General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Modifications--does anything really increase MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
you can always lose weight, and free up some unsprung weight and increase MPG

Old 07-05-2007, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
hydrogen?

Has anyone tried a hydrogen injection system?

Old 07-06-2007, 09:37 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
According to Fuel saving - a professional engineer's view (a really good scam-busting site) hydrogen injection would help if the engine were designed around it. So scam artists take real information about possible future engine designs and use that as their 'hook'. Adding hydrogen injection to an existing engine is a bit like filling your gas tank with diesel on the grounds that diesel engines are more efficient.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Now where did I put that bucket of Hydrogen?
(Checks pockets...)

Old 07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
hydrogen generator

Actually, generating the hydrogen is not that difficult. The hydrogen generators use excess current from your alternator to hydrolyze water. The released hydrogen is piped into your air intake. The hydrogen supposedly increases the efficiency of the combustion process thereby giving you better economy.

I was curious if anyone had tried one of the available devices. There are a lot of curious people that have built their own -- I'm not one of them. Many ideas but too little free time.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by dave brown
The hydrogen generators use excess current from your alternator
Ah, yes, that excess current that would otherwise just be going to waste! We could use it to power all kinds of things for free! First, try running gasoline with a higher octane rating. If that doesn't dramatically improve your fuel economy, neither will injecting hydrogen.

I'm going to try driving efficiently for a bit, to make up for last weekend.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sfenders
First, try running gasoline with a higher octane rating. If that doesn't dramatically improve your fuel economy, neither will injecting hydrogen.
Definitely a scam, but you got the details wrong... H contains more energy... higher octane gas contains less energy. That device doesn't make H fast enough to do squat, was my suspicion.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by xorbe
higher octane gas contains less energy.
According to a quick web search, hydrogen has an octane rating of 130. And one supposed benefit is a higher possible compression ratio.

But after looking closely at that web page, I think at least we can all agree that one is a scam. I've got more hard data to support my theory that cheeseburgers are great health food than they have for that thing.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
My wife and I were thinking of a way to scavenge fuel from the fuel hogs that do not even burn all their fuel (such as most SUVs).

If only the Fit had a way to suck the fuel vapors out of the air,... Perhaps collect them from the radiator area of our cars. Plus - I would be less inclined to pass those horrible Hummer H2/H3s, and more likely to tail gate them to scavenge their fuel... That would increase fuel economy.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
i dunno why people ignored my idea, its something everybody can do and its good for them and the car

Old 07-08-2007, 03:02 PM
yep.... basically only 3 things will make any difference, without major re-engineering (changing shape, gearing, etc)
accelerate slower. cruise slower. lose weight (either your self or your car)

Although hydrogen is easy to generate (seperate), there is NO "excess" current from your alternator. it produces what the car's elec system is using and not 1 miliamp more. If you add an electrolysis plant to generate hydorgen, that increses the demand (and output) on the alternator... which is passed on the engine. it offsets anything you gain from burning the hydrogen... and since nothing is 100% efficient... it's a net loss.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
i dunno why people ignored my idea, its something everybody can do and its good for them and the car
lol, I am going to get myself some carbon Fibre shoes!

Old 07-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
lol, I am going to get myself some carbon Fibre shoes!
that would be so awesome dude

Old 07-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
So this week I finally got my K&N replacement filter and 18 Airtabs. I can REALLY feel a difference.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Those are nice, but check out these...
http://www.rennworx.com/gal-dymag/index.htm
I especially like the red split 5-spokes. Too bad a set costs almost as much as my whole car

Old 07-12-2007, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
Is it just coincidence that the airtab advocates are new members? Anybody seeing this on other forums? Is this the new marketing technique? Forgive me but this airtab thing seems so scamspam-ish.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by cheffyjay
Is it just coincidence that the airtab advocates are new members? Anybody seeing this on other forums? Is this the new marketing technique? Forgive me but this airtab thing seems so scamspam-ish.
That thought has been in the back of my mind too, but I am still interested to see what other information develops in further posts. I think that the appearance of these things is ugly, but I could get used to it if there is solid proof that they work well enough to even pay their own cost off with mpg savings.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by cheffyjay
Is it just coincidence that the airtab advocates are new members?

Just look at the Airtab web site, I think you'll find that their marketing technique is not so sophisticated. Anyway, they're not making any effort at all to sell them for small cars.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 PM
No no, I'm not a marketing ploy. I'm just like all of you looking for cheap ways to improve my mileage.

I painted my tabs before i stuck them on and the color matched pretty well actually. However when i put them on I got the positioning on the sides wrong so now they have like a 1/2 inch space between them and the car right at the back. The info packet that came with them says that isn't a problem and I guess I'm not worried about it since the rain didn't get them all loose or anything. I've actually gotten some compliments on how they look, it kind of looks more racey now.

I wont be able to report my mileage until the middle of August though because I'm taking a road trip then and I'll see how it does.

Quick Reply: Modifications--does anything really increase MPG?