General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fit - Is the Sport worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies What a great forum!

I'll definitely consider the Sport model, even though I don't really need the extras. But I don't think I can get after market rims & skirts for less than $2000 CDN.

Just curious, what use is there for the paddle shifters on the Sport manual transmission?

Thanks again

Old 09-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Let me preface this by saying that this is my opinion on my purchase and should not be taken as a judgment of others' choices. I do think the Sport model is nicer looking but...

I went with the LX because it wasn't worth it to me to pay $2300 for:
  • a body kit
  • fog lights
  • nicer stereo
  • alloy wheels
  • paddle shifter
  • keyless entry
  • alarm
  • some leather
I view these as mainly having aesthetic value rather than function. If these things are of value to you, then it is worth it. For me, I felt that the money would be more "functional" if it stayed in my wallet.

Also, remember that the extra hardware adds enough weight to impact your gas mileage (adds 0.2 L/100km). You will continue to pay a small premium for the Sport trim kit throughout the life of the car.

I did, however, add keyless to my LX--it's well worth it.

To some of those who posted above: it should be noted that the Canadian LX is not the same as the US base model. It has an aux port and cruise control (they added cruise mid-way through the 07 model year--a nice little bonus for those of us that waited).

Last edited by marsguy; 09-04-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mar1b0r0man
Just curious, what use is there for the paddle shifters on the Sport manual transmission?
Thanks again
None, which is why they aren't available on the MT Sports, only on the AT Sports.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks again for all the replies,

Gonna drop by the dealer tomorrow, need to take a better look at the Sport vs. LX to decide. I'll definitely be picking one up before the end of this month, Honda Canada still got that 0.9% financing on the 2007 models

Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
There was no difficult choice for me - sport all the way!!! I couldnt have asked for a better package!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Go 4 It

I agree with the others. The Sport is well worth the extra money. Let us know what you decide!

Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Sport all the way. If you don't like the body kit, you'd be better off taking it off and buying a set of the plugs for the holes from the dealership.

Another point that hasn't been mentioned, a security system can sometimes mean an insurance discount. Something else to consider.

Besides, if you don't have the Sport, you won't have the fun delving into the mysteries of how to get the fog lights to work independently.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by HotIron
a security system can sometimes mean an insurance discount. Something else to consider.
I'm not sure what it is like in other parts of Canada, but here in BC we get the insurance discount for having a passive immobilizer (included with all Fits). ICBC (our insurance company) doesn't discount for any other types of security systems.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Checked it out, I think I'm gonna go with the Sport, it does look quite a bit better aesthetically Any recommendations for accessories? I'm looking for some items to bargain with

Can someone confirm if we're getting shafted again? it seems the 2008 Fit we're getting up in Canada doesn't have TPMS like the US version does

In Toronto the insurance companies all say we get discounts here and there but it's still adds up to be very expensive ~2500+/yr. with a clean record

Last edited by mar1b0r0man; 09-06-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mar1b0r0man
Any recommendations for accessories? I'm looking for some items to bargain with
Floor mats, cargo liner, cargo cover to start...

Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 AM
What is a body kit? I got the sport version of the fit a month ago, and don't know what body kit means (its my first ever new car). The car just came with manuals/warranty stuff and keys. No "kit" was given to me. Thanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:29 PM
the sport is very worth it. The body kit, rims, better stereo, aux jack, and a security system, and keyless entry. everything is overall better.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by samwell
the sport is very worth it. The body kit, rims, better stereo, aux jack, and a security system, and keyless entry. everything is overall better.
Maybe for California weather but we live in diff. winter conditions.
Besides that, the extra money he would pay for the Sport would cover his
huge ins. costs.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi all,

I ended up going with the Sport and all it's frivolous features, up here dealers still had some 07's left in stock and I just made a down payment for a 07 Sport MT black 0.9% financing gonna be picking it up in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions, cheers!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Retired Moderator
Awesome choice dude! When you get your car, you will know you made the right choice! The sport package just makes the car feel overall more upscale! Looking foward to some pics when you pick up your new baby!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:37 AM
I know a lot of people are way into tricking out tiny cars that are designed for economy, but I will never understand it. I LOVE my Fit, but it's not a race car and it sure as hell does not look like one. Adding a useless tailfin thing on the back and useless body crap on the bottom does not really make it look much better. It is what it is.

