General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

new hybrid fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 PM
new hybrid fit

read a little about it.

2008 Honda Fit Hybrid to get Insight engine - Autoblog

Shortly after an industry insider confirmed that Honda would release a hybrid version of the Honda Fit subcompact, Honda announced that they would discontinue the Insight in Sept. 2006, and introduce a new hybrid-specific car in 2009.
Honda Fit Hybrid

The Emergence of the Economy Hybrid

In an exclusive interview with HybridCars.com, an industry insider has confirmed that Honda will release a hybrid version of the Honda Fit subcompact. At least, that's what they told us. The source, who wished to remain anonymous, said:
"If you take the measurement from the wheel hub to the wheel hub of the Fit and the Insight, they are the same to the millimeter. The Fit is going to get the Insight engine. It's already a proven powertrain. It will probably get fuel economy in the low to mid-50s."
We published the news right away, but quickly started to look like liars. A few weeks after the HybridCars.com interview, Honda announced that they would discontinue the Insight in Sept. 2006, and introduce a new hybrid-specific car in 2009. Dick Colliver, executive vice president of Honda's North American operation, said the new hybrid will be an entirely new model and will be built in Japan. Did the line about "entirely new model" mean that the Fit Hybrid was an illusion. Yes, a complete illusion according to an December 2006 interview with Takeo Fukui, CEO of Honda, in Automotive News. "We're not thinking of a Jazz (Fit) hybrid right now...To us, the Jazz has sufficient fuel efficiency with the current gasoline engine" said Fukui. "Instead of coming up with a hybrid version of the Jazz, we're coming up with a hybrid-dedicated model for 2009. The car size would be about in the same category, but a completely different model."
In the same interview, HybridCars.com was told that Honda would also produce a hybrid version of its CR-V mini-SUV. Honda has not publicly confirmed its plans for a hybrid version of the CR-V, and as time passes, the CR-V look as illusory as the Fit Hybrid.
The Rumor Mill

We weren't alone in our storytelling. Rumors about a hybrid Fit began in February when the Japanese newspaper Nihon Keizai Shimbum reported that the new hybrid was on its way. Honda introduced the conventional Fit subcompact hatchback to the U.S. market in April 2006. The Fit is one of Honda's hottest selling models in Asia and Europe, where it is sold as the Jazz.
More excitement was stirred when Edmunds's Inside Line suggested that the Honda Fit Hybrid could mean an 80-mpg car selling for under $12,000. Hyperbole and gossip notwithstanding, the prospect of an affordable subcompact hybrid could restore Honda to its hybrid glory days when the company introduced the Honda Insight as the first hybrid on American roads in 1999. Hyundai has delayed their own plans for a subcompact hybrid in the form of an Accent/Rio. Otherwise, a new chapter in the hybrid saga would have begun: the entry-level or economy hybrid. Apparently, the emergence of super-efficient petite hybrids will have to wait until later in the decade.
The promise of subcompact hybrids gives encouragement to environmentalists who have criticized high-performance and SUV hybrids as a misuse of hybrid technology. They say that advances in automotive technology (including hybrid technology) over the past decades have been misplaced on larger and faster vehicles not well suited to increasingly crowded roadways—all with a big environmental cost.
A More Practical Insight

The debate will be settled by the marketplace. If gas prices head North again, maybe mainstream consumers will give up a few feet of legroom for maximum fuel economy. The Nihon Keizai Shumbum report said that Honda is targeting fuel economy for the Fit hybrid in the 60-mpg range. As a subcompact, the Fit is cute and small—but has over 90 cubic feet of passenger volume (only slightly less than the midsize Accord) and 21.3 cubic feet of cargo capacity, nearly as much room as a Honda Element. The 60/40-split folding rear seats even allow the Fit to do some minor hauling. In that light, the Honda Fit hybrid—or the new Fit-esque hybrid—could be viewed as a more practical four-door version of the Honda Insight.
It's unlikely that a Honda hybrid subcompact would sell anywhere near $12,000. The new conventional Fit subcompact is priced starting between $13,000 and $14,000. Commonly, the hybrid version of vehicle sells for a couple of thousand dollars more than its conventional sibling. Even with the hybrid premium, its price will beat out the Civic Hybrid by approximately $5,000 and a Prius by $7,000 or more. The gas-only Fit is powered by a 109-horsepower 1.5-liter, four-cylinder VTEC engine. The Fit-like hybrid, according to our less than fully reliable HybridCars.com interview, will utilize a 1.0-liter engine.

