General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit - Is the Sport worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:07 AM
The Mrs. and I saw a non-Sport last night and well... We nearly mistook it for an Aveo! Cheap hubcaps, no spoiler... It just didn't scream out and say "hey I'm drivin' a Honda over here!" My wife is glad we spent the extra money for the extras that come on the Sport. Even put the flappy paddles to work a few weeks ago in San Diego on some twisty roads (live in Phoenix, the world of grids)! You'll be happier, maybe slightly poorer in wallet, but happier in spirit and experience with the Sport!

-Jeff

Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey I hear ya,

Yeah, the Sport cost more but since I'm screwed by insurance regardless of the model, I might as well go with all the bells and whistles Unfortunately, I've mistaken the Aveo for the Fit several times myself.

As for the comment on tricking out economy cars, I believe most cars have potential to be fun project cars. It makes sense to me that people tend to choose economy cars, they're affordable, somewhat good on gas and there's usually tons of after market parts. The Fit's a great candidate for good reason. What wouldn't make sense to me is if someone tricks out their Ferrari Enzo

Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by mar1b0r0man
Hey I hear ya,

Yeah, the Sport cost more but since I'm screwed by insurance regardless of the model, I might as well go with all the bells and whistles Unfortunately, I've mistaken the Aveo for the Fit several times myself.

As for the comment on tricking out economy cars, I believe most cars have potential to be fun project cars. It makes sense to me that people tend to choose economy cars, they're affordable, somewhat good on gas and there's usually tons of after market parts. The Fit's a great candidate for good reason. What wouldn't make sense to me is if someone tricks out their Ferrari Enzo
Insurance is screwing you? Why? I used to drive a 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 and the 2007 Fit Sport was CHEAPER to insure than that! Check around would be my advice as your insurance co. is likely wrong (unless you FUBAR'd your credit or had too many accidents I could understand this).

Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Does the word 'Sport' have anything to do with insurance the pricing policy? Ive heard that some insurance companies see the word 'sport' and get all excited because they think 'sports car'....ahhhhh, more money for us. I really think that if you have 0 claims over a certain amount of time...that they should either give you a rebate or a small % of the annual premium. You wonder why over the last few years you've been hearing about record profits for this crooked companies. Sorry, just had to rant....I hate insurance companies.

But, congrats on your new purchase. Look forward to my sport model too in the spring.

Last edited by prelude_guy97; 09-13-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Even with the Sport title they still classified it as a sub-compact/wagon. Which is ok because the rate is low. I pay less than $1,000 a year to insure the car.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Nice! I shopped around for my insurance and for a 1999 Civic hatchback and a 1997 Prelude, I pay around 1800/yr (full coverage). I just hope it doesnt go up too much when I replace the civic for the fit sport.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:00 AM
It really is all a matter of taste and I really do sincerely appologize for offending even just a little, but here's some more anyways because I am a bad person.

The fog lights. Nobody will ever use those things unless they live on the coast or in the mountains where there is actual fog. Everybody I have ever known with fog lights has never used them. If they do encounter fog they forget they even have them. That's why I don't even know what they do. I have never seen them in action.

"Doesn't matter how little power you have - if you can hold the shifts longer, you get better acceleration, which really helps on highway onramps where the AT normally wants to shift too soon."

Point taken, but a MT makes it mute.

Tires
More surface area = better traction. Which is handy when road conditions are not the best.

Damn good point. I don't think that is what most people are thinking when they desire wider tires though and that's sure as hell not how Honda is trying to sell it. SPORT!!!!!

"Sounding like a Harley makes you...look better? I don't get it. The body kit makes you look better. The coffee-can just makes you sound stupid."

Horrible choice of words by me. What I should have said is - If you really want to make your car seem cooler than it actually is just throw on one of those dope ass mufflers that make your 109hp ride sound like a lawnmower and they ladies will surely swoon. But I like "The coffee-can just makes you sound stupid" way better.

Whatever though. All of our FIT's are freiking awesome. Base, sport, super dope coffee can tricked out sport. I think the car is just perfect and could not be happier. I guess since mine is a base MT with nothing done to it, and I think it's perfect, is why I am not into any sporty stuff.

Cangrats to dude who just bought the sport.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks,

Up here the we have a DX model which are non-existent. The LX are the top selling models and with most of them pretty much sold out choosing the Sport wasn't a hard decision

I've been shopping around, the average cost of insurance for cars in Toronto float around $2800/yr. but if I was in Markham it would drop $800 - 1000/yr.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by risk2112
The fog lights. Nobody will ever use those things unless they live on the coast or in the mountains where there is actual fog. Everybody I have ever known with fog lights has never used them. If they do encounter fog they forget they even have them. That's why I don't even know what they do. I have never seen them in action.

Huh? I use my fog lights all the time, whenever I drive at night, fog or no fog. All the Fits I've seen driving use there's as well. Fog lights are great.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:02 PM
wasn't worth it to me

I bought a manual base nhbp fit

then threw some work emo 16's for the win

Old 09-22-2007, 02:04 AM
for me the sport was only $1,000 more, an EXTREMELY good deal when you think have how much alloy wheels cost and adding a security system to the base would have been $600-700 alone. also the base doesnt have an mp3 system which if i were to add on my own would been around $400. so basically i would have ended up paying the extra $1000+ on the base anyway. the spoiler, body trim, cruise control, etc. had nothing to do with the decision, they were just like freebies i suppose. i feel like i robbed honda.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:40 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by 2319
i feel like i robbed honda.

