General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Modifications--does anything really increase MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 04:21 PM
The intake is pretty helpfull makes the engine run smoother ,better mpg

Old 07-13-2007, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxmostwantedxxx
The intake is pretty helpfull makes the engine run smoother ,better mpg
Which intake? How much better MPG?
Thanks!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I've read in a few sites that adding 2oz of 100% acetone to every 10 gallons of gas can really increase your mpg. I have not tried it as I'm not sure how acetone would react with fuel lines, and engine parts. I also don't want to use my new car as a test case.

Here is a link to one site. Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Old 08-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by dshafie
I've read in a few sites that adding 2oz of 100% acetone to every 10 gallons of gas can really increase your mpg. I have not tried it as I'm not sure how acetone would react with fuel lines, and engine parts. I also don't want to use my new car as a test case.

Here is a link to one site. Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage
Acetone isn't cheap either- you can check the price at you local Ace Hardware store. It may be more volatile than gasoline, but I doubt it. And your concerns about just throwing in some chemical just because it is mentioned in internet posts are good concerns. I don't know what its effect would be on fuel line plastics and polymer materials either.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Wikipedia has a blurb about adding it to fuel:

Acetone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even if acetone contained twice the energy of gas, no way would one be able to measure the mpg increase.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:05 AM
LOL! 2 things come into mind RE: adding acetone into gasoline: (1) acetone, as a strong solvent, does not come with anymore calorific content than gasoline blend itself (sans-additives) oz by oz comparison; (2) with dynamic fuel mapping on Honda fit ECU management control, what makes you think that the computer isn't gonna compensate such difference (after adding 2oz of acetone into full tank of gas) thus making it running/feeling like normal again?

Truth to be told: adding acetone into gas mix is such an old school backyard non-scientific backyard self-proclaimed propagandist/scientist/mechanic trick that has been around since the days of yore: with no factual evidence to back things up at all. Just like adding benzene or naphtha gas or even moth balls back into your gas tank trick, truth is, would you dare ruining an otherwise proven(safe), reliable EFI/ECU management systems as a well as all kinds of elastomeric seals and fuel pump seals,etc. just because you assume that adding stong solvents such as acetone is going to give you da goods?

Come on and be real now! If acetone is sooo good, I bet ya all major manufacturers whose desperate in boosting their CAFE ratings would jump right into the bandwagon and so does EPA (and why didn't I hear anything from EPA yet?)

'Internet discussion boards act as echo chambers for conspiracy dittoheads' - Arthur Allen

Old 08-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Air-Tabs update

Ok, sorry to be going way back in the post, but I just got the mileage results from adding Airtabs. I took at 2270 mile trip; VA to PA to MI then back in the same manner. About 90% of the trip was highway miles which is where the Airtabs claim to be the most beneficial. Turn out they reduced my highway average by 4-6 MPG. I ended up with a 41.3 MPG average on that trip, I make the same trip every couple of months and the only difference was the Airtabs... I usually get 45-47 MPG average.

I guess they only work on big trucks with enough surface area to apply the tabs to and enough momentum to overcome the increase drag.

Whatever the reason, I got worse mileage and those things are coming off.

Other points of interest... they did increase high speed stability, however they make a "wow wow wow" sound above 30 miles per hour and it gets very loud at 70 miles per hour. The only thing that noise is good for is keeping you awake when driving for 10 hours strait.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Good on you

Originally Posted by TrickyPantz
Ok, sorry to be going way back in the post, but I just got the mileage results from adding Airtabs. I took at 2270 mile trip; VA to PA to MI then back in the same manner. About 90% of the trip was highway miles which is where the Airtabs claim to be the most beneficial. Turn out they reduced my highway average by 4-6 MPG. I ended up with a 41.3 MPG average on that trip, I make the same trip every couple of months and the only difference was the Airtabs... I usually get 45-47 MPG average.

I guess they only work on big trucks with enough surface area to apply the tabs to and enough momentum to overcome the increase drag.

