General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

is the fit a target for bad drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
is the fit a target for bad drivers?

since i've had my fit, i feel like they absolutely target my car if they are a bad driver. what i've been getting CONSTANTLY since i got my car:

1. tailgated
2. behind people that insist on doing at least 10 under the speed limit
3. semis/dump trucks/other trucks that like to cut me off

here's my story of what happened yesterday:

i was driving to work, making a left turn (i had a green arrow) and a dump truck turns right in front of me, therefore cutting me off. so he continues to go about 30 in a 40 the whole way down the road.

when we get to an open stretch where it's 55, he's going 45, so i try to get in the other lane to pass. he then cuts me off in the OPPOSITE lane so i can't get around, then he goes off to the other side and kicked a massive amount of gravel and dirt onto my hood (thankfully no damage). this kept going for a couple of miles and he had also kept going into the other lane, forcing an oncoming van to swerve into the gravel as well. i pull up next to him, turns out he's on his phone, so i called the company and complained about how dangerous this guy was.

anyone else notice this kind of stuff? or is it just me?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
maybe you just had a bad day?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Retired Moderator
Hmmm, nothing like that has happened to me in the Fit yet...And hopefully never will...Maybe its bad luck?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:13 PM
I've definately noticed this too. My GTI got a lot more respect (or at least got noticed) from other drivers. I get cut off and have people change lanes on top of me pretty often... almost always buy SUV drivers...

Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Smile American Way

Agree totally!!! I get people doing the same stuff as well as wanting to race me! Maybe because I have an exhaust? Dunno but what I can tell you is that is the American way to pick on the smaller things. I think what it comes down to is respect....not many people respect the car...LET FACE IT! People know it's n economy car n a single cam at that! Maybe just a large portion of society is rejecting the "small car craze". It's funny because in every other country smaller cars dominate n in the US not the SAME. These are my thoughts.

GD3blaze07'

Old 10-09-2007, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
I notice the same thing when I got my Fit.
In traffic people cut me off all the time. Especially those big SUV's that bully their way in between me and the car in front with only inches to spare...wtf?

The Fit gets no respect.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 PM
what did the company say?

Old 10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe they can't see such a tiny car...

Old 10-09-2007, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
I have had the same issues in my Fit. Cars cut me off like I am not there. Cars pass me just to tailgate someone in front of me. And the most often thing is just plain being cut off by someone driving slower than I am and who just changes lanes for the fun of it.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Hmmm, nothing like that has happened to me in the Fit yet...And hopefully never will...Maybe its bad luck?
i've had way too many close calls in this car. IL drivers (mostly SUVs) have been awful towards the fit, WI (where i work) is not nearly as bad.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Evotech8

The Fit gets no respect.
totally agree. honda needs to have "respect the hatchback" ads, hah.

Originally Posted by VistaXP
what did the company say?
they said they were going to look into who was driving that day on that route (i couldn't get a license plate number cause the truck was too dirty, didn't know if i mentioned that before). the woman was none too pleased to have an "erratic driver" working for her.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
I can kind of see that. I used to drive a flat black integra before the fit and everyone yielded for me. No one ever cut me off or anything. Now everyone seems to do it.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
same thing happend to me with SUV's and Semis, your one of the few who actually call the company when something like this happens. I always tell myself i'll do it another time yet somehow I always get sidetracked and end up not doing at all either because of A) i might come out as a jackass for calling B) act like those old grannies who bitch about everything they see.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Funny I see this post...I totally agree, small cars are bullied by those trying to compensate for something...

My recent story:

Today, I was driving on the main road through daytona beach, fl (ISB w-bound, for those local) I was closer to the beachside so the road was still only two lanes each way (further inland it becomes 4 each). An older woman who I think barely saw over the steering wheel was slowly driving ahead of me - I properly put my signal on, change lanes and proceeded to pass. There was no one ahead of her or myself in the other lane. Without any signaling or warning, she nearly sideswipes me because she decided to merge without looking (that, or I was in her blindspot, i.e. her entire field of vision apparently!) For those familiar with dane cook (comedian), this was seriously right out of the "harmful if swallowed" cd. except I replaced "Ummmm, hello?" with a long beep of the horn. To my dismay, this did not deter her from her path, and she continued into my lane. With inches to spare and luckily no oncoming traffic, I swerve to the next lane over to avoid impact. After this, the woman proceeds to wave her hand out the window in a gesture of gratitude as though I yielded to allow her into my current lane.

This of course does not say the fit is a target - but it does show that far too many people are legally driving who cannot safely do so. I've been a firm believer in review road exams throughout ones lifetime. Those who argue it may remove an elderly person's freedoms - talk to the families of those injured and killed in accidents caused by the reduced motor reflexes and perceptions caused by aging. All too often we hear in the news of elderly people who do not negotiate or perceive things fast enough and an accident ensues, sometimes resulting in someone's death.
We crack down so hard on DUIs, why not this as well - it can be just as dangerous. I'd personally submit to road tests. I would give up my freedom to drive if I reached an age where my motor skills would possibly endanger myself or the lives of others. (IMHO)

Back to the fit being a magnet - down here in florida drivers' seem to believe that bigger is better even with rising fuel costs - not a day goes by that a large 8mpg pickup on 38" ungodly loud super swamper tires nearly runs me into the curb or at the very least pushes me out of my lane or causes me so unwanted brake pad wear. It gets no respect. Neither does the Yaris, Versa, Scions, and the like.

