General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2009 Fit has higher gear ratios

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in the same boat as you, I row through the gears all the time. But on the highway it's not all that worth it. Especially since some times it's just nice to leave it in 5th and go on a longer commute. I could care less about MPG. Getting better city mileage than my 8th gen Civic and twice the mileage my old Dakota was getting.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
I have the slushbox version, but would have bought the manual box if my wife were not going to drive the car. To me, shifting is a lot more fun and I can control the shift points to make the car wind up for go or grunt out a gear for mileage (maybe).

A tall 5th or even a 6th speed is not for shifting purposes, rather than for cruising at highway speeds. Sure, you'll have to downshift for passing or hills, but so be it. In the long run, the taller gear will/should give you the better mileage and less wear on the engine for spinning less rpm. Or, you could always just leave it in 4th, spin 3500-4000 rpm at highway speeds just so that you don't have to downshift. Whatever your preference, but I'm sure the engine spinning at that rpm will make a lot more noise than 2500 rpm.

Adding a 6th speed on top of the existing 5 would be better IMO. Keep the same gearing and add the 6th to match the 5th gear in the slushbox. That way, you don't lose anything. 5 gears to get to ~3500 rpm @ 65 mph means close ratios and a lot of shifting.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:26 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
Because people want better gas mileage on the highway and to get that they want a taller 5th gear which will make them downshift more and negate any mpg gains by having a taller 5th gear. Not everyone will fall asleep at the wheel unless they have to downshift every few minutes. It's more efficient to stay in the gear your in if you it will move you where you need to go at an acceptable speed. It also saves wear on your clutch.
downshifting is only needed if you need to cruise uphill. if the road is flat or downgraded, a taller overdrive is best for mileage.

Downshifting also won't kill ur gas unless you floor the pedal. You can downshift and still feather foot it, because u need a tiny boost. throttle affects mileage/torque/horsepower as well. it's not just the RPMs

Old 11-03-2007, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
The only one that was adament about starting an arguement was you. The OP posted this thread about a taller 5th gear, I and a couple others posted against it, you wanted to argue against us why we were wrong. Looking through your other posts it seems all you want to do is argue - you complain about people not properly giving the form of an average mean, then when they correct it you go and complain about them using too many decimel points. If all you want to do is find ways to disagree and/or push everyone's buttons that don't have the same convictions as you, then just keep quiet.
Nonsense. Thanks for doing a search of all my posts (the phrase "get a life" comes to mind ), but in the thread you're talking about, I simply pointed out that saying "I average between 35 and 40 mpg" (or something similar) begs the definition of "average". An average is a single number that typifies a range of numbers. To call a range of numbers an "average" makes no sense. The range of numbers is what you are averaging.

The person you are referring to didn't "correct it", he misconstrued what I was saying. He wrongly thought I meant that an average needed to have a lot of decimal places. It doesn't - it only needs to be a single number as opposed to a range of numbers. When I pointed this out, he did what people in this thread are doing - he continued to argue just for the sake of argument. In short, he was being a smart-ass.

If you're too slow to understand the definition of "average", and to understand that a single number is not necessarily the same thing as a number with a lot of decimal places, then you should stay out of it. I'm not here to "push buttons", but I'm certainly not going to shy away from calling it as I see it.

I made a legitimate point here. If that angers people, and makes them want to throw out a bunch of specious arguments just to "get back" at me, then so be it. But I'm not the one just making up a bunch of bullshit just for the sake of having an argument.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
I could care less about MPG.
But some of us do care. And of all the non-hybrid cars Honda sells in the U.S., the Fit gets the best mileage. That's why it puzzles me that anyone thinks mileage wouldn't be a selling point for the Fit. OF COURSE it is.

It's about choice. If you want a lot of power, you can leave it in 4th gear, or 3rd even. If you're just cruising, you can put it in 5th gear. If your 5th gear is more like a 4th gear (and there's no 6th gear), you don't have a choice.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Haha at the get a life comment, I guess wasting 5 minutes of my life looking through your, then 19, posts is a clear indicator of how I spent my whole day. And I never said you were wrong in your definition, my point was that you were nitpicky and created an confrontation when there didn't need to be one. Then when the guy conceeded to your request and gave you an average with decimels you flipped out on him some more. I'm not sure how you calculate MPG but when I do it I've never gotten a whole number. So instead of posting his range of MPG he gave you his average of said range, which consisted of intergered numbers and therefore gave an average with decimels.

And for the record the FG1/FA1 (8th Gen D/L/EX Civics) get EPA 36/4 with the 5AT/5MT respectively. highway compared to the Fit's 34 based on the 2008 EPA standards.

Regardless I'm done posting in this thread.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
And I never said you were wrong in your definition, my point was that you were nitpicky and created an confrontation when there didn't need to be one.
No, actually he did that. I just corrected his misconception.
Then when the guy conceeded to your request and gave you an average with decimels you flipped out on him some more.
I "flipped out", huh? O.K., whatever you say.
I'm not sure how you calculate MPG but when I do it I've never gotten a whole number.
There have been a lot of discussions on how to calculate MPG. I suggest you read some of them. It's really not that hard. (Maybe for you, though.)