Other points of interest... they did increase high speed stability, however they make a "wow wow wow" sound above 30 miles per hour and it gets very loud at 70 miles per hour. The only thing that noise is good for is keeping you awake when driving for 10 hours strait.
TrickyPantz,
Thank-you for taking the chance on the air tabs, installing them, fixing them up, and reporting honestly on the outcome. Not everyone has the guts to do so. Good on you, you have got the heat.
gods

Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
TrickyPantz,

Yeah I want to say thanks too for being the guinea pig on this one. Those air tabs don't come cheap. I say get some light weight wheels next!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear that, I know a lot of people were watching that air-tab test closely.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me I get much better miliage with larger dia tires at high speeds. I have a theory that because my engine is at a lower rev to maintain a high speed it is like having a taller overdrive gear. If this is true people that do a lot of highway driving might want to anti-up to a higher profile tire. Mostly thinking out loud here, anyone want to verify or disprove my theory?

Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Sounds Plausible to me. The only problem I see with getting bigger tires is that the odometer would be off by a little bit (about 7 feet per mile for every 1 inch of tire size increase) If there is an easy way to tell the car that my tires are now 16s instead of 15s for instance, please let me know because I will get bigger tires and try that out. I just don't want my odometer to be way off after 100k miles.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I had to use a couple of different methods to verify my actual speed & distance because of that problem. Then again I don't think a speedo calibration is a big deal to get done.

I am still trying to figure out a final set of tires for my car, I just found out my tires are actually larger than a 215/40R17 both in width and overall diameter (however they are stamped 205/40R17). Stupid Lexani and their retarded acceptable tolerances . So when I lowered my car down recently I got a case of the rubs.

I will tell you with the bigger dia tires I was getting well over 42mpg (up to 44mpg) on the highway. I am not a passive driver either, I drop down to 4th gear to pass like crazy and even to 3rd on some major hills to maintain speed. I verified my distance using a calculation against the odometer (which was confirmed correct at the odometer test marks on the highway), electronic maps and also by another vehical traveling with me.

Anyway, on the highway is great, but in town my average is less than impressive. From what I have observed I would say if you do tons of highway traveling it might be worth it to go with a slightly larger profile tire. lol, I wonder if going to even smaller tires in town would yeild better city miliage?

Old 08-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Hey that'd be great if smaller tires worked better in town... if only there was a way to have both.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
haha, like expanding tires or something

haha, that reminds me... I had to run low-profile 35 series rubber on my 18's (they came with the rims) for my jeep for a couple days while I was waiting for my Yoko Geolanders to come in . Man I was spinning the tires like crazy!! I even have a picture of it, was so goofy!!
lol, definetly did not get metter gas miliage!!

And yes, I was ashamed I am sharing these only for your entertainment!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:00 PM
wow, more like no-profile.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:52 PM
airtabs

they have like a 1/2 inch space between them and the car right at the back. The info packet that came with them says that isn't a problem
Well, given the noise they made on your car, I'd say the info must be wrong about that. I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to sound like that, they certainly don't on my car. The change in air noise was very subtle, I thought it was probably my imagination until I took them off and put them on again a few times. They do work on small cars at least some of the time, according to the guy who sold them, they did a wind tunnel test on a Civic hatchback with very impressive results. No idea why they don't put whatever data came from that on their website.

Just got back from another road trip. Fuel consumption with the airtabs is now about 39mpg after 4851km. A bit better than before, though not by as much as I'd hoped. New intake and wheels soon as I get the money, maybe then I can get >40mpg. Or maybe that takes extreme measures like obeying the speed limit or something.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I might be wrong, but it seems to me I get much better miliage with larger dia tires at high speeds. I have a theory that because my engine is at a lower rev to maintain a high speed it is like having a taller overdrive gear.
I read somewhere that it's inadvisable to change the tire diameter by more than about 1.5%, since it might confuse the ABS or something. Staying within that, at highway speed you'd might reduce engine speed by 50 rpm or so. My guess is it could make a noticeable difference only if you're normally cruising just above the speed where VTEC engages, with the smaller tires.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
That is interesting, how does the ABS work on this car?

Not entirly sure why I get better miliage on the highway with these tires, I am just speculating at this point. Just pointing out that I consistantly get over 42mpg and I don't deserve it with the way I drive!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
my intake decreased my mpg. I am selling it now. For a good price

Old 09-13-2008, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
ignore 99% of what was said in this thread and go to cleanmpg.com or ecomodder.com to learn instead

Last edited by BlackUp; 09-13-2008 at 11:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Modifications--does anything really increase MPG?