General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

anyone had this problem? bottoming out

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:23 PM
anyone had this problem? bottoming out

I've had my fit for about 4 months. Anytime an adult sits in the back seat the back end scrubs. Taking it back to the dealership Monday. Anyone had this problem yet?

Old 06-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
No, I've had two adults in the back seats. One over 6 foot tall and both weighing between 150 and 170 lbs with no problems. In fact they were impressed with the nice ride they had in the back seats and plenty of leg room.

Let us know what the dealership tells you.

Cat : X

Old 06-02-2007, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe it's the shipping blocks? I don't know about Honda but when I bought my Audi a while back the dealership did a piss-poor job on the PDI and forgot to remove the shipping blocks from the struts.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
I've had five people in my Fit, nothing. Also have had a chest freezer and desk, and several hundred pounds of computer equipment on several occasions and never bottomed out. So my guess is you've got a prob.

Let us know what the dealer says/finds!

Digi

Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 PM
ya...i've never bottomed out either...had 3 people in the back before...

Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by K LoLo
ya...i've never bottomed out either...had 3 people in the back before...

Same here.

Go to the dealer!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Sort of on the same note, whenever I back my Fit Sport out of my driveway, something under the front end scrapes the concrete. Doesn't matter if I go slower -- just makes the scraping last a little longer Is this hurting anything?

Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Watch out

Originally Posted by jrstinkfish
Sort of on the same note, whenever I back my Fit Sport out of my driveway, something under the front end scrapes the concrete. Doesn't matter if I go slower -- just makes the scraping last a little longer Is this hurting anything?
Take a good look under there, and see where the scrape marks on your bumper are. If they are just on the black plastic feeler, just continue to be gentle and don't worry about it. If they are on the paint, you will need to move to another place! Just kidding. Have you tried turning the wheels a bit as you start out of the driveway? That used to help at one of my former addresses where the driveway was like that.

If this does not help, look into modifying that part of your driveway. A couple bags of concrete mix and a little ingenuity might get you fixed right up.

Good luck. I understand how distressing that is.

Joe

Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I checked earlier, and it is indeed scraping the underside of the bumper I've tried pretty much every maneuver to keep it from happening. I guess another option is backing into the driveway, which seems to help. Or fixing the slope as you suggested.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Hi, no I haven't had that problem yet, hope I don't

Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
I have to angle the Fit Sport on any steep grade or it will bottom out at the front bumper.

Yes, this is a sickening sound.

Especially if you have a heavy person in the front passenger seat, the problem becomes worse.

I now just concentrate on looking for steep angles or the Fit WILL bottom out every time. This is the most annoying thing about the Fit Sport in my book. I suppose it helps the handling and it looks cool. All vehicles have their trade offs. Ferrari's bottom out all the time too.

I know some of you have lowered the Fit Sport even more than standard. I think the Fit Sport is already very low. I can't believe you guys don't bottom out all the time?

A girl friend already commented on how low the Fit Sport was.

I think I read in the Fit manuel that Honda tells you to watch out for steep grades or you will bottom out. Don't say they did not warn you.

Tom.

Last edited by Darkride; 01-21-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: correction of grammer.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jrstinkfish
I checked earlier, and it is indeed scraping the underside of the bumper I've tried pretty much every maneuver to keep it from happening. I guess another option is backing into the driveway, which seems to help. Or fixing the slope as you suggested.
i would figure if you backed it in, the front bumper would now scrape on the street?!

Old 01-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
if you're scraping the car's body on the ground, try to go up/down the slopes at an angle so that you're going one wheel at a time. if that doesn't work then you have to change the slope or go another route.

if you're bottoming out your suspension when you have just one passenger in the back (who is not obese to epic proportions), you're either driving too hard on the dips and should slow down, or something is wrong with the suspension.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by 07hatched
I've had my fit for about 4 months. Anytime an adult sits in the back seat the back end scrubs. Taking it back to the dealership Monday. Anyone had this problem yet?
Look in your manual, and it will tell you how much weight you can load in to your car. Figure out how much everyone and their stuff weighs, and if it's above the limit, there's nothing wrong with the car.

Do that first and foremost, because it'll tell you if you're overloading the car, or if your springs are sagging.

Also, did you ever carry any huge loads in the back, or leave heavy stuff in there overnight? That can also cause spring sag.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gar1013
Look in your manual, and it will tell you how much weight you can load in to your car. Figure out how much everyone and their stuff weighs, and if it's above the limit, there's nothing wrong with the car.

Do that first and foremost, because it'll tell you if you're overloading the car, or if your springs are sagging.

Also, did you ever carry any huge loads in the back, or leave heavy stuff in there overnight? That can also cause spring sag.
Is there any way to fix spring sag besides replace the springs? I left a lot of stuff in the back of my car a few times overnight, and now the back end of my car sits much lower than the front.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
even when im lowered on tein s-techs with (2) 250lb guys in the back. i didnt even bottom out. you should bring that back to warranted. our cars are suppose to be able to hold a certain amount.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
The manual states the maximum load for all occupants, cargo, and accessories for the Fit as 850 lbs.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I'm lowered and have a 12 inch sub in the back, and have had 6 people in the car and it didn't bottom out.