[Source: HybridCars.com via TreeHugger.com]

Last edited by FaceYogurt; 07-13-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Am I missing something or aren't both of those blog posts over a year old? Any new information?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Wasn't this both brought up AND shot down over a year ago?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
On again, off again rumor it seems like from Honda world. The Fit was based on a similar, if not identical platform to the insight. Which gave rise to questions about placing the hybrid drivetrain into it. Until I see one, I take info like this with a grain of salt.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
I hate to bump an old thread, but is 35+ mpg not enough? I don't want this thing to go even slower!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 PM
RDS
Originally Posted by Mugen Mojo
I hate to bump an old thread, but is 35+ mpg not enough? I don't want this thing to go even slower!
The Fit isn't getting the IMA. It'll be going straight to the dedicated hybrid platform.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:18 PM
They need to do something with the "Insight" that thing is UGLY.
Poor lil' Honda needz a make-over!

tonyd

Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
They need to do something with the "Insight" that thing is UGLY.
Poor lil' Honda needz a make-over!

tonyd
they discontinued it in 06

Old 04-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
they discontinued it in 06
LOL....they need to recall the one's remaining on the road....lol....thx for the information!

tonyd

Old 05-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Waaah! I thought this was new news and there was really going to be a Fit hybrid. Oh well, I can still dream.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:16 PM
my guess is they were talking about the CRZ that will be a bastardized version of god's chariot the CRX

Old 05-07-2008, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
actually as far as I have heard from my local dealer and some rumors online, the new 2009 Fit will start as a 1.3 economy i-vtec version with a RS (road sailing) 1.5 i-vtec option. And then later in the year the car will incorporate Honda's new small hybrid engine for under 18k. I'm not sure though because the 2009 fit is rated already at 46mpg so who knows what they will try for. It would make sense: good looking, affordable, and roomy hybrid? it is so needed. If hybrids are gonna take off, why don't they market them better to everyone, I want a hybrid that doens't look like a lunchbox or cost 25,000 to own

Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Honda says no Fit hybrid - maybe something based on the fit platform?
Honda Global Subcompact Hybrid | Hybrid Cars

Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
1. the new 2009 Fit will start as a 1.3 economy i-vtec version with a RS (road sailing) 1.5 i-vtec option. Wrong (Not in North America).

2. And then later in the year the car will incorporate Honda's new small hybrid engine for under 18k. Wrong again (won't happen anywhere).

However, Honda does have plans to release a small hybrid, and it may well be based on the GSP (global small platform) that the Fit and many other Honda cars outside North America use.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jacksan1
1. the new 2009 Fit will start as a 1.3 economy i-vtec version with a RS (road sailing) 1.5 i-vtec option. Wrong (Not in North America).

2. And then later in the year the car will incorporate Honda's new small hybrid engine for under 18k. Wrong again (won't happen anywhere).

However, Honda does have plans to release a small hybrid, and it may well be based on the GSP (global small platform) that the Fit and many other Honda cars outside North America use.
Yeah, I just heard those in rumors. But thats too bad, a hybrid for under 18k would sell fast IMO

Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, sorry to have sounded so standoff-ish. Could have written better.

Yeah, I just heard those in rumors. But thats too bad, a hybrid for under 18k would sell fast IMO

I am in complete agreement about the hybrid. In fact, Honda is looking into that right now. Just not necessarily under the Fit's skin. One of the reasons that they are not exactly thinking about putting the hybrid system in the Fit is that the Fit is already a super-low-margin product for Honda. If they had to equip such a low margin car with a hybrid system and keep the price so low, Honda would lose money big time. A low-cost hybrid must be engineered anew in order to have any chance at the company making money (profit). The Civic hybrid doesn't exactly make money for Honda, either, but the Civic starts with a little bit more of a margin cushion, not like the Fit.

Toyota was losing money on every Prius sold until fairly recently, but they are now in the money. It is that difficult to make money off hybrid.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Old 05-21-2008, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
What do you know? Fit Hybrid is REALLY coming!

Well, what do I know really? I was wrong about the Fit Hybrid, as the CEO of Honda, Mr. Fukui, said in his mid-year speech earlier today that the Fit Hybrid, as well as the Civic HV and another small sport HV, will be introduced.

This fact is mentioned towards the bottom of the large Paragraph 3, right before the subparagraph that has the heading of [ Next generation fuel cell vehicle: FCX Clarity ].

Honda Worldwide | May 21, 2008 "Summary of 2008 Mid-Year CEO Speech FORECAST"

I am humbled and happy at the same time!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Retired Moderator
Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Yes there will be one, it will not be for north american release. the US will get the Global Small Hybrid and the CRZ there is no plans for the Fit Hybrid to be released here. This is a gLobal address and all vehicle discussed are not for all markets. The global small hybrid will be a 4 door hatch ala FCX but not a Fit specifically.

Quick Reply: new hybrid fit