General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

33/38 BS! have tried it all taken a salesman for a ride ! "we cant do anything"

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Funny how people blame a car on their own driving shortcomings. Just more examples of people not wanting to take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
just my 2 cents.
From my experience with my AT, I got around 25-27 avg, with 33 mpg avg on my trips to LA and back.
And since i added the T1R intake, my mpg is now around 30-32 and during my LA jaunts I get around 38-40.
I can't explain it. Prior i did the idle check, double checked tire pressure (btw always 34) and even had the dealer check it out.
But something about that carbon fiber intake that made me so happy once again about having my Fit : )

Old 07-26-2007, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
thems a/t gettin some low truck like figures.. my MT avg 33 so far mostly city.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Unhappy I don't like the Fit at all.

Originally Posted by mikeyfiend
I've had my AT Sport since Feb and I am averaging between 32 and 33 MPG. That pretty much 65/35 mix of city/highway and I don't drive very aggressive, but I'm not babying the car either. I'm happy with my MPG. I guess I was fortunate.
I've had my AT Sport since January. Mileage is just about 28 average for about 5k miles. I figured out why my mileage was so BAD in Jan/Feb/March & part of April. Some IDIOT at Honda has the Fit wired so when you run the defroster it's got the AC on. Any one know where I can find the wire for that and CUT it? I wanted AC for HOT weather ... NOT when there's ICE on the windshield. Stupid Honda Designer!

Old 07-27-2007, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by larstar
I've had my AT Sport since January. Mileage is just about 28 average for about 5k miles. I figured out why my mileage was so BAD in Jan/Feb/March & part of April. Some IDIOT at Honda has the Fit wired so when you run the defroster it's got the AC on. Any one know where I can find the wire for that and CUT it? I wanted AC for HOT weather ... NOT when there's ICE on the windshield. Stupid Honda Designer!
Be prepared to hate a WHOLE bunch of designers, as the A/C kicking on with the defrost is normal (i.e., it's not just the Fit, and it isn't just Honda). The air conditioner does more than just cool the air, it dehumidifies it, which is why it works so well to take the fog from your windshield. It's common in US domestics for the A/C to come on with the defrost, and I believe it was usually a switchable feature in European and Asian cars, so maybe that's why it's a frustrating change for you if you've consistently had cars where it was switchable?

But it isn't a "design flaw" as there is a perfectly good reason for it to act the way it does.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by larstar
Yes somebody has figured out a way to disable this feature (which BTW, I had in my previous Subaru as well as the Fit, though not in my old Nissan?), you can check out the thread HERE(solution on pg. 6). I have performed this mod myself and the downside is that I didn't see any noticeable change in FE after doing it, despite the fact that I had it on defrost almost all the time. I do drive an MT though so you may have better results.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 AM
For a Honda vehicle thats only 1.5L with 109 hp and 2,500 lbs the Fit should put out at least 30 mpg. My other Honda is 2,400 lbs, 195 hp MT and I easily get 26 mpg (mixed), 31-33 on highway and 24 is the least I get with a very heavy foot. Even my previous BMW (auto) averaged 23-24 mpg with AC always on. That was a 3500 lbs monster with 225? hp rolling on stock 17's.

There definately has to be something wrong with the Fit to receive such piss poor gas mileage. One poster mentioned switching out his intake resulting in an increase in mileage. I wonder if there's a defective or loose plug on the intake? I would definately have the vehicle checked out at your nearest Honda dealership. If their unable to locate the problem, I would contact a regional Honda rep and ask if they'll let you exchange your Fit at a fair value (dealerships are notorious for ripping you off on trade ins).

Last edited by leehom; 07-31-2007 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
I think the A/T has a special fuel bypass that if you stomp on the gas pedal, it dumps fuel out on the ground to lose some weight to go faster...

My Jetta VR6 with slushbox is universally known as a gas pig, and the worst I ever got was 18mpg (3000 lbs, 174hp/190tq). I got 20mpg once around town in the Fit, it just doesn't seem right even when using A/C and revving a bit for a 1.5L motor.

