General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Pain in leg/foot/knee while driving Fit...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 PM
Tall/Big People! Help! Pain in leg/foot/knee while driving Fit...

So I've been lusting for the vivid blue Honda Fit Sport for some time and today I finally got mine in. I've been driving a 99 Chevy Camaro since 2001 so this was quite a leap in terms of driving styles and how the car's interior feels. I really fell in love with my Fit as soon as I saw it but after doing some steady driving all over town today I'm starting to really find some problems with it for me.

I'm a big dude. About 6 foot and lets just say I've had my fair share of cheeseburgers. lol I always found my friend's Fit to be more then accomodating. My mom who has a two year old Accord I found to be not so much. My head always touched the roof when I drove the thing. Well, I noticed today that my legs definately have some sort of strange strain while driving. Generally it's most awkward when reaching for the break. I sat in stop in go traffic for 20 minutes today and it was murder on my leg. I ended up trying to use my left foot while breaking instead which had mixed results. Heh. So now I'm home after a day of driving (put almost 94 miles on it in one day but I do live an hour from home) and my right leg (knee, ankle, etc.) Is sore. I don't think it has to do with the weight nearly as much as my long legs. Did any other large peeps out there run into these problems? I love my Fit and I hope my leg falls in line and figures it out. Heh. Just curious what you guys thought and if you had any ideas for how to help. Maybe I just bought a car that I'm too damn big for. Heh. But I freakin' love it!

Last edited by RynoZebz; 09-20-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 AM
move the seat back a little bit and adjust the back so that you feel more comfortable.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:42 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
maybe it'll just take some getting used to, hopefully. if not then maybe you need a new seat? or you can go to the gym and work out those muscles that are strained until they're so powerful that they never get sore again haha.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Retired Moderator
Probaly going to take some getting used to..If not check out some new seats i heard the Civic Si sieats work for the Fit and they are real nice! Hope you resolve the problem!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
Not sure what it does, but there is some sort of dead pedal you can buy. Supposed to relieve the muscle stress caused by the stock pedal.

Perhaps your new pain can be a good excuse to receive medical marijuana. Worth a try.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all of the helps guys. I'm not sure that it's the seat. I just feel like if I could only move the seat back a bit further that might help. At the full position my knees actually touch the steering wheel. I just move them each to the side. I think this is part of the reason why braking is difficult. I drove it 45 minutes into work and my knee is cramping a bit. It's starting to make me sad because I do love the Fit. But is it worth it to pay a car payment every month if I'm uncomfortable?

So to all you tall/bigger drivers please shoot me your impressions. I'm going to change the thread title to lure them in. Heh.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Exclamation

Try positioning a small pillow or chunk of foam under the offending leg's thigh as close out to the knee that the seat will support. Big guys often have a lack of under leg support in sub compact cars - a Physical therapist suggested this fix it to me and it works.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks, Jonnie. I'll give it a shot. I've read on other forums about people having body shops move the seat back for them but it seems a bit excessive.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:14 PM
[quote=RynoZebz;176192]

Well, I noticed today that my legs definately have some sort of strange strain while driving. Generally it's most awkward when reaching for the break. I sat in stop in go traffic for 20 minutes today and it was murder on my leg. I ended up trying to use my left foot while breaking instead which had mixed results. Heh. So now I'm home after a day of driving (put almost 94 miles on it in one day but I do live an hour from home) and my right leg (knee, ankle, etc.) Is sore. I don't think it has to do with the weight nearly as much as my long legs. Did any other large peeps out there run into these problems?

I have the same problem, I find that the problem is that the foot pedals are tall or too far from the floor and the seat does not go back far enough. I've read the HONDA CRV forums where owners have experienced similar problems and their solution has been simple: drill new holes in the floor about 3" back and re-install the bucket seats. Unfortunately, the fit has the Gas tank located under the seat . I posted a new thread requesting info on after market rails that can go into the current locations but extend the seat about 3" further back.

Also the current FIT is a european/asian design which caters to smaller drivers or drivers that are used to compact or subcompact cars. Since you are coming out of a camaro and I am coming out of an impala, we noticed it right away. In my impala you could push the seat all the way back where only the tip of your toes could touch the pedals, it gave you lots of room to stretch your legs.

I think the solution should be fairly simple to fic with some after-market rails, and hopefully HONDA will make a design cange when they introduced the fit in '09 targeted to the american market.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, glad to hear I'm not the only one in this boat. Do you have any info on those rails? If you do get some could you let me kno. I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd love to get some extra space up in there. I feel like I'm up in the Fit's grill. Heh.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by RynoZebz
Yes, glad to hear I'm not the only one in this boat. Do you have any info on those rails? If you do get some could you let me kno. I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd love to get some extra space up in there. I feel like I'm up in the Fit's grill. Heh.

I have not found any info on the web, so tomorrow I will take it to a bodyshop see what they suggest.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Awesome... please let me know how that goes.