Haha, everyone on this forum could have robbed Honda and they probably wouldn't even feel a dent, seeing how well they're doing this year.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by mar1b0r0man
Hi all,

How's it going? I'm looking to pick up a Honda Fit (manual) within the next few weeks but still can't decide between the LX or Sport. Is the Sport really worth the extra $2000+?

Man the shift paddles alone are worth it...I would have paid that and then some to have them on my Civic...makes it really fun to drive!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Even the extra $2200 Honda Canada charges for our sport over our LX, the Sport is worth it. ($19,540 as compared to $17,380) Here are some canadian prices on the parts:

Spoiler: $516.95
Fog Lights: $555.70
15 inch alloy wheels: Not really sure...but the 16's go for $1418.79
Underbody kit: Again not sure...but I have an after market underbody kit on my Prelude which cost just under a $1000 not including the paint and installation. Usually OEM costs more than aftermarket.
Keyless Entry: $238.59
Security System: $332.78

There are a few more add ons that come with the Sport but this gives you an idea. The only thing that I don't like is why Honda Canada charges $4300 more than what Honda of America charges.

Last edited by prelude_guy97; 09-22-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by prelude_guy97
The only thing that I don't like is why Honda Canada charges $4300 more than what Honda of America charges.
If you mean this regarding only the car itself and youre comparing it to the $15,000 sticker price in the states, we arn't quite that lucky. 15,000 is a lie, it's more like $18,000-$19,000 American dollars since the demand is increasing and they can get away with it. or are they really going for $23,000 American dollars in Canada? Im just wondering now lol. If they are I'd rather buy mine in a border state and then drive it back to Canada... unless they'd make me pay more anyway for some random law that says blah blah blah about foreign cars

Old 09-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Noob needing advice

I am seriously thinking of buying a Jazz. I took one for a spin today and was impressed. If I get one, it will be the CVT version. But I'm confused as to what exactly is the difference between the non-sport and sport versions. This is because the salesman told me I was test driving a non-sport model, but it had paddles, keyless entry and electric windows front and back, so was I actually driving a sport version? The Honda wesbite, and the comments here, suggest I was.

Also, the salesman said the sport version was a waste of money because there was no difference in performance, but the honda website says that the sport version is 1.2 seconds quicker from 0-60 (even though the engines are the same and the salesman was sure there was no difference to the tuning).

Is the sport version actually any nippier, or is it simply a better trim level?

Also, the salesman said we couldn't get the non-sport version and add fog lights. Is this true? About the only optional extras seemed to be metallic paint and a sunroof. I couldnt find out more because they had run out of catalogues.

btw - here in the peak district in the UK, it is handy to have foggies occassionally - probably about once or twice a year. what i dont understand is why some people drive with their sidelights and fog lights on when it is completely clear. i guess they feel if they've spent money on them they might as well show them off.

Also btw - the reason I'm looking for a new car is, I currently have a Smart 4-2 but the engine has completely broken....after just 37k miles! The mercedes mechanic told me it is because the engines are assembled by the french who just dont know how to make cars. he said another smart with the same problem had only done 22k miles! how pathetic is that?

Old 09-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by 2319
If you mean this regarding only the car itself and youre comparing it to the $15,000 sticker price in the states, we arn't quite that lucky. 15,000 is a lie, it's more like $18,000-$19,000 American dollars since the demand is increasing and they can get away with it. or are they really going for $23,000 American dollars in Canada? Im just wondering now lol. If they are I'd rather buy mine in a border state and then drive it back to Canada... unless they'd make me pay more anyway for some random law that says blah blah blah about foreign cars

That's insane! I also heard that used ones at times still sell for more than the $15,000 USD price.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Now that the CAN dollar is finally the same as the US dollar... we are really getting screwed up here. There is typically a 5000$ to 20,000$ difference in price Honda isn't the worst offender of this pricing mis-match either. Nissan, Porsche and BMW are really bad.

Check it out for yourselves
Honda Canada
http://automobiles.honda.com/

Here is the S2000... a 50,000$ car in Canada and a 34,000$ car in the US. Sorry, but go F&#@$ Yourselves Honda, screwing people over like this is crap!!
Honda Canada
2008 Honda S2000 - Options and Pricing - the Official Honda Web Site

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-23-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Totally agree SugarPhreak! Theres the 68 thousand dollar Corvette the US gets for $45 grand. We get a Fit Sport for 19540....the US can get a base model Accord for less! WTF! This will begin to piss people off if companies dont lower some of their prices.

I actually sent Honda Canada a message regarding their foolish pricing. I had to use the 'model feedback' feature to get the message through. Im just hoping that other people who prefer other makes do the same! I mentioned the Fit pricing, the $17,000 difference in the S2000 and why every other model is so much higher.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Only thing I can really add to what to get is the bumper guard, it's a strip of rubber that goes on top of the bumper, though I suspect you could get that just about anywhere.

Get the window guard over the top (having a brain fart for the name of them) keeps the rain out of the car if you like the window cracked in most weather.

the floormats get the rubber all season ones.

As far as some of the extras that honda will probably try to sell you.. 3M, stain guard, etc.......... go local. I made the mistake of going through the dealer. silly me.

Quick Reply: Fit - Is the Sport worth it?