General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

33/38 BS! have tried it all taken a salesman for a ride ! "we cant do anything"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by jeimusu86
i have never gotten over 30 mpg even with the most conservative driving, im talking 2500 rpm and no stop and go traffic, i think ive gotten 27 mpg as the best...i talked to honda and better business bureau, and i got some sh***y responses, they basically dont care, one thing about california honda dealerships is that they really dont like to take any responsibility...i highly do not recommend Norm Reeves and Hollywood Honda...stay away from their service at all cost, and as well buying from them, i had some rattling under the hood, and they said it was normal...afterwards i had someone else look at it and he found the problem easily, it was a loose bracket screw underneath the spoiler that was rattling...Norm Reeves and Hollywood Honda mechanics are lazy and complete morons, i would never get service from there
A lot goes into fuel economy. The FIT is EPA rated at 27 city and 29 combined. Sounds like you're pretty close to that. If you do very short runs (3-5 miles) the engine never has a chance to get warm and that is where the problem might lie. Are you using an ethenol blend? It does not have as much energy as gasoline. Do you coast in anticipation of stopping? Pump the tires up a bit. Honda calls for 32 psi, but there concerned a lot with comfort. Bring them up to 37 psi and see if it will coast longer. The Dunlops are rated at 51 psi max. (I run 46 psi cold)

I would like to learn more. Maybe I can help.

PS, sorry you had such bad luck with your dealer.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxmostwantedxxx
This is all bs I loveeeeeeee my fittttttt love its handling look everything .The gas milage on a AT is bs .maybe others are good but mine is really bad ever got 18mpg? then u know what i feel. highest ive gotten is city is 24 driving under 2500 rpm .WHO DOES THAT ?!?!?!? .Im thinking of selling my fit getting a MT hope those do good .wow they wont even trade it .They know it has problems!

Manual Fit sport
I once got 21mpg but I was hitting the rev limiter all the way home between 100 - 118 mph ( dont do that at home)

But the best ive had is 41mpg (once) regulary i got 30-33 average.

You should trade it for a manual or wait and trade it for the new Fit (when it arrives) but if your #1 priority is SAVE GAS, then and without any regret go and trade it for a YARIS as there is no way we will match it as a fuel saver. I like the Fit way more, and I can live with 30 mpg, but thats my choice, I mean go for what you like. I never personaly like an automatic Fit because 1. I don't like how Honda automatics work (feel) and, 2. The Fit lacks POWER + automatics steal POWER.

I like the paddles tho......!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Smile

carlosalicea....I like your AVATARS paddles!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Couldn't get my Fit Sport auto under 24 mpg on the race track at competitive lap times for 1.5 liter cars. You must drive in 2nd gear all the time. You can get better mpg in auto manual by shifting up as soon as possible. That beats the automatic program.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by John99GSX
I just don't see how you can get 15-18mpg.

Does the car run correctly? No shuddering under acceleration? Have you checked to be sure the air intake is connected and no loose connectors? Any odd noises from the car at idle or when accelerating? Did you check the gap on the spark plugs? Check the airbox/filter?

To get anywhere near 150-200 miles per 10 gallons you need to be doing allot of heavy traffic sitting still or have a major malfunction in the car.

I avoid flooring it from a stop, but by no means baby my cars. I got 283 miles to 9.104 (31.08 mpg) gallons on my first tank, 307.6 to 9.857 (31.21 mpg), and 248.6 to 7.502 (33.14 mpg) so far. I will need to fill up again this evening, but should be at or over the 300 mile mark this time too.

For my commute I drive 73 miles (1.5 hours) to and from work (146 miles a day).

The one way trip is 61.5 highway miles. I hit 2 choke points of traffic each day on the highway then the other 11.5 miles involve traffic and stoplights. I have to travel about 15 miles of steep hills/mountains.

The highway miles are at 75-85mph and the AC is on when its hot out.

I drive from Los Angeles to Fresno every weekend to visit my parents. I've put 10,000+ from 9-11-08 when I purchased my car, till the day it got totalled which was this Sunday.

City driving is shitty, i.e. in Los Angeles. However, from L.A. to Fresno, plus driving in the City in Fresno, the car gave me 380+ miles which was extremely impressive. It was the first time my car gave me so many miles.

Cruising speed the entire time from l.a. to fresno was cruise control 65-70 mph. This was on my 2008 sport fit, manual tranny. RIP FIT 08-08, that mofo was totalled this weekend along with my 06 honda civic sedan.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OneStopCustoms
I drive from Los Angeles to Fresno every weekend to visit my parents. I've put 10,000+ from 9-11-08 when I purchased my car, till the day it got totalled which was this Sunday.

City driving is shitty, i.e. in Los Angeles. However, from L.A. to Fresno, plus driving in the City in Fresno, the car gave me 380+ miles which was extremely impressive. It was the first time my car gave me so many miles.

Cruising speed the entire time from l.a. to fresno was cruise control 65-70 mph. This was on my 2008 sport fit, manual tranny. RIP FIT 08-08, that mofo was totalled this weekend along with my 06 honda civic sedan.
BOTH were totalled in one weekend?!? I hope that you're okay. Any plans to get "re-Fit-ted"? LOL
'07 VBP Sport 5MT

Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 AM
I deliver pizza and I am super hard on my car when I drive it and I get an average of 36mpg per tank. I deliver mostly in town and most deliveries are about a 10 minute drive there and back. Mine is an '07 A/T. My wife does about 20 minutes of city and 10 minutes of freeway twice a day and gets an average of 34 on an '08 M/T. So, beat the hell out of it and I think your mileage will improve!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Q: for those of you got 30+mpg, which gas did you fill? 87,89 or 93(USA octane rate)?

