General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

cargo floorboard strength

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:48 AM
Arrow cargo floorboard strength

I really love my Fit, but one question I have for you fellow Fit Freaks is concerning the thickness, and strength of the board that covers the spare tire area.

I knew it was thin even before I bought the Fit, and I have not had any problem with it breaking or cracking, or anything of that sort, but then I have not loaded anything heavy on it. Be that as it may, do any of you people have any experience with it (either negative or positive).

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:16 AM
i've loaded about 4 heavy cases of bottled water on there and it was fine.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:28 AM
Well, mine is cracked...

I will say though that I am very rough on the cargo area. It seems like weight isn't a problem, it's only weight in a tight spot. I have had hundreds of pounds in there no problem but I cracked it with a much lighter item that had a small footprint.

It seems like the weak spot is the couple of inches closest to the hatch. In other parts it is supported by the spare tire but at the edge there is has no support (and that is where my cracked).

On the other hand the crack is not really noticeable from the top, you can only see it if you lift that cover up to look underneath.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:43 AM
I have a full size spare that sits on top of that area. I no longer have the donut under there so there is no support. No problems and it's been that way for almost a year now.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:14 PM
The material looks like the same stuff that was in my civic hatchback. After a few years the material in the hatchback became more brittle. I had the seats down and I leaned in with my hand near the spare and it went through the partice board.

I'm guessing overtime the fit floorboard will do the same. I was thinking of making a floorboard out of the plastic that the post office uses for those little office mail bins (Opaque white corrigated plastic). I have seen sheets of the stuff sold, but I dont remember where I saw it. I was think at an office supply store or something. Maybe it was at Tap Plastics.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:30 AM
I removed my spare to drop the extra weight and do worry since the area is now unsupported. I put in a carpc in the spare tire well and plan on cutting a new "floorboard" from something like 3/8" ply

Old 09-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by jojabis
I removed my spare to drop the extra weight and do worry since the area is now unsupported. I put in a carpc in the spare tire well and plan on cutting a new "floorboard" from something like 3/8" ply
Three short questions: 1. You said you put in a "carpc," did you mean carpet? If not, what?

2. Now that you have no spare, aren't you concerned about what you will do if you have a flat? (I already had one with my Fit, and the tire shop would not repair it, as the hole was too close to the sidewall-I had to buy a new tire)

3. regarding the new "floorboard will you take out the old particle board, or leave it in, with the new plywood.

Thanks,

Old 09-02-2007, 05:57 AM
CarPC as in a PC in my car. The case is where the spare was, and the screen is up in the front (I still need to mount it).

I have road side assistance though my insurance, I am never more then 20 minuets from home where the spare is, most often it I'm not home I am at my office where there are at least 5 other vehicles I could drive, and last but not least there are 4 perfect tires mounted on the stock wheels in my garage that would work at great spares. Basically I am not really to concerned about it.

finally about the floorboard what I want to do is get some plywood that is more substantial and use the current piece as a template to cut out the shape from. Since this will be going over the carpc I would also like to mount some fans on the under side and cut some vent holes so the carpc doesn't overheat. And then store the stock piece with all the other pieces that I have taken off (air filter, tires, and some other odds and ends)

Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
My Integra GSR is the same. My friend cut some out of plywood as well. cant remember how think maybe 1/2? anyway it really helps now. but the only thing is that it is a little bit thicker so the carpet is raised just a tad. No I did not keep the original particle board as there is a tear in it.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by jojabis
CarPC as in a PC in my car. The case is where the spare was, and the screen is up in the front (I still need to mount it).

I have road side assistance though my insurance, I am never more then 20 minuets from home where the spare is, most often it I'm not home I am at my office where there are at least 5 other vehicles I could drive, and last but not least there are 4 perfect tires mounted on the stock wheels in my garage that would work at great spares. Basically I am not really to concerned about it.

finally about the floorboard what I want to do is get some plywood that is more substantial and use the current piece as a template to cut out the shape from. Since this will be going over the carpc I would also like to mount some fans on the under side and cut some vent holes so the carpc doesn't overheat. And then store the stock piece with all the other pieces that I have taken off (air filter, tires, and some other odds and ends)
I was curious and a little concerned, but it all makes sense to me now. thanks for taking the time to tell me.