General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit - Is the Sport worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:14 AM
Fit - Is the Sport worth it?

Hi all,

How's it going? I'm looking to pick up a Honda Fit (manual) within the next few weeks but still can't decide between the LX or Sport. Is the Sport really worth the extra $2000+?

Old 09-03-2007, 06:54 AM
yes. The extra hp is a big plus

Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
Not to mention the higher wattage radio and the bigger alloy wheels. Well worth it. The extra HP makes it quite zippy.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
What are you guys talking about? More HP from the Sport model? Everything I've seen lists them equally at 109hp, including honda.ca.

The Sport looks nicer with the body "kit" and the larger stock wheels, has a better stereo with the auxiliary jack and the component tweeters, included security system, fog lights, and a few other amenities that you'll be sorry you don't have with the LX model. To me, it's worth every penny.

Last edited by DagerOne; 09-03-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Talking

Dager is right. It seems I'm a liar. The HP is the same.

But the Sport is a lot spiffier then the base model. In the long run, I think you'll be happier with it.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
15 inch alloy wheels, fog lights, full body kit with spoiler, better stock stereo.

Those are the things that really stood out to me, so I got a sport. Just make sure you relaly want the base before getting it, you might kick yourself later for not just spending the extra $$ now.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:48 AM
While Honda rates both at 109hp, everyone knows that each piece of tacked-on plastic bodywork adds 5hp... except the rear wing/spoiler which adds 10hp. Get a bigger aftermarket wing and it adds 15hp.

Seriously, I'd get the sport because of the additional options. The base MSRP for '08 is $13,950 and the Sport is $15,270. which is only a $1320 difference. You could easily spend that to upgrade the stereo and/or wheel/tire combination (albeit with much better stuff) but still wouldn't have the cruise control. And aftermarket cruise control usually isn't pretty (not nearly as neatly integrated as OEM) if you ever decided you wanted it.

The underbody kit and spoiler are personal taste items. To me, they take away value from the Sport because I prefer the cleaner lines of the base model. I may end up spending my valuable time removing those items and plugging the holes. Even so, the extras on the sport are worth the extra $.

The last thing to consider is resael value and I think the options on the Sport will partially pay for themselves when you sell the car.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Retired Moderator
The Sport is worth every penny more then the base, its a totally diffrent car IMO.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:28 PM
NMG
I thought the upgrade was well worth it. Just the cruise control and better stereo (including aux input) were things that I wanted for sure. When you add in the alloy wheels and body kit, I also think the looks were allot sharper.

If these things don't matter to you, perhaps the upgrade isn't worth it. I thought they made the Sport into a nicer overall package for not much more money, hence the reason I went with the Sport.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:31 PM
You need to go into further detail than saying "its a totally different car" because mechanically it drives the same. Unless you think the body kit actually makes the 109HP car faster. =)

Old 09-03-2007, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt

Seriously, I'd get the sport because of the additional options. The base MSRP for '08 is $13,950 and the Sport is $15,270. which is only a $1320 difference. You could easily spend that to upgrade the stereo and/or wheel/tire combination (albeit with much better stuff) but still wouldn't have the cruise control. And aftermarket cruise control usually isn't pretty (not nearly as neatly integrated as OEM) if you ever decided you wanted it.

The underbody kit and spoiler are personal taste items. To me, they take away value from the Sport because I prefer the cleaner lines of the base model. I may end up spending my valuable time removing those items and plugging the holes. Even so, the extras on the sport are worth the extra $.

The last thing to consider is resael value and I think the options on the Sport will partially pay for themselves when you sell the car.
The Fit in Canada comes in 3 diff. models. My LX did not come with Cruise but they added it to this years LX.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
The Sport Fit is well worth the extras that you get - if you had to pay to put them on individually it would amount to alot more. I was looking at a base initially and then my cousin who is a big car guy (currently owns both a Civic with over 200,000 miles on it and just purchased a 2007 S2000), told me to go with the Sport just because of the cruise, keyless entry, security system, better radio, larger wheels, body kit, nicer steering wheel, fog light and I am really happy that he talked me into it. It is so much nicer and just a better looking car - I love the body kit and bigger wheels. For the slightly higher price you get a lot more car.

