General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

funny- strained muscle in foot? driving the fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:56 AM
funny- strained muscle in foot? driving the fit

found this on another forum, i felt this pain the 1st time i drove my car, cause i got in it and drove from Ga to NC. It is a strange angle cause the seat sits high, and its like driving sitting in a upright chair.
anyone else a wussie like me and these guys?

Strained muscle in right foot - Ozhonda Forums

Old 09-14-2007, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
This is something I had when I first bought the car, but got used to it in about a month or two. Generally, you need to find a seat position that doesn't put so much of an angle on your foot when driving, and also isn't so far from the wheel to be uncomfortable. Most people want to snug up to the wheel in this car and you can't do it; you need to back off a bit and get used to the wheel being maybe a bit further than you might usually like.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:08 PM
I've not experienced the foot strain. Not sure how it all started, maybe driving trucks but I don't keep my foot straight up/down when I drive. I have it laying sideways with the top sort of wedged in by the console. Kinda kinky hey but it works for me .

Old 09-14-2007, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
There have been other threads on this general topic, with people trying raising the front of the seat to get support under the thigh (seemed to work for some, but not for me). I think it's a combination of gas pedal too far back (it's almost in the same plane as the brake and clutch, which is further back than it is in most cars), seat too low to support the thigh, a very light return spring on the gas pedal (and no slack, unlike most cable-operated throttles). For me the result feels like I have to hold my toe up much of the time to keep from giving it too much gas. I've hung a couple of elastic bands on the gas pedal to let me rest a little more pressure on the pedal, and I've cut a foam pad to support my right thigh, and I've experimented with my foot position (maybe like bobbied describes) and these things seem to have helped some, but I can't say it's really comfortable yet on drives of more than an hour or so. I'm thinking of cutting the steel arm to the gas pedal, which would move the pedal up and ahead, but I'm waiting until I've figured out a handy way to put it back like original. It is irritating in a car that's so nice in almost every way.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Took me about a week to get the right seating position, but car is all good now. Even took a trip from California to Colorado. 15 hour drive pretty much non stop one way, then back a week later. No problems.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
The seats didn't really bother me, but when my brother drove it, he complained about the seating. He's used to the seats being really low (like you're sitting on the ground low), like in his Prelude, so he said the angle made his leg stiff and uncomfortable. x]

Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
if you drive for long trips you could make a couple stops just to get out and walk around or stretch a little so you don't strain a certain area of your body for too long a time. that's what i try to do because sometimes my lower back hurts after long drives and i think it helps.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Ritzbury
i get the strain bad. i am average size, but my legs are LONG! and the seats don't adjust up so i can see more above the wheel! so my foot gets way sore! sometimes i switch it up and drive left footed.

anyone know how i could make the seats higher at all?

Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 AM
What about getting some sort of pad for the front of the seat to raise your leg up a bit?

I'll be building a custom bracket for the front of my seat...i've tested the theory by stuffing a towel under my leg towards my knee, and my foot seems just fine with it elevated a bit more, so thats my next step.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
When I drove my Fit home from the dealer in April 2006 I almost had to stop because of the pain. I'm 6'2" and I solved it by jamming a folded over piece of carpet foam underlay under the gas pedal arm. No problems since.
(My other cars had 2 return springs to support my heavy foot.)

Old 10-04-2007, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
hmmm so far so goo I have yet to experince this and dont feel like going through it!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Wow I thought it was just me 'til I stumbled across this thread. The gas pedal is so light that at cruising speed the "lift your foot" muscle must constantly be tense. If I relax my leg the car would be at WOT without even pressing the gas intentionally.
It does seem like jamming something springy under the pedal would be a relief but I'm wary of doing that.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by louie3252
found this on another forum, i felt this pain the 1st time i drove my car, cause i got in it and drove from Ga to NC. It is a strange angle cause the seat sits high, and its like driving sitting in a upright chair.
anyone else a wussie like me and these guys?

Strained muscle in right foot - Ozhonda Forums
Wow, people on other forums are jerks. I love Fitfreak.net!

I have a feeling that some people might have problems with the Fit because there is no seat height adjustment. I have no problems with the Fit, although it would be nice if it had an telescopic steering wheel.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 10-05-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:02 PM
yah, i get it on the lower part of my knee and sometimes my ankle if i drive a lot.

i got used to it though. and you have to sit far back and stretch your leg out. if you cant do that, just push your seat back every once in a while at a light and stretch your leg and foot out.