I got ~26mpg with 87. ~31mpg with 89. never tried 93 yet.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
i don't see why people buy the AT fit and complain about the performance or mileage. *sigh* the AT is junk.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by xxmostwantedxxx
This is all bs I loveeeeeeee my fittttttt love its handling look everything .The gas milage on a AT is bs .maybe others are good but mine is really bad ever got 18mpg? then u know what i feel. highest ive gotten is city is 24 driving under 2500 rpm .WHO DOES THAT ?!?!?!? .Im thinking of selling my fit getting a MT hope those do good .wow they wont even trade it .They know it has problems!

There are way to many replies and im too lazy to read em all

you save with a manual trans more than an AT because.

you car is lighter, and you have control at what rpm to change gears

Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I dont know why everyone downs the AT. Its really not that bad...I have been avg 33-35 mpg...using 87oct from Chevron (always). And in the AT you CAN control what rpm range it shifts in...those little paddles work nicely. Having driven Manuals b4 I would have to say yes there is a BIG difference in feel and control. I just get tiffed when everyone seems to down the AT....altho I can see where the base AT could kinda suck..no paddles there...mmmm.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:21 AM
On the last 4.8 gallons, I got only 99.1 miles off it. I know, it sounds bad, but it's just because I was idling with the A/C on for about 15-30 min waiting. Also, I was carrying alot of heavy stuff in the trunk.

If you do very short runs (3-5 miles) the engine never has a chance to get warm and that is where the problem might lie.
This is true because I used only 4.8 gallons this week. And every morning, I used gas to warm the engine. Then warmed the engine before driving home. So 7 days of doing that means 14 warmups, plus the warmups I had to do to run errands in between when my engine turned cold. Also, hitting 50% of the traffic lights didn't help the MPG either.

The only thing I would advise you to do is to fill up your tank, drive 15 miles on the highway and 15 miles back. Then fill up your tank at the same gas station and see if there is a big difference in MPG numbers. If not, then something really is wrong.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
I dirve a 2008 Sport MT just did my first complete fell-up (87 oct) since march 4 when it was purchased.current mileage 373. last tank averaged 34.5 mpg not bad considering it was 65% city driving and the car is pretty much brand new.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I get 27mpg highway on my DC5.. @ 70-80mph.

Just my .02c

Old 05-13-2008, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Seems to me that mileage and power are not linearly related...

ie, 34mpg @ 108hp -> 17mpg @ 432hp

Therefore 68mpg will be 27hp!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Took My first road trip through the mountains drove about 350 miles average speed 65mph never really got on the throttle ever and coasted through some steep sections
Believe it or not I averaged 52.5 mpg I could not believe it I almost sh#t myself. The car had over a 1/3 of a tank left after 350 miles of driving.
Car has 1200 miles on the odometer.
So far I'm really impressed by the gas mileage this little minivan gets.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
I get 27mpg highway on my DC5.. @ 70-80mph.

Just my .02c
I drove 100 miles on the highway at about 70-80mph yesterday (after having 120 city miles on the tank) and got a combined mpg of 28.

I think my fit is broken, but no one will look at it. My independent Honda-certified mechanic told me that the car is smart enough to report any problems, and with nothing reporting problems, there is nothing that can be fixed. The dealership just keeps telling me it'll improve over time. How much time? I'm at 12K now!

Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LizardKing
I drove 100 miles on the highway at about 70-80mph yesterday (after having 120 city miles on the tank) and got a combined mpg of 28.

I think my fit is broken, but no one will look at it. My independent Honda-certified mechanic told me that the car is smart enough to report any problems, and with nothing reporting problems, there is nothing that can be fixed. The dealership just keeps telling me it'll improve over time. How much time? I'm at 12K now!

Seems low for mpg I haven't got below 32mpg since day one.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by jtsimaras
Seems low for mpg I haven't got below 32mpg since day one.
My average is currently at 24.9 mpg (12300.2 miles on 492.522 gallons).

My highest recorded was 31.1, and that was partly due to how the attendant filled the tank (they blast it in and as soon as the pump shuts off, they are done-i pump slowly and squeeze out more gas 3 times).

Old 06-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Thumbs down

Honestly I don't know why every one keeps bashing the A/T, the MPG difference is negligible when comparing the Sport M/T to the Sport A/T (which has panel shifters and can also shift on command.)

For those that say the its the weight that makes the difference in mileage.

M/T - 2432 Lbs.
A/T - 2514 Lbs.

If you really want to factor wight into this argument, then what about filing up your tank that can easily pass the difference between the M/T and the A/T.

Gas is heavy, full tanks weigh a lot. If you weigh 400 pounds thats going to cut your gas mileage and you probably have no business buying a micro compact that has a load ratting of only 600 Lbs.

For those that are toping off there tanks, there is no way to properly calculate an MPG average with out knowing how much gas you use. Using the same pump and facing the same direction will help you factor out the possible variables.

Driving conditions do matter, if you punch it at every light and on ramp your using more gas. If you live in an area that has a lot of hills and step climbs compared to mostly level land scape that is a factor you must take in to consideration.

Other factors include: Tire pressure, Air filter, drag, wheel size, etc.

The bottom line Don't blame Honda engineers for your short comings, take all factors into consideration before you blame everyone else for the problem you are having.

For the octane curious.
Required Fuel: Regular Unleaded
Do not use race fuels or high octane rating fuels your wasting your money.

and for the record

2008 Sport A/T 29 MPG average.

Quick Reply: 33/38 BS! have tried it all taken a salesman for a ride ! "we cant do anything"