Well, when gas reaches 5 dollars a gallon, at least we fit owners won't have to take out a second mortgage to pay for a month of fuel!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by deezfit
same thing happend to me with SUV's and Semis, your one of the few who actually call the company when something like this happens. I always tell myself i'll do it another time yet somehow I always get sidetracked and end up not doing at all either because of A) i might come out as a jackass for calling B) act like those old grannies who bitch about everything they see.
i never felt the need to because it was usually a one-time thing where they cut me off, i say whatever, go about my day.

this guy was dangerous and i'm just hopeful they actually do something about it.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sevenaprils
Funny I see this post...I totally agree, small cars are bullied by those trying to compensate for something...

My recent story:

Today, I was driving on the main road through daytona beach, fl (ISB w-bound, for those local) I was closer to the beachside so the road was still only two lanes each way (further inland it becomes 4 each). An older woman who I think barely saw over the steering wheel was slowly driving ahead of me - I properly put my signal on, change lanes and proceeded to pass. There was no one ahead of her or myself in the other lane. Without any signaling or warning, she nearly sideswipes me because she decided to merge without looking (that, or I was in her blindspot, i.e. her entire field of vision apparently!) For those familiar with dane cook (comedian), this was seriously right out of the "harmful if swallowed" cd. except I replaced "Ummmm, hello?" with a long beep of the horn. To my dismay, this did not deter her from her path, and she continued into my lane. With inches to spare and luckily no oncoming traffic, I swerve to the next lane over to avoid impact. After this, the woman proceeds to wave her hand out the window in a gesture of gratitude as though I yielded to allow her into my current lane.

This of course does not say the fit is a target - but it does show that far too many people are legally driving who cannot safely do so. I've been a firm believer in review road exams throughout ones lifetime. Those who argue it may remove an elderly person's freedoms - talk to the families of those injured and killed in accidents caused by the reduced motor reflexes and perceptions caused by aging. All too often we hear in the news of elderly people who do not negotiate or perceive things fast enough and an accident ensues, sometimes resulting in someone's death.
We crack down so hard on DUIs, why not this as well - it can be just as dangerous. I'd personally submit to road tests. I would give up my freedom to drive if I reached an age where my motor skills would possibly endanger myself or the lives of others. (IMHO)

Back to the fit being a magnet - down here in florida drivers' seem to believe that bigger is better even with rising fuel costs - not a day goes by that a large 8mpg pickup on 38" ungodly loud super swamper tires nearly runs me into the curb or at the very least pushes me out of my lane or causes me so unwanted brake pad wear. It gets no respect. Neither does the Yaris, Versa, Scions, and the like.

Well, when gas reaches 5 dollars a gallon, at least we fit owners won't have to take out a second mortgage to pay for a month of fuel!
oh i hate when that happens!! i fully agree with you about the road exams. seriously, if they can't drive properly when their motor skills are fine and dandy what's going to happen 30 years from now??

btw, i totally did the dane cook thing at first but then i just started to get too pissed my favorite was always the car alarm skit.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Since I've gotten the Fit have noticed that less people try to cut me off or pull out in front of me going slow. I was driving a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT and always felt no respect from other drivers. I think with my MR Fit the other drivers see it coming and hesitate to pull out in front of me -it's like they are thinking - what the heck?

But I have noticed the larger SUV's are more agressive towards the car and can't wait to pass you up or jump in front. Today I left work early for a doctor's appointment and stopped to gas up - the gas station sits on a four lane road that is heavily traveled. I was pulling out of the station when a long row of traffic kept me from getting onto the four lane. A large commerical van was pulling out almost directly behind me. He barely could get out and was pushing me forward where there was no place to go except into on coming traffic. I just stopped going forward any more and sit there until the traffic cleared. He was pulled out sideways behind me. What a Jerk!!! When the traffic cleared I pulled out and so did he. He shot around to the fast lane and floored it to the the next stop light that had turned red! HA! I guess it might not just be the Fit but the fact that there are alot of terrible people behind the wheel of a vehicle that can kill. They are bad tempered and don't consider that they are putting someones child, mother, father, sister or brother into harms way by their agressive actions.

Please let all of us Fit Freaks stay safe and out of harms ways!
Cat :x

Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
AHHHH same shit happens to me!!!!!!!! i thought i was alone! why does everyone have to hate on us?

Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
Agree totally!!! I get people doing the same stuff as well as wanting to race me! Maybe because I have an exhaust?
Hey I wouldn't mind racing, just pick on your own size! that means you, yaris, scion xWHATEVER, versa, etc.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
tonight i had an idiot almost hit me in the rear when i was turning left i don't even think he hit his brakes. and he was in a older accord wagon so after i turned left i turned around in a driveway and went to follow him and guess what at the end of this main road is a gym thats where he had pulled in. almost hitting me to go work out i almost pulled in to make his day bad but i didn't

Quick Reply: is the fit a target for bad drivers?