General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Help!! Need advice on HID and sound upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
Help!! Need advice on HID and sound upgrades!

What a dilemma!!!
I have phoned 3 separate Honda dealers to find out if I void my warranty by installing an HID kit. 2 out of 3 said yes so I guess thats a majority vote against it. But now I'm thinking, whats the worst that can happen?? Im seriously considering just going for it cos I really want to upgrade my sound and put an HID kit in. If I buy the proper kit, and have it installed by an auto electrician, whats the worst that can happen that can possibly endanger my warranty? Has anyone had/or heard of any troubles with installing and running an HID kit. Im assuming the same goes for sound, by installing extra mods they would have to go into the car's electrical system and if anything goes wrong, also void the warranty. Has anyone had any trouble with HID or amps or subs?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Your not messing with the wirring system with the HIDs your really just plugging them into the same sockets as before and now just with a little extra boost from the ballasts. if something were to happen due to im proper instalation or use of your aftermarket products, then that will not be covered under warranty, but otherwise you should be fine.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
The worst that can happen is that it shorts your electrical system and/or other electrical components, you pop a fuse, or you melt your wires.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by abcsr2ez4me
The worst that can happen is that it shorts your electrical system and/or other electrical components, you pop a fuse, or you melt your wires.
....seriously man? unless you are putting a todler in there to do your work it isnt that hard and there is no need to freak someone out and intimidate them into not improving their car in a way theyd like to. people on this forum are more then happy to help anyone with questions and even provide step by step picture guides for most of these projects.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to freak him out. I believe the most common improper installation of a HID kit is popping fuses. It has been reported in other forums of melting wires if you look through HIDplanet when I was doing the same research. Theres not a whole lot of info on Fit's and HID's so I'm not really gonna sugar coat it. Do you research instead of coming into a forum to hope someone on other side of the world is gonna give you the okay.

I eventually installed a kit into my EP hatch. But if you do it wrong, you do it wrong.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to freak him out. I believe the most common improper installation of a HID kit is popping fuses. It has been reported in other forums of melting wires if you look through HIDplanet when I was doing the same research. Theres not a whole lot of info on Fit's and HID's so I'm not really gonna sugar coat it. Do you research instead of coming into a forum to hope someone on other side of the world is gonna give you the okay.

I eventually installed a kit into my EP hatch. But if you do it wrong, you do it wrong.
no worries! but yeah your write about the amount of info out there for FITs. glad there are at least a few guides out there, and most HIDs are plug and play pretty much, unless your talking retro fitting then i dont even know where to begin there.

anyways. good luck and try not to blow up :-p

Old 09-05-2007, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it. Hopefully I wont blow up.
I dont know much about this stuff, (being a chick by the way ), but it seems simple enough to me to buy the full kit, and have it installed by a professional. Ill phone the dealer who sells the kits and ask them what they think.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
if its done right theres nothing to worry about

Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SPON FIT
if its done right theres nothing to worry about
Well the main components are:
1 absolutely do not touch the bulb. The oils from your fingers will heat up later and blow up the bulb.
2 the headlamp fuse must be upgraded to a 20 amp fuse otherwise you'll overload ... something, I never understood it but without it the 20,000 volt initial charge up of a HID system can seriously do damage to our electrical system

I think those are the most critical parts. I personally don't like the idea of kits in halogen headlamps. Theres no cut off for HID and you end up blinding everyone coming the other direction. For our H4 bulbs you also lose the ability to use your high beams, but then again, your high beams are always on...

Old 09-06-2007, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
Well the main components are:
1 absolutely do not touch the bulb. The oils from your fingers will heat up later and blow up the bulb.
2 the headlamp fuse must be upgraded to a 20 amp fuse otherwise you'll overload ... something, I never understood it but without it the 20,000 volt initial charge up of a HID system can seriously do damage to our electrical system

I think those are the most critical parts. I personally don't like the idea of kits in halogen headlamps. Theres no cut off for HID and you end up blinding everyone coming the other direction. For our H4 bulbs you also lose the ability to use your high beams, but then again, your high beams are always on...
Thanks for the tips, will keep those in mind.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member
I think if you go with a Bi-Xenon H.I.D. Kit you will be able to keep both you low and high beems.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 AM
one word, retrofit

Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
The point i'm trying to make is that halogen headlamps are designed for halogen bulbs where its light output is so low in comparison to HID that at its extremes light falls off and doesn't become a hazard to other drivers. Sure a H4 HI-Low kit will give you the ability to switch between "high and low" but when you drive up to your garage you'll already notice that even in low, your hid is all over the place.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I've ordered myself a kit, so lets see what happens next. I can't wait to have it installed actually.
Thanks again for all the tips guys.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Remember to post pics when you get it in. What temp did you get it at? 6500k? Also dont take a picture of the front of your car, but 1 of your car up against your garage door so we can see the output of your new kit.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
Remember to post pics when you get it in. What temp did you get it at? 6500k? Also dont take a picture of the front of your car, but 1 of your car up against your garage door so we can see the output of your new kit.
Okie dokie!! Will definitely post pics when I get it in. It should be sometime this week.
Yip, I got 6500k, thats what most people recommended.