General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit accident in the news

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by vtecdreamer
indeed they learned there lesson, thats what they get for stealing a car, what ever goes around comes around!
The VBP Fit is a vengeance-filled beast... You shall reap the fury of what you steal!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:27 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I had the imrpession they hijacked it. The fact they ran into a wall, which is dumb, can only happen if you were fleeing

Imobilizers are possible to work around, but it's not easy and I doubt they do it. It requires computer nerdery. Keyless things can be hacked with a laptop (the wifi signal). The fit is a combination of wifi and a physical key. One way to get around the immobilizer is hotwire the car, at the same time have a laptop hack through the immobilizer. As you can see, this requires both dexterity as well as nerdery. I doubt they'd go through so much work to steal a fit. Usually people hack X5s and luxury cars with a laptop

Old 10-19-2007, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Aren't the new honda keys laser cut too? >_< i guess there's never a sure deterence against car theft.

Smatts, as nimble as the fit is, it still has its limits and for a 16 year old who hasn't been driving that long, its very possible that he crossed the line. The Fit with 3 ppl in it with stock tires and suspension could easily lose control at high speeds w/ sudden maneuvers.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
For the burns to the driver and fatal burns/injury to the passenger, the car does not appear to have much, if at all, typical fire damage? Look at the seats, door panels, exterior paint and headliner...anyone there in NY that can shed more light on this.

And yes, for a speeding car to hit a fixed object, the Fit held up well. The forces are much more severe than hitting another car or mobile object.

Many years ago, a customer had a Merc 450SEL in a similar blue color, hyjacked by two teenage boys who wrecked the car during a chace about 5 miles down the road. All ended up at the police station. The two kids were released and sent home before the owner even left the station filling out paperwork on the car....

Old 10-20-2007, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nosewitdot
the owner could of left the car running while running somewhere for a minute

...which would have been totally stupid to begin with.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
considering the high speed and Concrete pillar impact the car doesn't look as bad. I feel a lot better about my car.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by eldaino
...which would have been totally stupid to begin with.
Not only stupid but illegal. If this turns out to be the case the Fit owner will probably end up in more legal trouble then the scumbags who stole the car.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
I dont understand how some people can be so irresponsible with other peoples' lives in their hands (on the road)
Imagine if they had taken out a family in another car or someone walking on the side of the road?
The 2 kids that are left are going to have to deal with this for the rest of their lives, and I think that could be quite hectic.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting, I live in NY and read about this in the local news paper. The very first thing that came to mind was that the doors could not be opened and the Fit caught on fire. I am keeping a small hammer in my Fit now as a result of this accident just in case (God forbid) I find myself in a similar situation and have to break the windows to get out.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
i would imagine they probably stole the keys or the owner left the keys inside while doing a quick errand and they decided just to hop on in and take it for a spin. seriously though, those kids learnt their lesson for being tards, hopefully one they come to they just realized honda saved their lives.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AXEL
Interesting, I live in NY and read about this in the local news paper. The very first thing that came to mind was that the doors could not be opened and the Fit caught on fire. I am keeping a small hammer in my Fit now as a result of this accident just in case (God forbid) I find myself in a similar situation and have to break the windows to get out.
If the car is so wrecked that the doors won't open, the windows will probably be broken anyway, and you certainly won't be able to locate and reach a hammer. Seems a bit overboard... A very small general tool kit on the other hand is always a good idea.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by RichXKU
If the car is so wrecked that the doors won't open, the windows will probably be broken anyway, and you certainly won't be able to locate and reach a hammer. Seems a bit overboard... A very small general tool kit on the other hand is always a good idea.
One of these (or something similar) is a good thing to have...

LifeHammer and ResQMe: LifeHammer and Resqme Auto Emergency Tools

Old 10-23-2007, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by facade
One of these (or something similar) is a good thing to have...

LifeHammer and ResQMe: LifeHammer and Resqme Auto Emergency Tools
Very nice, thanks for the idea. I will be buying one of each for myself and my wife.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Nice find, I think I'm going to order those.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AXEL
Very nice, thanks for the idea. I will be buying one of each for myself and my wife.
Before you rush out and spend money for this, I saw a show on Discovery (Mythbusters, I think) where they tested this "Lifehammer" and found that: 1. assuming you aren't knocked silly/semi-concious by the force of the accident, and 2. that you could even find the tool, that it was not heavy enough to break a window from inside the car. Seems as though a cheap hammer could be just as (potentially) effective, though not as pretty! Just my $0.02 worth.
VBP Sport 5MT

Old 10-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by fittmann
Before you rush out and spend money for this, I saw a show on Discovery (Mythbusters, I think) where they tested this "Lifehammer" and found that: 1. assuming you aren't knocked silly/semi-concious by the force of the accident, and 2. that you could even find the tool, that it was not heavy enough to break a window from inside the car. Seems as though a cheap hammer could be just as (potentially) effective, though not as pretty! Just my $0.02 worth.
VBP Sport 5MT
You can open a window in a submerged car by attempting to break the window using a window-breaking hammer.

confirmed

The device is designed with a pointed tip designed to shatter tempered glass. The hammer breaks the window on the first try.

You can open a window in a submerged car by attempting to break the window using a spring-loaded center punch.

confirmed

The point of the punch can work like the tip of the hammer, and punches are sold for the purpose of breaking window glass. The punch breaks the window on the first try.

MythBusters Episode 71: "Underwater Car"

Last edited by facade; 10-23-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by facade
You can open a window in a submerged car by attempting to break the window using a window-breaking hammer.

confirmed

The device is designed with a pointed tip designed to shatter tempered glass. The hammer breaks the window on the first try.

You can open a window in a submerged car by attempting to break the window using a spring-loaded center punch.

confirmed

The point of the punch can work like the tip of the hammer, and punches are sold for the purpose of breaking window glass. The punch breaks the window on the first try.

MythBusters Episode 71: "Underwater Car"
Thanx for the correction, facade! That's what I get for depending upon the "golden glow" (faded) of memory LOL !! That's also why this forum is such a great resource for information!
VBP Sport 5MT

Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 AM
my son works for a Honda dealership and says that we'd all be surprised just how EASY it is to get a key nowadays. They have safeguards such as proof of ownership in writing; picture ID *the picture ID is not just for voting*;before the owner can get an extra or lost key replaced! But then there are the towing companies; repo etc...

Old 11-09-2007, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
That is on JACKED UP FIt.... too bad too...