General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

An Aggravating Day

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Angry An Aggravating Day

So, I washed my car today. Found a nice, big, fat, ugly black place on the front bumper where a rock apparently completely obliterated my paint. There's a little indent in the paint... went straight down to the black material, and the paint "rippled" up. I cut some of that crap off. Hopefully I can find some good touch-up paint or a kit of some kind where I can make it almost invisible.

Anyone have any suggestions on that? I assume my local Autozone or Advance Auto Parts would have touch up paint, but is there such a thing as some kind of filler that would fill the speck in? I could just put the paint on it, but the place is still going to be noticeable because it's not flush with the rest of the bumper.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Retired Moderator
Bummer about your Fit. What color is it? Just wondering because if you buy like a standard black touch up paint it wont match perfect to NHBP paint that Honda uses on the Fit. Good luck getting it repaired!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
UGH! That is the pits. I'd have it checked out by the dealership first and see what they say. They do sell touch up paints for the main body of the car that will match perfectly. Yup! The only problem with being so close to the road - I try to stay away from the interstates if I can and any place I'm driving that has a lot of loose rocks - try to take it slower.

Hope you can get some help but I would ask a professional first just to get their input.

Let us know how it goes -

Cat :x

Old 07-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Ouch, I've had Knightmares to how I will react when I find my first.

While cruiseing MOTHERS®: Wax Forum I recall a product that I have not yet had to try. they have a website at LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair

Like Tool Said,, the only way to match the paint, is the touch up paint sold by the dealer,,,, even knowing the flavor of the paint, they need the paint code off the door jamb to match up your particular batch.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
two words;
vinyl bra
or
clear bra
guess that's four,,,,sorry

Old 07-15-2007, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
I got some paint the other day at a KOI automotive paint store, to paint my dash kit to match the car (BOM)... so far, so good. I dont know that its an exact match, but I havent tried using any of it to touch up any body paint (hopefully that wont be for a while). I would assume with your chip, you might end up having to buff or sand it out, then go from there. I would do as someone else mentioned, take it to the dealer or a body place and see what they recommend. The guys at the KOI store here were very helpful, you might give them a call (there should be one near you) and see if they could steer you in the right direction. As for the clear bra someone mentioned, I looked into it and this is what I was told by more than one person: first, hold on to your wallet because it is expensive. Second, it works very well, but the sheen isnt as smooth as the rest of the car.. it can be waxed also, but still will not be as shiny as the clear coat on the rest of your car. I havent seen it in person yet, so I cannot say whether it is really obvious or not, but this just reinforced my will to find a daggone hood deflector. I know it wont help the lower spoiler, but Im trying to keep hope that it wont get dinged up really badly for a while (riiiiight... that will happen, lol).

Old 07-16-2007, 04:07 AM
touch up paint is useless... i can never understand why people buy them.

if your paint is cracked, go repaint your bumper or live with the crack.

as far as bras goes, leather, vinyal, clear, whatever. it's a piece of insoliation. not a forcefield.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about the chip.

I was looking at my car yesterday and something caught my eye too. I thought it was a splattered bug but it wasn't. I have the clear bra on my car at it looks like I got hit with something big also. Whatever it was, it hit the front and indented the paint and pushed it up creating a ripple just like you described. It didn't go all the way to the black but it left a nice little indent.

It measures a little more than a quarter inch in length and I know if I didn't have the clear bra, it would be much uglier. I can't put touch up paint on the area since I can't get under the clear bra so I have to live with it.

The bra isn't damaged but I didn't think anything could do that much damage with the bra in place especially if I didn't see it hurdling at my car while driving.

Oh well, the first major blemish on the car, it had to happen sometime.

Mark

Old 07-16-2007, 02:11 PM
I have all sorts of rock chips on my front bumper/hood. At first they drove me crazy, but now I've just sort of accepted it. In a year or so I think I'll have the front bumper and hood repainted/touched up. I'll get the dent that someone put in my front passenger door fixed as well (that was a real heartbreaker).

Old 07-16-2007, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
good point,,,this may not go over well here but,,,,,,
It is just a car,,,
it will not stay nice forever,,,unless you put it under glass in a museum
it's not worth ruinning your day over
most people will not see it or care if they do
it's still a nice looking/running machine
you can fix it when you are ready to pay someone to do a new paint job
MH advice is to enjoy your car, do what you can to preserve it but don't get all bent outta shape if it takes a hit. It can be fixed if you really can't live with it. There is more important things in life to worry about,,,,JMHO good day,,,,,
BTW I have gone the way of the vinyl bra to help preserve mine,,,,,

Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Well, firstly, I'm not getting bent out of shape about it. I like to share my stories with other Fit owners. That's why I am subscribed to the forum. Nowhere in my post did I get "bent out of shape".

Old 07-17-2007, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
,,,Opps sorry you are right you'r haveing an,,
"An Aggravating Day"
how silly of me to get that confussd with "bent outta shape"
you have a PM

Last edited by grouser; 07-17-2007 at 10:40 AM.