number]FOXCHASE PA 1 X

Where 76# is the line number, "Subl" is the "OP.", 1 is the quantity, and X is the price (yes, it shows as an X)

Old 11-16-2007, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Heh, let's hope "Mcclurken welding" knows something more about Honda engine block tolerances than "Dis broke" or "dis ain't broke"

Keep us updated!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by RichXKU
The guy told me that an "ear" broke off the edge of the block and a new one needed to be welded back on. The block itself was ok, just a support structure was damaged.

I should have my Fit back some time this week. I hope. The Mazda 3 rental is *ok*. It's no Fit. It shifts a little smoother, but there are no other advantages! Besides, the 80% my insurance covers for a rental sounds like a lot, and the $5.xx I'm paying a day for it sounds very low, but when you realize I've had it for 30 days, which is an additional $150, it really starts to add up!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
your situation isnt too bad. i hit a deer (the size of a cow almost.. well.. it was huge) going 55mph with my 2 week old 2006 Civic SI last year. ended up to be $4,000 in damages. insurance didn't cover it because my mom forgot to pay for the policy. i was shit out of luck. i just got done paying off the loan i got to pay for the repairs. i sold my SI and was negative on the sale so i had to fork up an extra $2,000. i now have a 2008 Fit and I'm glad that everything's over.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by n4t3s6
your situation isnt too bad. i hit a deer (the size of a cow almost.. well.. it was huge) going 55mph with my 2 week old 2006 Civic SI last year. ended up to be $4,000 in damages. insurance didn't cover it because my mom forgot to pay for the policy.
Say what???? If you had a written agreement with the insurance company, as in, they had all your information on your car and plan and you knew all your deductibles and stuff, then they were legally covering you, regardless if you sent in the first payment or not. My brother is currently in law school and we talk about this kind of stuff often. He said there is actually a name for this type of situation that happens on occasion, but the name escapes me right now. But all in all, your insurance company could get in a lot trouble if they offered you coverage but refused to because you didn't send the check yet or whatever, but it sounds like that situation is already over. That sucks, you got royally screwed.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:36 PM
So I got my Fit back this past Saturday. I'll post (black and white, that's all I could get) pictures once i (re)scan them. They'll look bad, but you'll have an idea what the car looked like!

The mechanics showed me where the fram has smooshed into tot intake manifold, leaving some bits of paint and a scratch. Both of them told me its completely cosmetic and won't affect the way the car runs at all, but that with my insurance, I am entitled to have it replaced or the amount it would cost to do so (including labor). Both mechanics also told me that they'd take the money, if they were in my situation. My question is, how much does an OEM intake manifold cost? I didn't see it on my preliminary estimate.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Deer have a right to live. Just because man decides to overpopulate and steal their land, dosen't meant your "Fit" is allowed to kil a deer. Get a grip on real life.

Quick Reply: Deer!