General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Odd surge shifting new '08 MT??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Cool Odd surge shifting new '08 MT??

All, just bought a silver '08 base MT, awesome car!! However, when I shift while accelerating (usually over 3k), the engine surges a few hundred RPM when I depress the clutch. I'm guessing the fuel management is still "learning" how I drive, or is it because the engine management is programed like the automatic paddles to "match revs" or something like that? Feels odd, makes me look like I don't know how to pull my foot off the gas when shifting, etc. . .

Any ideas?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
its the drive by wire system.it hold the gas for a second after you take you foot off the gas.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member
I found that odd also at first. It is fine once you get use to it. Just pull your foot off of the throttle a little sooner before pressing the clutch in.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks gentlemen, i thought it was designed into the car for whatever reason, but what would that reason be. . .? I've started to do the gas pedal thing too

Old 09-22-2007, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, that happened to me in the first month or so as well, it'll go away soon enough once you get used to the timing of the shifts, gas, etc. It never happens to me now.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
the DBW (drive by wire) will make your upshifts slower. Get used to it. I like it this way, because it makes you more a relaxed driver.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio
the DBW (drive by wire) will make your upshifts slower. Get used to it. I like it this way, because it makes you more a relaxed driver.
I see it more as a design-flaw than some secret honda desire to make us more relaxed drivers. I mean, how many other cars out there do this? While accelerating, I pull off the gas, depress the clutch, and the engine surges 2-300 RPMs. I can't think of any reason to design this into a fuel map. I'm hoping it's just the fuel map getting used to my driving style (and hopefully it will just disappear. . .), but if it stays this pronounced, I'll have to take it back to the dealership to get it "fixed"

Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by teterman2000
I see it more as a design-flaw than some secret honda desire to make us more relaxed drivers. I mean, how many other cars out there do this? While accelerating, I pull off the gas, depress the clutch, and the engine surges 2-300 RPMs. I can't think of any reason to design this into a fuel map. I'm hoping it's just the fuel map getting used to my driving style (and hopefully it will just disappear. . .), but if it stays this pronounced, I'll have to take it back to the dealership to get it "fixed"
Unfortunately, there is no "fix". Your dealer won't be able to do anything about it.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SciroccoTDI
Unfortunately, there is no "fix". Your dealer won't be able to do anything about it.
Think a chip would fix it? I don't want to void my warranty until the car's paid for, but it is pretty irritating

Old 09-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Think a chip would fix it? I don't want to void my warranty until the car's paid for, but it is pretty irritating
No, and to my knowledge there is no "chip" for the Fit, only those silly sensor fooling devices.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I see it more as a design-flaw than some secret honda desire to make us more relaxed drivers.
i think drive-by-wire is in theory supposed to make a vehicle more flexible since it takes out certain mechanical limitations in a vehicle, regarding the spatial organization of things (also good for safety). also, it's supposed to help in fuel consumption. i'm sure it does some good things for us, or else they wouldn't have incorporated into our cars, since it's more expensive than traditional systems right? but i agree with everyone that the slow response is thumbs down!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SciroccoTDI
No, and to my knowledge there is no "chip" for the Fit, only those silly sensor fooling devices.
I was afraid this was the case. I don't know much about the DBW system but in theory it seems like it should be easily tuned, but it's probably the opposite, oh well. . .

I wonder if the Jackson supercharger system changes any of the DBW programming, or does it only adjust the fuel map? Looks like I've got some research ahead of me

Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 AM
I was afraid this was the case. I don't know much about the DBW system but in theory it seems like it should be easily tuned, but it's probably the opposite, oh well. . .

I wonder if the Jackson supercharger system changes any of the DBW programming, or does it only adjust the fuel map? Looks like I've got some research ahead of me
The Jackson (now KraftWerks) supercharger system uses a simple piggy back on the injector circuit to keep the injectors open longer (basically increases duty cycle). It has no effect to my knowledge on the DBW "lag" as I call it (to me, it just seems like the system is slow to react to removal of throttle).

I know its kinda annoying, but you will get used to it.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I'm already getting used to it. Now I'm just curious how the DBW system is going to affect standard VTEC tuning mods for these cars, etc.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Alll this time I thought it was me letting my foot off the gas too slow when I press the clutch down. My 2002 MT Jetta 1.8T is also DBW and it reacts like a traditional non-DBW system. Does anyone know if all MT Honda's are the same?

Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gummyrabbit
Alll this time I thought it was me letting my foot off the gas too slow when I press the clutch down.
Actually I think you guys are letting off the gas too slowly for this car. With DBW 5% gas pedal application could really mean 15% at the throttle body, so your foot needs to be 100% off the pedal much quicker than other cars. I got used to it and can shift just as fast as any other car.

Another quirk happens when you're accelerating hard: You have it floored for a while and want to slow down, but as you let off the gas it stays floored and you keep letting off about half way and then it starts to close the throttle. This scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. Now it just floor it and then let off enough to have throttle control.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BoostLE
Actually I think you guys are letting off the gas too slowly for this car. . .
I don't think so, I did some experimenting when I first noticed it. While accelerating, I would pull my foot completely off the gas, wait a split second and depress the clutch, the engine revs 2-300 RPM. It's funny, I think I'm shifting even faster now to avoid hearing the surge, but I'm still hoping that it will calm down after the engine breaks in (1k miles?). Not as annoying when you shift fast, though

Old 10-01-2007, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
i noticed the same thing but untill reading this topic I thought it was my inexperience driving a MT car. but when i read this i realise it is not me. i think it is the drive by wire.. as my family also has a hybrid civic that revs slightly if you pop off the gas quickly... also a drive by wire

Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
All, just bought a silver '08 base MT, awesome car!! However, when I shift while accelerating (usually over 3k), the engine surges a few hundred RPM when I depress the clutch. I'm guessing the fuel management is still "learning" how I drive, or is it because the engine management is programed like the automatic paddles to "match revs" or something like that? Feels odd, makes me look like I don't know how to pull my foot off the gas when shifting, etc. . .

Any ideas?
Supposedly, this is an emissions control issue; there is no reprogramming for it.
'07 VBP Sport 5MT

Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
about the dbw system i'm 40 years old and i like it i guess cause i can remember driving old cars with carburetors and mechanical linkages

Quick Reply: Odd surge shifting new '08 MT??