General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Just Picked It Up :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Just Picked It Up :)

Hi all,

I just picked up my Fit over the weekend although it's my first manual transmission car, all I can say is wow what a great little car for it's price and features

Since I'm totally new to driving stick, not sure if this is common to all manual transmission cars but do you guys find the engine overly loud at ~2000rpms as well as when in reverse gear?

Old 10-01-2007, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
It may be that you're just getting used to MT that you think the engine is loud. I usually shift at 3000rpm and the engine noise is not a problem for me. As for reverse, there is a whining that's typical, nothing to worry about.

Enjoy driving stick! The Fit Mt is a blast to drive, but I'm sure you already know that :-P

Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Retired Moderator
Congratz on the Fit!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
congratz on the fit!!!!!!! g/l with it!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the replies,

It's real fun to boot around although I've stalled it many times already, I'm learning MT on this car but whenever I turn around with it in reverse I still can't believe how roomy it is. It's worth every penny

btw - another n00b question, during shifts how long do you take to fully release the clutch?

Last edited by mar1b0r0man; 10-02-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by mar1b0r0man
Thanks for the replies,

It's real fun to boot around although I've stalled it many times already, I'm learning MT on this car but whenever I turn around with it in reverse I still can't believe how roomy it is. It's worth every penny

btw - another n00b question, during shifts how long do you take to fully release the clutch?
good shit bro...congrats btw

Old 10-03-2007, 12:00 AM
as for the reverse gear whine.

Reverse gear is straight cut. When you have a straight cut gear, you have a stronger gear but you have the whine. All other gears are helical cut, they are weaker but they do not make as much noise.

if i'm wrong please correct me...

Old 10-03-2007, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Depends on what you're doing, but if it's just normal shifting like getting going from a stop etc., I dunno -- maybe .5 sec or so? Basically, you want to clutch-in, shift, clutch-out with no hesitation or undue slippage of the clutch. Of course, this changes a bit in certain situations -- stop and go traffic where you're only moving a few yards at a time you might just let it out enough to move you forward a bit w/o even fully releasing the clutch, parking can be the same thing, getting into the garage, etc. etc. Also, clutch out from a complete stop tends to be a bit longer than a 1-2, 2-3, etc. shift due to having to modulate the clutch somewhat while giving gas to make your start smooth. Even then, 'longer' is maybe only a second at most, and probably not even that. Main thing is don't just slowly let out the clutch and slip it for God knows how long before you release it fully; be definitve -- get in there, do what you have to, and get out as quickly as possible.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks again,

I was just curious about letting the clutch out from a complete stop, it currently takes me around 2 seconds I just though it may be a little slow for drivers behind me

Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
Depends on what you're doing, but if it's just normal shifting like getting going from a stop etc., I dunno -- maybe .5 sec or so? Basically, you want to clutch-in, shift, clutch-out with no hesitation or undue slippage of the clutch. Of course, this changes a bit in certain situations -- stop and go traffic where you're only moving a few yards at a time you might just let it out enough to move you forward a bit w/o even fully releasing the clutch, parking can be the same thing, getting into the garage, etc. etc. Also, clutch out from a complete stop tends to be a bit longer than a 1-2, 2-3, etc. shift due to having to modulate the clutch somewhat while giving gas to make your start smooth. Even then, 'longer' is maybe only a second at most, and probably not even that. Main thing is don't just slowly let out the clutch and slip it for God knows how long before you release it fully; be definitve -- get in there, do what you have to, and get out as quickly as possible.
That can apply to something else, if you guys catch my drift.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 AM
i usually have music playing so no. :P

Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Hey my Fit was my first MT car too, and i am a tiny bit slower off starts (unless I burn son rubber lol) than the AT cars.. but who the **** cares... im not in a rush and i dont feel like reving my motor way up just to accel. half a secont faster... any one who really knows how to drive (other MT drivers) know this and dont mind me being half a sec. slower.... its just the asshole socccer moms in tank sized SUV's that are talking on their cell phones that get pissed.... i think the only reason they see my car and don't simply plow into me are that fact that it is bright red!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cojaro
That can apply to something else, if you guys catch my drift.
Sex with ugly girls?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Congrats! Yea probly not use to revving that high

Old 10-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Congratz

Congratulations on your new FIT! If you see me on the highways, give me a thumbs up!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Hey thanks again for all replies

Been practicing driving MT for a few days now, the fun part hasn't really kicked in for me yet but boy do you have a lot of control over the car

I'm not stalling as much anymore the problem was I've been reading too many contradicting articles on driving MT and my buddies kept telling me to start (from a complete stop) in second gear. Starting from first keeps me from stalling for sure but it revs high

Maybe someone can help? if I was at a complete stop waiting to make a left, do you make the whole turn in first gear or do you shift first to second then make the turn? remember I'n still a n00b any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Old 10-04-2007, 03:31 PM
From a complete stop I always take off from 1st, if its a roll I normally drop to 2nd.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
i usually just go slow and keep it in first and keep the revs low, but if im in a line of cars and have a bit a a strait away i usually go to 2nd... hope this helps... the best way to learn is just keep driving it thas how i learned

Old 10-04-2007, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hocker
From a complete stop I always take off from 1st, if its a roll I normally drop to 2nd.
^^
I do the same... but i thought that starting in 2nd was for a diesel the only reason you would take off in 1st was if you were towing cause the gear is so short

Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I'm not stalling as much anymore the problem was I've been reading too many contradicting articles on driving MT and my buddies kept telling me to start (from a complete stop) in second gear. Starting from first keeps me from stalling for sure but it revs high

Maybe someone can help? if I was at a complete stop waiting to make a left, do you make the whole turn in first gear or do you shift first to second then make the turn? remember I'n still a n00b any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
it depends a lot on your driving style. people drive manual with their own characteristics. I, for example, will shift into second gear before completing that left turn, usually right in the middle of the turn. If you're a slow shifter, you might want to shift into second after your turn, so that your car doesn't pause so soon after start that someone behind might rear-end you (if they're not attentive drivers). Also, it depends on how much you want to accelerate. If you're gonna haul butt, then you should shift a lot later. but if you're just gonna creep up to 25 mph, then you can shift into 2nd after moving like 20 feet.

As for starting the car in second, it requires more revving and more riding of the clutch, which isn't good for the longevity of your car parts. also, you have to rev a lot higher to get it moving. I would never do that, but if my car is already in any motion, i will almost always use 2nd, and not drop down to 1st. that is unless i'm in motion at like 2mph.

congrats with your fit! and don't worry you will get the hang of driving manual with some practice. you can try different things and figure out what works best for you!

Last edited by doctordoom; 10-04-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Just Picked It Up :)