Fog Lights? Who the hell uses fog lights? What do they even do?

Alarm System? When is the last time you heard an alarm go off and went outside to check it out? If you did, what did you think was going to happen. Planning on aprehending some car theives? You would probably get your ass kicked and they would still steal the car. Alarms are completely useless unless you get an insurance discount. Then you should turn that crap off, so it doesn't wake up your neighbors every morning when the cat jumps on it. Lojac actually might do some real good and will not annoy EVERYBODY that is ignoring your alarm anyways.

Paddle shifters. - Totally fun, but again it's not a race car. 109hp guys, paddle shifters?

What's up with keyless entry? Saves 1/2 a second it takes you to put your key in the door? How much is that really worth?

Bigger tires, again not a race car, and it still handles great and is fun as hell to drive without them.

Cruise control and a better sterio are the only things that the sport offers that are really useful. (By the way, Base model sterio is equiped with a blinking light to scare off theives. Much more effective than an actual alarm that makes noise)

The car seems to be designed and priced to be an economy utilitarian vehicle. Get my ass from point A to B as cheeply as possible and last as long as possible. IMO, that's what the car is all about and if those are the reasons you want to buy it, then the sport is a waste of money.

If you really want it to look cool, just throw on one of those dope ass mufflers that make your 109hp ride sound like a Harley. You will be the toast of the town.

I apologize in advance to everyone who has a tricked out Fit that I might have offended. Just trying to help a buyer make the right choice for them and more power to you guys for going for it. I just doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Whoops, guess I was a little late on that. Good job dude, I am sure you will be stoked.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=risk2112;174026]

What's up with keyless entry? Saves 1/2 a second it takes you to put your key in the door? How much is that really worth?
quote]

Love the keyless entry. As a delivery driver, always looking for ways to trim the seconds off delivery times. Saves about 3 to 5 seconds, which can be as much as 90 to 120 seconds a shift, thats one more delivery which is one more tip. The keyless entry will pay for the entire sport package within the year. Woot.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by risk2112
plus it will help keep scratches off your car

Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by risk2112
Fog Lights? Who the hell uses fog lights? What do they even do?
Umm, they increase visibility in fog, due to their placement and light pattern. Of course, in the US, they are made less useful by tying into the headlights.

Alarm System? When is the last time you heard an alarm go off and went outside to check it out?
See, I agree that audible alarms are useless. But this one allows keyless entry, which is useful. Also, it includes an immobilizer which doesn't allow the car to start without the proper key.

Paddle shifters. - Totally fun, but again it's not a race car. 109hp guys, paddle shifters?
Doesn't matter how little power you have - if you can hold the shifts longer, you get better acceleration, which really helps on highway onramps where the AT normally wants to shift too soon.

Quicker, and I don't have to aim for a tiny slot in the door while carrying things. I can also unlock all the doors at once, instead of having my passengers wait until I first unlock my door, then reach inside and unlock theirs. Convenience features don't have to save whole minutes to be convenient.

Bigger tires, again not a race car, and it still handles great and is fun as hell to drive without them.
More surface area = better traction. Which is handy when road conditions are not the best. I'll take the biggest shoes Honda'll sell me.

Cruise control and a better stereo are the only things that the sport offers that are really useful.
I agree that cruise and an audio upgrade are useful, but not the only useful things, obviously.
The car seems to be designed and priced to be an economy utilitarian vehicle. Get my ass from point A to B as cheaply as possible and last as long as possible. IMO, that's what the car is all about and if those are the reasons you want to buy it, then the sport is a waste of money.
Agreed. Though, when I bought my Sport, I wanted a car that was economical, with a little extra. If you just want a bare-bones econobox, skip the Sport package. Which I believe is Honda's strategy.

If you really want it to look cool, just throw on one of those dope ass mufflers that make your 109hp ride sound like a Harley. You will be the toast of the town.
Sounding like a Harley makes you...look better? I don't get it. The body kit makes you look better. The coffee-can just makes you sound stupid.

I apologize in advance to everyone who has a tricked out Fit that I might have offended.
Not offended. (OK, maybe a little). Just wanted to defend us Sport buyers. It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I don't think the Sport package is as useless as some make it out to be.

Sorry for the length. Never thought I'd be so defensive about a car.

Quick Reply: Fit - Is the Sport worth it?