General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LizardKing
I've never had a manual car, but I've heard that if your battery is dead, you can put one into second, push it down a hill, pop the clutch and start it, with a dead battery.
You can do this with a "low" battery, but not a "dead" (or missing) battery as you will not have any electricity to power the ignition system and the alternator requires battery voltage to energize the magnetic field. On older cars with generators you could push start with a "dead" battery because the generators use permanent magnets for the magnetic field, this is not the case with alternators.

Last edited by spreadhead; 05-11-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by claymore
But they don't all run off the battery. Above idle speed (with high load), with the key off, and starting the car are the only times that electrical systems are running off the battery. If you can push start the car you can run WITHOUT a battery forever (or until you run out of fuel) it's been done on motorcycles since the old days ......but try running the car without an alternator and see how long the battery will power the car. The alternator is the "heart" of automotive systems NOT the battery.
If equiped with magneto (think lawnmowers, airplanes, old cycles, and even my Model T which has no battery) the engine ignition system and limited accessories can run as long as there is fuel and the engine is turning, though voltage will vary with RPM.

For generator equiped engines, spinning the generator provides electricity and the regulator helps stabilize the voltage. As a result, voltage dependent accessories can be used.

I found that my 1966 VW Squareback would run without the generator belt, the cooling fan is bolted to the crankshaft on Type III motors. The car would run between 150 and 200 miles on the 6V battery, running with lights drastically cut down the range.

On my old boat, the 1 cylinder diesel can be run without any electricity at all. The battery and starter motor makes it easier to start, but it can be crank started and will run with no wiring whatsoever.

My example in a previous post to isolate the alternator from the immediate demand was to try to simplify the conversation about electrical demand and engine load; in practice, the functions of the components are more interrelated.

Eric

Last edited by ewdysar; 05-11-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
The compressor creates drag on the engine and thus decreased mileage. The less the compressor is engaged, the better. The fan causes an electrical load on the generator/alternator. My preference is to run 4 x 50 (4 windows down, 50 mph) to cool the compartment down as much as possible and then roll up the windows and run the AC fan on as high as is comfortable on the ears. Then cycle the fan down as the compartment cools down. My Fit doesn't have climate control so the compressor and fan do not control themselves.