Cat :X

Old 09-03-2007, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
The base MSRP for '08 is $13,950 and the Sport is $15,270. which is only a $1320 difference. You could easily spend that to upgrade the stereo and/or wheel/tire combination (albeit with much better stuff) but still wouldn't have the cruise control. And aftermarket cruise control usually isn't pretty (not nearly as neatly integrated as OEM) if you ever decided you wanted it.
car.
Ahh, but the difference for Canucks between the LX and Sport models is $2200 CAD, and the LX does have cruise control in the '08, so in the end, the difference is the body kit, the stereo, 15" vs 14" wheels, the steering wheel, and...well...not much else. Looking at that again, I'd still go for the sport because those things I listed matter to me, but the $2200 CAD difference merits consideration just the same.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Two Words mate; Cruise Control

plus one more.... Stock MP3

Oh and three "S" words... Side Skirts, Spoiler er... ect

Old 09-03-2007, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
When choosing my options, I asked myself a set of questions:
1. Do I really want/need it?
2. Can I find something cheaper aftermarket?
3. Do I want something better aftermarket?
4. Can I afford it now?

I liked the Sport look and needed the alarm with keyless entry. The base stereo and hubcap/wheels would have quickly needed upgrading, can't stand plastic wheels and I need aux/mp3 input. The Sport offerings were good enough, but I probably could have gotten similar quality for less. I didn't care about the fog lights, cruise control, muffler tip, leather steering wheel. Nor did I want the dealer's overpriced security system addon. What made the decision real easy were the paddle shifters (auto tx), which aren't available aftermarket. Never having owned a car with them, I thought they were really cool, and I could use them to help with manual-tx withdrawal. Turns out I hardly use the paddles in my L.A. commute.

If I could have broken up the package, I would have, but I don't regret spending for the Sport. I plan on having this car for a lot longer than I'm in L.A. I may make use of the paddles and cruise control, yet. For the extra cost, you get a lot, but of course they have to be things you (eventually) want. So unless you're going to make radical mod's to your Fit, or plan on owning it only for a short period, I would say the Sport extras are a good investment.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:42 PM
I bought the LX version.. at first I went with what the honda site said about each model and was leaning towards the sport because of cruise and auxiliary jack mainly. Turns out the LX (at the dealerships here anyway) have cruise control and auxiliary jack already included.

I didn't really care for body kits or bigger wheels at the time, I live in Winnipeg and I'd probably just break off the body kit bits in the snow or the atrocious roads(or combination of both). It is a daily driver afterall.

The better stereo would've been nice for the mp3 capability but with the auxiliary jack I thought it was sort of redundant since I had an mp3 player already.

I did pay extra for the keyless entry though not the security honking thing since that doesn't really deter anyone or get any attention. Ever notice in a parking lot with people shopping they just all ignore it thinking the owner set it off accidently or someone bumped the car getting into another car.

I do plan on getting better wheels and tires eventually, and I have the 14 inch steel wheels for snow tires.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:27 PM
sport model is worth every penny. all the reasons I could list have already been listed but i truly think it was worth the extra cash. cruise control and the stereo especially.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mar1b0r0man
Hi all,

How's it going? I'm looking to pick up a Honda Fit (manual) within the next few weeks but still can't decide between the LX or Sport. Is the Sport really worth the extra $2000+?
So you can see there are lots of opinions and as much wrong info about the Canadian Fits. Many don't have our winter driving conditions; will you have to take off all 4 rims to keep the Toronto salt off them?

Decide for yourself what things you want or need and can afford. Also check the insurance rates for the two models.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Two Words mate; Cruise Control

plus one more.... Stock MP3

Oh and three "S" words... Side Skirts, Spoiler er... ect
I can think of some more "S" words that come with sport!
Steering wheel, Sport mode.....uhhh....i think thats it

Old 09-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Mea culpa... didn't even notice the OP was in Canada. That price differential is significant, especially factoring in our exchange rate, too. I also find it interesting that Honda offers DX, LX, and Sport trim levels models in Canada but not in US.

Quick Reply: Fit - Is the Sport worth it?