General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

A few FIT questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by RedAndy
If you like manuals, the one on the Fit is great. Very slick shifting, quite a bit more zip than the AT (even when using the paddles), better gas milage, and of course, cheaper. If you like to shift and think you'd be using the paddle shifters on the AT a lot, I say just go for the MT. Of course, if you want shifting to be an optional thing, you'll need to stick with AT......
Agreed! I've owned a lot of cars and I've never purchased a crapomatic.
Manual's cost less to buy, cost less to maintain, perform better, are more fun (opinion), and get better MPG (usually). The fit's shifter is excellent... better than cars with twice the $. The throw is a bit long, but it's very precise and not "rubbery" as FWD's tend to be. The clutch is nice and light too. I live in Atlanta, so trafic is unavoidable and I never find shifting to be a problem... I can even do it with a drink in one hand

Old 06-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Retired Moderator
Ill have to test drive a manual Fit, ill probaly like it a ton. I just think paddle shifters are awesome but if i cant afford an AT the Fit is still a badass ride.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by sortanewinatl
The throw is a bit long, but it's very precise and not "rubbery" as FWD's tend to be.
IMO, the throw only seems long because the shifter is so precise, and the ratios are close - you want to shift more and faster.... I'd say the actual throw is about the same as most other non-sports cars - very similar to that in a Civic, for example. Still, I wish it had the throw of an S2000 .

I partially solved the problem by putting in a Voodoo shift knob, which sits about 1 1/2 inches lower than the stock knob. This makes the arc of the throw is much less and reduces the shifting distance even though the angle you're throwing hasn't changed - looks cool too.....

Old 06-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Im test driving a manual Fit Sport this weekend! Hope the numbers are right and if they are ill have a Fit by Monday!

Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Have never driven a manual before; have no problem taking off in the Fit or shifting it. It rocks. I LOVE my manual hehehe

Old 06-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah i drive

Last edited by TOOL; 04-19-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by sortanewinatl
Agreed! I've owned a lot of cars and I've never purchased a crapomatic.
Manual's cost less to buy, cost less to maintain, perform better, are more fun (opinion), and get better MPG (usually). The fit's shifter is excellent... better than cars with twice the $. The throw is a bit long, but it's very precise and not "rubbery" as FWD's tend to be. The clutch is nice and light too. I live in Atlanta, so trafic is unavoidable and I never find shifting to be a problem... I can even do it with a drink in one hand
Glad to hear this! I test drove a AT Sport, but never got a chance to drive the MT in either Fit model. I took a leap of faith and put down a deposit on a Sport MT. I hope to be driving it within the next week.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Bluemoon
Glad to hear this! I test drove a AT Sport, but never got a chance to drive the MT in either Fit model. I took a leap of faith and put down a deposit on a Sport MT. I hope to be driving it within the next week.
I didn't either until after I put my deposit down. I drove an AT, put a deposit down on an MT, then a month or so later (I waited 5 months total ), I got to drive an MT. This confirmed for me that the extra wait would be worth it.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have the links, but there *are* people on these forums who have gotten below retail prices--some significantly so. I wouldn't count on getting any deals, by any means, but I know you can get MSRP in NorCal without too much difficulty. (For example, not sure where you are in NorCal, but I've heard San Leandro's internet dept. is very good for this--look in the local and dealer review forums.)

As for what is meant by MSRP, what I mean the retail price quoted the website plus the "destination charge." People's individual quotes will vary depending on where they live. You can find the MSRP for your area on the fit website. I think all of NorCal has a destination charge of $595, making the Sport AT $16,565, and the MT $15,765. License is about $170, taxes about $1300.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah im in the Bay Area aswell, ill check out San Leandro. I was also looking used all over the state of cali and found some really good deals in SoCal. I cant test drive cars till im 18 and im 16 so i have to have my friend drive it for me, thats the only thing thats stopping me from buying one.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Anyone know of any dealers in the Southeast (Georgia, Tenessee, Birmingham/Huntsville, AL areas) that have any Sport models with the MT?! I have one on order from and Atlanta area dealer, but there's no telling when it might come in! I can't find a sport with the MT anywhere for a test drive!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TOOL
Yeah im in the Bay Area aswell, ill check out San Leandro. I was also looking used all over the state of cali and found some really good deals in SoCal. I cant test drive cars till im 18 and im 16 so i have to have my friend drive it for me, thats the only thing thats stopping me from buying one.
Back in April when I was looking, Andersen Honda in Palo Alto had a black used Fit. Can't remember if it was base or sport, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's sold by now....

Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Retired Moderator
Yeah im sure it sold, i went to Concord Honda on sunday to look at a Silver Sport manual Fit and by the time i got there it was in the process of being sold . Fits are flying off lots around here like no other.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:15 PM
I am in Canada and bought my Fit last week. There was only one on the lot to test drive, a black AT. They even let me take it home for a few hours to show my husband and family. (I live about 15km away)
I saw the orange and blue in the back lot SOLD. I put my offer in for a FIJI blue (what they call it here) sport AT. I wrote as part of my offer that they would have to have it ready to drive off the lot in 10 DAYS or the deal was off.
It worked! They had to work harder and negotiate with other dealers. The first two that came up in the search (closest) wouldn't give them up! They found another in Toronto and had it driven to Hamiton. Then they prepped it and had it ready the next day!
I picked it up during one of the worst thunderstorms we have seen in some time!!!
These are hot items. I don't see many around and they can't keep them on the lot.
I got the all season mats thrown in and the $1000 rebate from Honda to match the $1000 the Canadian government is offering to buy fuel efficient cars. The Yaris made the list but the FiT was just a bit too heavy.
So Honda said they would give the $1000. The base price on the sport FiT was 20,000 (that would be Canadian funds of course)
He knocked a bit more off the price but once the $1000 was gone, there was no room to negotiate (Honda Canada pays $750 and the dealer pays $250)
I am thrilled with my FiT - just had it tinted and half of the clearshield done (awaiting the proper pattern for the sport bumper this week)

Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
Smile Fit in Maryland

We just got our SSM 5MT Fit Sport last week (June 13). We waited almost 30 days for it to be built and shipped to us. As far as the price, exactly waht Honda suggested. $15,170 + $592 delivery + tax & license.

I went to Honda's website and found the dealer (Ourisman Honda in Bethesda MD) and asked for a quote. They gave me a good number and said they could order it for me.

So the wife & I went down on May 14 and was lucky enough to test drive both an AT fit Sport & a MT Fit Sport. We could have bought the MT that day as the salesman said it was one they had ordered in speically. The dealer had added door guards and a couple of other things to it (to make a little more profit). We kinda thought about it, but we really wanted the Storm Silver Metallic instead of the red car. (The MT car had 4 miles on it!)

Jump ahead to last week, while we were getting ready to do the final paperwork on the car, the wife overheard some salesmen talking. One said, "I hope they don't want it, I can sell it in an hour."

Our salesman told us that they can't keep Fits in and pretty much all of their Fit inventory is pre-sold. So yeah, they are really popular. He also said the wait on a black one would be September!

Now, my Fit, do I love it? OH YEAH!!!! It looks very cool in the Silver with the body kit & rims. I love the fact that I can stick it in 5th gear and craw my way to work at 15 to 30 mph (I live in the Washington DC metro area and have to slog back and forth to work 30 miles each day.) On our first fillup we got 37.3 mpg.

Like the ads say (if you can ever see one ) The FIT IS GO!!!
Thanks for reading

The pickup d

Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Retired Moderator
I dont understand how people are getting them at MSRP? When i go look for a Fit they are always marked up to like 18k for a Auto and 17k for a Manual? If i Find a Sport manual at MSRP i would buy it right away. I guess i got to keep searchin.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Tool,

Let me say this first: Whether an MT or an AT, this car is fun to drive.

Your gas mileage is WAY more dependent on how you drive than it is on which transmission you get. You can get better mileage in the city with an MT if you stay in the highest gear possible, but that isn't nearly as much fun as keeping it in lower gears for a bit longer. The only reason a manual transmission gets better mileage in town is because the revs can be kept lower by being in a higher gear. There are real advantages to both transmissions, you just have to decide which one is right for you. The automatic gets better mileage at higher speeds, such as extended interstate driving, due to the taller gearing. At the same time, it is a lot slower off the line. Ask yourself where most of your driving will be done. Ask yourself what is more important to you: ease of operation, economy, the fun factor, et cetera, and then get the one you want. Only your needs and opinions matter in this decision.

Be sure you get the one you want in the color and configuration you want, not just the quickest one you can locate. Remember, you will be paying for it long after the new wears off.

Best of luck with your purchase!

Joe

Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
<snip>Be sure you get the one you want in the color and configuration you want, not just the quickest one you can locate. Remember, you will be paying for it long after the new wears off.
Very good advice, but it's hard to keep telling myself that as I wait on mine to be delivered!

Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Tool,

There are real advantages to both transmissions, you just have to decide which one is right for you. The automatic gets better mileage at higher speeds, such as extended interstate driving, due to the taller gearing. At the same time, it is a lot slower off the line.
Joe
This is true. One thing - according the CR's real world testing (I think the issue was 12/06) the city/highway mpg range was considerably wider in the AT than the MT; it got worse in the city/better on the freeway than the MT. If I remember right, their numbers were 26/41 for the AT and 28/39 for the MT, but I may be off one or 2 here....

Based on this, I'm guessing that the AT is perhaps even more sensitive to driving style than the AT. The MPG polls reflect this too - the curve is much flatter/wide range of MPGS with the AT vs. the MT. As SteelDog says, both transmissions are very good - you just need to pick what works best for you.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Car and Driver has some interesting writing on manual vs Auto transmission. In general they always go for a manual for small engine cars. Better 0-60 better gas. They praised honda's auto trans for being above other small cars automatic transmission.

I got msrp in NJ. A week or two order wait. They wanted me to buy etched glass at $250 but i did not. In Minneapolis, a friend said the dealer told him they had no FIT cars on the lot and it would be a 6 month wait.

Quick Reply: A few FIT questions.