General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Gas Economy dropped to below 15mpg..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
I keep hoping/praying that CuTeBoi posts an update that says "It's all figured out! Nobody needs to panic!" but that hasn't happened yet. I don't even have my Fit yet, and lately all I seem to see are posts talking about horrible gas mileage and paint flying off the car. Yeesh.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:27 PM
this is why you should change your own oil...for the cost of jiffy lube/car x doing a regular blend, you could do a full synthetic, better filter, and be done in 10 mins...its SOOO easy to change its ridiculous...and you'll know its done right...

Old 07-13-2007, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Whitehybrid
...and you'll know its done right...
thats a big plus right there

Old 07-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Whitehybrid
this is why you should change your own oil...for the cost of jiffy lube/car x doing a regular blend, you could do a full synthetic, better filter, and be done in 10 mins...its SOOO easy to change its ridiculous...and you'll know its done right...
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:32 PM
If your anybody that knows anything about cars, you'd know to stay away from any quick change oil establishments...90% of them are junk, use junk oil and filters, and will not tell you if a mistake has been made...whether its losing your plug, stripping your plug, or installing the wrong oil blend or filter...Jiffy lube is notrious for this and has recently been in trouble for how they treat their customers...

Be smart people, go to honda, get an OEM filter (or order a nice filter online), then go to an advance auto, or oreily's, (or whatever you have out there) and get your own oil...if you want your car to last as long as you do, you'll take care of it the way you take care of yourself...

Old 07-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Banned
But it's the Homer Simpsons of the world who keep Jiffy Lube, et al, in business. "Mmmmm, DOOUUGGHHNNUUTTS!"

Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
I have yet to empty my third tank of gas.

So far:

198miles. First tank City mixed.
210miles Second tank, most highway, some street to get to and from highway.

working on third one, halfway through it, and have 98 miles on it. mostly highway, and it's been going to the paintball fight i had in Pittsburg... that was fun and painful

It got better since i went to the jiffy lube, and this time i watched them the whole time from the front of the garage area, where the feet marks are.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
I have yet to empty my third tank of gas.

So far:

198miles. First tank City mixed.
210miles Second tank, most highway, some street to get to and from highway.

working on third one, halfway through it, and have 98 miles on it. mostly highway, and it's been going to the paintball fight i had in Pittsburg... that was fun and painful

It got better since i went to the jiffy lube, and this time i watched them the whole time from the front of the garage area, where the feet marks are.

how long are you going to drive it without assessing the obvious problem? i would never drive my car that many miles when something is wrong...

and if you didn't learn the first time i said if, CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL...did jiffy lube completely flush your system before putting new oil in? my guess is no, so you are still running some of what they put in before, which supposedly caused the problem...if i got bit by a dog, i wouldn't go pet it again...

if i were you, i'd take my car to the dealer tomorrow and explain the situation and have them look over it...

Old 07-16-2007, 10:17 PM
read his previous post. he was told to get 3 fillups on paper and honda will assess the problem.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by arsonall
read his previous post. he was told to get 3 fillups on paper and honda will assess the problem.
didn't bother reading before all the coasting thread jacking...

[Coasting posts moved to their own thread --mod]

Last edited by kps; 08-18-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Link to sub-thread
Old 08-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Any updates on this? The lack of responses by the OP makes me think the issue is resolved maybe?

Old 08-06-2007, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
I havent had the chance to go to the dealership since that post. I've got the 3 numbers down.

178 highway miles,

215 highway miles,

98 city miles,

I have the numbers, but I have to lose my car for a day to get the dealership to check the ECU and maybe reflash it.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:16 AM
i actually have the same problem, sort of.

I got my car with a full tank of gas and i had to refill at 140 miles. Now i'm on my 2nd tank of gas, currently half way already and i'm only at 210 miles.

My mpg is extremely low right now but i hardly drive that much so im waiting on a couple more tanks before i think something is wrong.....

did anyone else experience this?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
I'm scheduled to go in Wednesday morning at 7:30 (this morning) and I'll most likely get my ECU reflashed, cause I alerted them to a gear shift changing.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Wednesday morning I dropped off my Fit, they couldn't find any problems, but they found a PCM update that I didn't have when I got my Fit in May 2007. So far I feel like my RPMs are a little lower than they used to be, I drive at 70mph, a little over 2,500RPM instead of 3,000RPM from what I remember before.

I'll be taking notes and seeing if the PCM update did anything to the gas usage

Old 08-10-2007, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
Wednesday morning I dropped off my Fit, they couldn't find any problems, but they found a PCM update that I didn't have when I got my Fit in May 2007. So far I feel like my RPMs are a little lower than they used to be, I drive at 70mph, a little over 2,500RPM instead of 3,000RPM from what I remember before.

I'll be taking notes and seeing if the PCM update did anything to the gas usage
dat should make some difference,,,

Old 08-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned
Tony-
I wish that they had found some major, fixable reason for your terrible gas mileage, but if your rpms have dropped noticeably at your normal cruising speed, that WILL improve your mpg. But how much--?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be finding out.

Also, my trunk is almost done =D

Waiting to pick out new amplifiers to embed into the lid.

In the meantime, i'm just taking notes on the numbers, they are better, but not by much. I want to video tape my driving during the day, I drive over the limit, but for good reasons I want to have proof of mileage.

-Anthony

Old 08-16-2007, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here about getting low mileage. Maybe there's a leak in your gas tank or....someone is stealing fuel from you. Do you have a locking gas cap?

Old 08-17-2007, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
I park at home, I run errands, I don't leave my car.... and if I do, it's someplace I can see it... (park in front of cell phone shops, and I see people looking at it, I end up talking to them).

I keep the car in my sight (except for the one night I forgot to park the car in the garage, and got keyed... AGH!)

but yeah, overall, that's not likely.,

Quick Reply: Gas Economy dropped to below 15mpg..