General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

MT fit jerking at 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:44 AM
MT fit jerking at 1st gear

is it just me or are any other fit require an extremely focus mind and feet to do a smooth acceleration? and some times even when the clutch is fully engaged at 2500-3000 RPM then i continue holding in the gas to do a low-mid acceleration, the car would just jerks . well I've been driving manual all my life and i consider myself an above advage driver. I've never owned a MT car that act the way fit does. is it because of the gutless engine? (all my previous/second car has 6 or more cylinders and would not jerk on 1st.) i work at a shop and I've driven a fair amount of cars but there is nothing else like the fit. I'm thinking it might be something with the drive by wire acting up..... i don't know. it pisses me off so usually i would just floor it to take away the jerking which defeated the purpose of driving a econo box to save gas. oh, and friends who've driven my car says the same thing. so it's not just me.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Originally Posted by darrell
is it just me or are any other fit require an extremely focus mind and feet to do a smooth acceleration? and some times even when the clutch is fully engaged at 2500-3000 RPM then i continue holding in the gas to do a low-mid acceleration, the car would just jerks . well I've been driving manual all my life and i consider myself an above advage driver. I've never owned a MT car that act the way fit does. is it because of the gutless engine? (all my previous/second car has 6 or more cylinders and would not jerk on 1st.) i work at a shop and I've driven a fair amount of cars but there is nothing else like the fit. I'm thinking it might be something with the drive by wire acting up..... i don't know. it pisses me off so usually i would just floor it to take away the jerking which defeated the purpose of driving a econo box to save gas. oh, and friends who've driven my car says the same thing. so it's not just me.
It's definitely caused by the engine's lack of torque. You just have to get used to feathering the clutch

Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
I'm with you guys... The worst is the 1st when cold,
now you talk about jerking ! The good and the bad
news is that it's how this car is made... need to rev
high to got torque. It's a Honda thing...

Philippe

Last edited by phil_qc; 08-27-2007 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i agree with the above posters, same thing happens to me too. it just took some changes in the way i drove, now it's not a problem anymore.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
It got some getting used to when the engine was cold but once it got to operation temps, it felt fine to me.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
i only notice this when the AC is on.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I notice it a lot when switching from driving my '89 Accord to my Fit. They drive quite differently but after a little bit you just adjust.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
i only notice this when the AC is on.
Exactly, MUCH worse then.

I kind of agree on the lack of HP/torque, but I have driven cars with less HP (28 and up) and did not have this problem.

What seems to happen, you rev, let up on the clutch, the car moves forward, and falls on its face..(lurch)..then catches.

I still think the idle is too low with the air on at idle, it should kick up a bit to lessen this effect?

Old 08-28-2007, 12:42 AM
^exactly what you said. it feels like as soon as the clutch engaged and you think you gonna move along smoothly, the car automatically cuts off your throttle and go again(X3 times when cold). that's why i think it's they way the programed the throttle to cause such problem. I've driven less power full car such as 1.3 echo with wired throttle and it didn't have this problem and maybe I'm just too used to making small adjustments with my feet to make a car moves smoothly without the aid of drive by wire computer. and when i do those adjustment with my feet the computer doesn't know how to response to the input.... or maybe just lag of torque

seriously, my 82 carbriolate with 250000 km on clock + no oil change for a year pulls harder than the fit. lol

Old 03-04-2008, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
ive had no problems with my m/t fit, its my first car and my first m/t. for me, there is hardy any jerking or shaking or whatevers in first gear.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think you guys are either not clutch-in all the way or clutching out
too soon.

although the full engagement is around the middle of the clutch pedal's
throw, it starts engaging pretty low near the floor.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
i notice the same thing.... ur not alone!

Old 03-04-2008, 04:15 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Yep. The surge in 1st/2nd/3rd gear in the Fit when the engine is cold is one of the only negative things I've noticed.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I think a lot of it might have to do with the fact that the Fit's first gear is low low low. I guess it's necessary to get the car moving from a stop with so little torque, but I try to shift into 2nd as soon as possible, and even use 2nd when driving around parking lots, etc.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
After moving :

It's not the Clutch
It's not the nice 5 speed
It's the poorly designed Throttle by wire that is the cause of making it hard to shift.

With a normal design, when you lift off the gas the RPM's will drop and fall right into a spot for the next gear. With the Fit's TBW, the rpms will stay high and even pop up a tad before falling. 99% of the time, when you release the clutch the eng and tranny RPM are far enough from each other the car will lurch.

Watch the tach and start adding some delay to you time wit the clutch it and that will help.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 03-05-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
The first gear definitely jerks. Places I notice this problem:
1) Starts - solve by engaging at higher rev and ease the clutch in
2) Speed bumps - solve by disengaging clutch while going over the hump
3) Bumper to bumper traffic where I'm engine breaking - solve by being in second gear or not taking right foot off the gas completely

Hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
After moving :
It's not the Clutch
It's not the nice 5 speed
It's the poorly designed Throttle by wire that is the cause of making it hard to shift.
I agree. I think the bad Drive by Wire system is the culprit and not the low torque issue. But, I don't think the OP was talking about the hanging rev during shifts... he's talking about the jerk in first gear at low revs.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know about a jerk, but I have noticed a clutch shudder when cold in 1st gear. While the clutch is in the "friction zone," there's a rapid grab-slip-grab that feels like a warped clutch disc. It goes away as soon as the car warms a bit.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by richard612
I don't know about a jerk, but I have noticed a clutch shudder when cold in 1st gear. While the clutch is in the "friction zone," there's a rapid grab-slip-grab that feels like a warped clutch disc. It goes away as soon as the car warms a bit.
I've notice the same feeling in my fit...could anyone shed light on the issue?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 AM
C_O
odd.. in 1st gear i'm experiencing absolutely no jerking. i roll out of 1st gear lower than 400rpm sometimes and have not stalled. i can't imagine jumping out of 1st at 3k+ rpm, maybe that's the problem? i usually wait till the cold light goes out before i leave, cold engine/tranny may also be the cause of the jerky 1st gear.

-Charlie

Quick Reply: MT fit jerking at 1st gear