General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Is this normal?

I searched everywhere for this problem before posting about it, and I couldn't find it, so if it's a repost then please forgive me!

I bought my SSM Sport on May 23rd, so I've just had it for two weeks. Already I've seen some paint chips on the hood and bumper, despite waxing, etc. It sucks but I was prepared for that.

The problem is, some of the chips aren't really "chips": it's like something hit the bumper and the paint was soft, so instead of just chipping off, the paint broke and wrinkled up. Has anyone noticed anything like this on their cars? To me it doesn't seem normal, but I can't be sure.

To add to my frustration a huge rock hit my hood at full speed yesterday--dinging my hood right in the middle and leaving one of those wrinkles along with a few other chips. I'm pretty mad about it right now and want to get it fixed--do you think it's worth the cost to get a small ding out already? There will probably be more so my boyfriend thinks it's a waste, I can't stand to look at it though...it's my first new car! It should be perfect! (Slightly anal...I know.)

I'd really appreciate any feedback you other Fit owners can give.

Thank you!

Old 06-07-2007, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Forget repainting and just get a whole new carbon fiber hood

Old 06-07-2007, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
My boyfriend said the same thing...haha. I don't have money for a CF hood and I don't really think that's my style....I'm more plain I guess.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
i think there's a problem with the headlight or bumper being too tight. the dealer will take car of it i think. I've heard of this happenign to other fits.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Just to clarify a bit...it isn't in the crease where the bumper meets the fender. It's like someone touched it and the paint wrinkled on the front in a few places.

Last edited by stefspets; 06-07-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
This may be stoopit, but

It isn't just the normal "waves" in the paint job, right? It's actually stretched or distorted? Cuz mine doesn't have that at all, I have only the surface irregularities of a semi-cheap car with a "pearl" paint job.

If it's like you describe it, maybe it is time to take it to a paint guy and arm yourself with his expert opinion, and then go to the dealer with it.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
It seems that there are some issues with the paint job on the Fit. Even knowing this I was still all out to get one. I've had my car for going on four weeks and have not noticed any problems with the paint. Ok, I am intense also - go out and take off bird boop by wetting, little soap and lots of clean water to remove totally. I do not drive on the interstate but on a two lane highway which cuts down on the rocks pitching back on the car. However, I think this issue needs to be addressed by Honda and made right. Otherwise CF hood is looking like a real possibility!

Cat :X

Old 06-07-2007, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going with the full nose mask,,,me hates rock chips

Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
The paint is normally soft. When I was putting a sticker on my rear bumper the wind helped me out by putting it on a little too much of an angle.

When I tired to peal off the sticker my nail left pits in the paint. I sat there in awe for a good 5min wondering how that happened.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
The paint is normally soft. When I was putting a sticker on my rear bumper the wind helped me out by putting it on a little too much of an angle.

When I tired to peal off the sticker my nail left pits in the paint. I sat there in awe for a good 5min wondering how that happened.
nails of steel man,haha