An average must be a single number. It doesn't have to be a "whole" number, and it doesn't have to be a number with a lot of decimal points. But it does have to be a single number. Otherwise it's not an average. Honestly, this is not rocket science here. If you calculate an average and get "it's between x and y" as your answer, you have not done it correctly. Don't know how else to keep explaining it, friend.
So instead of posting his range of MPG he gave you his average of said range, which consisted of intergered numbers and therefore gave an average with decimels.
First, intergered is not a word. Second, what he did was be a smartass by posting an average calculated to too many decimal places, because he didn't understand the point I had made. Then he just wanted to keep arguing for no particular reason, and I don't have time for such nonsense.
And for the record the FG1/FA1 (8th Gen D/L/EX Civics) get EPA 36/4 with the 5AT/5MT respectively. highway compared to the Fit's 34 based on the 2008 EPA standards.
Not sure what you're talking about. The 2008 Fit manual transmission gets 28/34. The 2008 base model Civic manual transmission gets 26/34. I'm talking about manual transmissions. Don't know what you're talking about, and frankly, don't care.
Regardless I'm done posting in this thread.
God I hope so.

Last edited by Fitty McFit; 11-04-2007 at 04:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:01 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Ack please calm down. I don't want to use my mod powers for this thread. I haven't ever locked a thread far (it's been peaceful so long sometimes I forget I'm a mod)...and I prefer to keep it that way. We all love the fit. Let's talk more positive.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio
Ack please calm down. I don't want to use my mod powers for this thread. I haven't ever locked a thread far (it's been peaceful so long sometimes I forget I'm a mod)...and I prefer to keep it that way. We all love the fit. Let's talk more positive.
If you wanted to shut down the bickering, you should have done it way back in Aisenfury's post #21, which is where it began. A little late if you ask me, but I'll be glad to drop it if he will.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
God you have to be the biggest internet tool I've ever met. The exact reason we've been bickering and the other guy from the other thread was is because all you do is attack at the other person's intelligence. You say the same thing over and over and the only way you defend your position is by trying to show how much smarter you are than the other person which is irrevelant and stupid. Who cares if intergered is not a word, it has nothing to do with anything except to make you feel better by pointing out something someone else is doing wrong. Your previous posts have continued to show that you don't care and you don't think you're doing anything wrong. I don't need to read through a thread and find out how to calculate my MPG and average it so you're satisfied with my number. How can the guy be rediculous if you tell him his definition of average is wrong when he gives you a range, and then you tell him he's wrong just to rub it in his face like you couldn't get an idea for his average anyway, no need to correct him. And when he AVERAGES the numbers he has and comes out with a decimel you tell him not to be an ass you don't need all the decimels. That situation right there is insofar of it's self proof enough that the only reason there has been bickering is because you provoke it. My #21 post was only in response to the fact that you failed to argue a point and resulted in trying to show how Chikubi and I were on a much inferior level than you and we had no idea what we were talking about.

Let me write it out in simplier terms for you... the current generation Civics get 36mpg highway with the automatic and 34mpg highway with the 5 speed. The Fit gets 34mpg highway with the 5 speed in the base and 33mpg highway in the Sport. So yes, there is another non-hybrid car from Honda that gets the same and better mpg than the Fit. I'm surprised you're not already just driving around in a Prius with your I'm-better-than-you attitude.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Apparently you are unwilling to drop it as the moderator has requested, so I will simply ignore your further attempts to provoke an argument from me. Good bye.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Fitty McFit
Nonsense. Thanks for doing a search of all my posts (the phrase "get a life" comes to mind ), but in the thread you're talking about, I simply pointed out that saying "I average between 35 and 40 mpg" (or something similar) begs the definition of "average". An average is a single number that typifies a range of numbers. To call a range of numbers an "average" makes no sense. The range of numbers is what you are averaging.

The person you are referring to didn't "correct it", he misconstrued what I was saying. He wrongly thought I meant that an average needed to have a lot of decimal places. It doesn't - it only needs to be a single number as opposed to a range of numbers. When I pointed this out, he did what people in this thread are doing - he continued to argue just for the sake of argument. In short, he was being a smart-ass.

If you're too slow to understand the definition of "average", and to understand that a single number is not necessarily the same thing as a number with a lot of decimal places, then you should stay out of it. I'm not here to "push buttons", but I'm certainly not going to shy away from calling it as I see it.

I made a legitimate point here. If that angers people, and makes them want to throw out a bunch of specious arguments just to "get back" at me, then so be it. But I'm not the one just making up a bunch of bullshit just for the sake of having an argument.
I am the person to whom Mr FittyMcFit said, "he misconstrued what I was saying." You can believe whatever you wish Fitty, but you are totally wrong again. Now, it appears as if you are having another one of your McFits, and what do you know, I was not even involved in this one. But you just keep on writing Fitty, the more you write, the more transparent you become.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Shudderbug - as I pointed out in the other thread, you are a troll, and are just trying to goad a reaction out of me. Sorry, not gonna play that game. Good bye to you as well...

Old 11-04-2007, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Shudderbug - as I pointed out in the other thread, you are a troll, and are just trying to goad a reaction out of me. Sorry, not gonna play that game. Good bye to you as well...

Old 11-04-2007, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
I can't stop laughing from the "McFit" comment... classic! +1

Old 11-04-2007, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
I see you guys are showing your true colors.

Mods - you just gonna let this go on? These two need to be banned from this forum. Surely you have a rule against this kind of behavior?

Old 11-04-2007, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
So you can call me stupid and ignorant but as soon as we make fun of you we should be banned? How supercilious and hypocritical. Stop being such a little girl.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:44 AM
Part of Fitty McFit's quote from post #64: "he did what people in this thread are doing - he continued to argue just for the sake of argument. In short, he was being a smart-ass."

I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving. You showed me how to figure out my mileage, i.e., if I don't use too many decimal points.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:00 AM
Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
^Random... but kinda neat.

Quick Reply: 2009 Fit has higher gear ratios