General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit accident in the news

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Fit accident in the news

Looks like a few kids stole a blue base fit and took it for a joyride and smacked into a pillar.

Queens residents rescue teens from burning car after wreck

update, one teen dead...

Fiery Queens crash kills teenager

Last edited by cliu; 10-18-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Retired Moderator
What a bunch of stupid kids....They learned there lesson the hard way.

That Fit looks pretty bad!

Old 10-17-2007, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
indeed they learned there lesson, thats what they get for stealing a car, what ever goes around comes around!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
It never pays to steal. *tisk**tisk*

On the upside, while the fit does look to be in bad shape, I'd say it is due in part to the use of the jaws of life to extract the two front passengers by removing the roof. If you envisioned the roof to still be intact in that photo, well I'd say the car, for all it's pint sized glory, held up okay. I mean, the internal bumper support or whatever it's called in there, the car frame looks to be decently still straight, and those kids were saved from further injury or death by all those standard airbags. The crunch zones did exactly what they were supposed to do, absorbing the brunt of the impact force. So, all in all, I'd say we fit owners can definitely rest assured that this car can handle being wrecked not only in crash test settings but in the real world and will do all it can to keep the occupants out of as much harm as possible (slamming into a concrete pillar, well, there's not a whole lot any car could do...)
My hope is that these kids walk away from this, and not only earn a lesson - and also realize that Honda, the miracle company, is all about second chances 8-) (how cliche, right?)

Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
I feel sorry for the Fit and its owner, but not for the retards who stole it. Hope they recover to a long and painful therapy to teach them a lesson.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
i thought that with an immobilizer, you cant steal a car!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Retired Moderator
Maybe the got a hold of a key or something...it is a safety concern now that it is possible to steal a Fit

Stupid kids...seriously I don't feel bad at all...if you are gonna be a retard and steal a car, I couldn't be happier at the result. Not for the owner, but for the retarded kids...kinda sadistic I know, but I really don't care for stupid people doing stupid things...

Old 10-17-2007, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
the owner could of left the car running while running somewhere for a minute

Old 10-17-2007, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
i thought that with an immobilizer, you cant steal a car!!!
Thieves have had years to get around that already. With RSX's and S2000's being recovered at chop shops and showing up at insurance auctions under stolen recovery titles, I'm sure they've gotten around that little gap.

Honda Fits can be stolen, immobilizers are just another small thing in a thief's way.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
wow really sux for the owner.. as said before the kids got what they deserve... and yes the fit did hold up pretty well.... i am glad to know that the car is built so well...and ANY car is stealable... immobilizers just make it harder

Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 PM
I wonder how the Fit was stolen. It's a shame that none of them died (yet?)

Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
It never pays to steal. *tisk**tisk*

On the upside, while the fit does look to be in bad shape, I'd say it is due in part to the use of the jaws of life to extract the two front passengers by removing the roof. If you envisioned the roof to still be intact in that photo, well I'd say the car, for all it's pint sized glory, held up okay. I mean, the internal bumper support or whatever it's called in there, the car frame looks to be decently still straight, and those kids were saved from further injury or death by all those standard airbags. The crunch zones did exactly what they were supposed to do, absorbing the brunt of the impact force. So, all in all, I'd say we fit owners can definitely rest assured that this car can handle being wrecked not only in crash test settings but in the real world and will do all it can to keep the occupants out of as much harm as possible (slamming into a concrete pillar, well, there's not a whole lot any car could do...)
My hope is that these kids walk away from this, and not only earn a lesson - and also realize that Honda, the miracle company, is all about second chances 8-) (how cliche, right?)
The catching on fire and roasting the occupants is kinda worrisome...

Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by HapaLynai
I wonder how the Fit was stolen. It's a shame that none of them died (yet?)
Are you trying to say that you want them to die ?

Old 10-18-2007, 03:50 AM
Originally Posted by abcsr2ez4me
Thieves have had years to get around that already. With RSX's and S2000's being recovered at chop shops and showing up at insurance auctions under stolen recovery titles, I'm sure they've gotten around that little gap.

Honda Fits can be stolen, immobilizers are just another small thing in a thief's way.
Immobilizers can be gotten around? This is worrisome news to me. I had a lot of faith in this anti-theft device.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
I think (hope) these kids have learned a valuable lesson, they were all so close to death.
Poor Fit, what did it ever to do deserve that???

Old 10-18-2007, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
sorry but my sympathy meter for the dead perps is reading about 0.0% right now.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by facade
The catching on fire and roasting the occupants is kinda worrisome...
Eh, they were probably lit, or smokin' up. Whatever it is kids do these days...

whip-its, goof-balls, you know, sniffin' glue.

As if there aren't enough car chases in movies and in real life where the thief crashes (heck, even the hero/heroine who steals a car to do something heroic occasional ends up in a wreck) these kids somehow thought they'd just get a nice joyride...

Well, now two of them can limp their pathetic selves through PT someday while their now departed accomplice rots away 6 feet under.

The sad part is I bet if they went to some local high school, there'll be some big memorial service and they'll make them out to be some huge loss, when in reality, while I do not condone death, violent, fiery, or otherwise, they got what was coming. (who steals a car thinking they'll have a happy ending?)

Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

Old 10-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Stupid kids....poor Fit!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Immobilizers can be gotten around, but it's not easy and I believe you need some expensive equipment. Most likely they stole the keys from someone or it was left running like someone else said. It appears to have taken most of the impact on the passenger side of the vehicle, so it's no wonder that the kid in the passenger seat was the one to expire. Who knows if they were even wearing their seat belts. The fit is a nimble creature so I wonder how it lost control and slammed into that pole sideways.

It's good news to hear the community helping rescue people from the wreck, but those dumb kids got what they deserved.

Quick Reply: Fit accident in the news