Last edited by xorbe; 08-01-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
eyyy ppl its the intake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got a new intake carbon fiber short ram gas milage is 30 mpg from 18 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 AM
Nice...maybe I should get an intake too. Did you purchase a short or cold air? I'm still on my first tank and will need to refuel soon. So far I have 270 miles with maybe a gallon of gas left. My rough estimate is 30 mpg....still not the 32-33 mpg I was expecting

Last edited by leehom; 08-06-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by xxmostwantedxxx
eyyy ppl its the intake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i got a new intake carbon fiber short ram gas milage is 30 mpg from 18 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
can you post some pictures please ?

Old 08-06-2007, 04:30 PM
You know I hate to say it but for brand new cars this seems normal. I drove my versa off the lot and filled up after about 200 miles. After putting some long freeway miles on the car it seems as though the computer relearns your driving style. I know it sounds weird and all, but do your Fit a favor and go on a long cruise with it. Play around with it on a a feeway and see if your mileage doesn't improve. I am not condoning speeding but after I got my V up to 115 my mpg has been where it is supposed to be ever since.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
yeah ill try to get some pictures posted just need to get a new cam ;]

sryy for the lagg

Old 08-31-2007, 05:24 AM
wow...

aftermarket intake change gas mileage by 67%.

you've gotta be kidding me or bunch of guys bukkake several hundred loads inside your intake and let it dry in there.

Last edited by aywwsd; 08-31-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 AM
The A/T's are not the only ones with this problem. I have the same problem in my M/T, and isn't because "I can't drive stick". I looked in the owner’s manual and I'm shifting at the suggested speeds: 15,27,39, and 53. My dad also mentioned the "break in period" with the car but 200 miles to a tank from a 1.5L is just ridiculous, I got better mpg in my 3.6L V6 Grand Am.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:17 AM
C_O
Ditto

here's a noob question, beffore it got stupid hot in SoCal i was reaching a little over 30mpg, but since the temps jumped to 103º-108º i've been experiencing a drastic drop in efficiency; last full tank (topped off) only gave me 210miles before the gas light came on.

i own a 2007 Fit Sport MT, i drive about 65% city, a/c on just on the freeway (always on the lowest setting), i drive very conservitively shifting at 2.5k-3k rpm, and no cargo except the 5'10, 155lb filipino guy driving

it seems that once people changed their intakes they've experienced an improvement in efficiency. any suggestions on a budget short-ram? i bought the fit for it's awsomeness, utility and because of it's mpg; as of now, i'm only a third happy with my investment.

C_O

Old 10-15-2007, 04:44 PM
I now have about 40K on my 07 AT. I can not lie - I drive it abusively. Regular sprints up to / over 90mph and constant speeds of at least 80mph...
AND I STILL GET 30mpg, with mobil one and a clean filter. Something's wrong if your granny driving and getting less!

Old 10-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aywwsd
wow...

aftermarket intake change gas mileage by 67%.
Yeah that is pretty drastic, I think there has to be more to this story than changing the intake. I wonder if your old filter/intake was choking your car through some sort of defect?

Also to those who commented about the "break in".... I am not really understanding how the initial "break in" is screwing with your mileage? My car has gotten great average mileage from the very first day I drove it off the lot. I easily get around 36mpg in the city and and 42ish on the highway.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:53 PM
My worst tank got 33 mpg, and the best gave me 44 mpg. US

I can't imagine what you guys are doing.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
i have never gotten over 30 mpg even with the most conservative driving, im talking 2500 rpm and no stop and go traffic, i think ive gotten 27 mpg as the best...i talked to honda and better business bureau, and i got some sh***y responses, they basically dont care, one thing about california honda dealerships is that they really dont like to take any responsibility...i highly do not recommend Norm Reeves and Hollywood Honda...stay away from their service at all cost, and as well buying from them, i had some rattling under the hood, and they said it was normal...afterwards i had someone else look at it and he found the problem easily, it was a loose bracket screw underneath the spoiler that was rattling...Norm Reeves and Hollywood Honda mechanics are lazy and complete morons, i would never get service from there

Quick Reply: 33/38 BS! have tried it all taken a salesman for a ride ! "we cant do anything"