General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

MT fit jerking at 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member
I've never had any jerking problem.... by thats just me

Old 03-09-2008, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
I've never had a problem unless i'm below 1500 rpms. I usually start to engage the clutch at around 2k rpm. My last car was a Porsche, and nobody could drive it because of the odd clutch engagement. Maybe i'm just used to un-drivable cars

Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Like everyone said it may take some getting used to because of the lack of torque. I learned to blip the throttle to 2000rpm then let of the clutch as the rpm's drop, works well or you can burn the clutch/gas doing what others have said by engaging at higher rpms.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 PM
hi all, i'm a new user from the netherlands.
i got the same problems u guys have with the throttle, got my jazz 2 weeks ago.
it turns out to be the EGR valve that was faulty, they replaced it.
and now it's fine again, it runs really smooth

regards indra.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:32 PM
emi
The clutch assembly overheated. if you play dumb and you're lucky, the dealer might replace the whole thing under warranty. I've heard it may go away on it's own.

Here's my hipothesis: when overheated the organic compound on the clutch disc will transfer and bond to the steel on the pressure plate and flywheel. This changes the friction properties of the steel surface. On some cars it causes shudder when cold, on others when warm... I owned a 2000 3 series bmw, that had 2 clutches replaced because of this problem. It shudders violently when hot, and it did not go away on its own.

Many hi-performance brake pads require a brake-in procedure. It involves heating up the brake pads and rotors to a threshold temperature, where molecules from the pad bond to the rotor. I am suspecting that the same thing happens to clutch assemblies when they get hot.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by richard612
I don't know about a jerk, but I have noticed a clutch shudder when cold in 1st gear. While the clutch is in the "friction zone," there's a rapid grab-slip-grab that feels like a warped clutch disc. It goes away as soon as the car warms a bit.
I'm experiencing this exact problem right now with my 2009 Honda Fit Sport (5-speed).

Does ANYONE have the answer to this/know why it's doing that? Most importantly, how do I go about telling the dealership what to fix? I want this gone. The car really feels like it will stall in 1st gear at the "friction zone" when the engine isn't all that warmed up. The sound is quite rapid, as mentioned by richard612, and very hard to bear.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
I'm at 20k miles and mine's still doing it. I'm not sure that I agree 100% with that clutch overheating idea. I'm always been very gentle with mine. Maybe a little too gentle. I sometimes wonder if it would smooth the action out were I to slip it a bit and wear the mating surface down a little.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
the fit's tranny is very smooth and good. i think the issue is that there's a bigger learning curve for the Fit when driving stick. once u get used to it its easy..but i do admit there are times when i jerk like crazy

Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
I think the problem being discussed here is clutch shudder/chatter when cold, not an issue with the tranny itself.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I had this problem with my 2007 Fit from the beginning. We suspected it might be a warped flywheel, but when we took it in during warranty, the dealership 'couldn't replicate the problem'. I have driven it 80k+ miles in 4 years and it never got consistently better, though it was worse in the cold.

Last week the clutch gave out completely - 80k miles is too early! So be forewarned that it won't get better over time or mileage, and it's not supposed to be like that! Now that the clutch is replaced, it pulls out of first with the smoothness it always should have (so wonderful in contrast!), and I'm just sorry I doubted myself before! I would recommend anyone under warranty be more forceful in trying to get their own fixed if it does the same!

As to what was wrong, the fellow who did the replacement said everything he was replacing (including flywheel, jic) looked fine, so he wasn't sure what had been causing the problem...

I need an alignment now that the clutch was replaced, but there is also a new whine that may need fixed first - it comes on with the car and matches engine speed regardless of clutch engagement, but goes away after a while. I'll have to investigate.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
interesting stuff. I never had my car jerk in first gear but then again this is my first manual car. I've driven Integra's and Rsx's and the clutch system on those catches very quick and strong compared to my Fit.The only time I notice that the car jerks is under 1500rpms but everything after that is smooth sailing. You just have to get used to it.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Help?

Hey everyone.

I read this thread n thank god im not the only one.

I have a Jazz GD1 1.3L, done 150,000km.

At 145,000km, i notice that i got jerking as well. But i think it's different from what is described here.

I would pull off from 1st (smooth), then go into 2nd (smooth transition again). In second, if i push the car to accelerate fast, then i will get this jerk. Imagine it like a turbo kick, but so bad/rough that my it hurt my neck T_T. Happens like 2/10 times.

When the clutch is cold, it wont happen. After 15-20min of just normal driving, i.e. not pushing the car too hard, it will happen on 3rd gear as well if i accelerate.

My accelerate means that i press on the gas like a "normal person". My normal is almost like grandpa driving.

Also on 4th gear, if I try and accelerate, the car will go, jerk, then go again >.> Happens 4/10 times.

At first, i really believed that it was my driving. I thought that my clutch foot hitting the pedal by accident, but it wasnt. I thought it was the carpet catching the pedal, but it wasnt. I would drive at 80km/h along the highway, then out of nowhere, jerk.

Would you say that i should get my clutch changed? i think at 150,000km is the time anyway, but i just dont want to throw my money away if i can put if off for longer (money issue)

Any suggestions and comments please

Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
I was reading all the post and i have a similar problem that at first i thought was the delay caused by the drive by wire system. I experience clutch slip/delay when taking off in first and when i shift fast from first to second causing a jerk/bounce. Anyone here considered replacing their clutch master cylinder due to the cdv that is built in.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-cdv-gone.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...lay-valve.html

this may help you get an idea of what im talking about if you dont already know.

Last edited by myblackhatch; 06-29-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
FYI. Here's another thread discussion about what is posted here. Thought you might want to know.

1st gear stalling start up (help)