General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

i just got 48mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 PM
My 07 Fit now has about 15,000 miles in 10 months. I started tracking mileage in 10/06 after a fuel tank concern. 26 fillups totalling 6775 miles using 227.7 gallons resulting in 29.75 MPG. This is a Sport Auto driven mostly around town but a few times on the road by a 48 year old couple; very conservatively Highest 36.5 and lowest 25.9

So that's some real world results over 6 months. Checking one tank, or one 40 mile trip as above is just plain inaccurate.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
I top it off every time and calculate mileage vs. the amount I put in EVERY time I need gas. So, my results have been over the last 3 months with almost 7,000 miles on it.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by mobortho
My 07 Fit now has about 15,000 miles in 10 months. I started tracking mileage in 10/06 after a fuel tank concern. 26 fillups totalling 6775 miles using 227.7 gallons resulting in 29.75 MPG. This is a Sport Auto driven mostly around town but a few times on the road by a 48 year old couple; very conservatively Highest 36.5 and lowest 25.9

So that's some real world results over 6 months. Checking one tank, or one 40 mile trip as above is just plain inaccurate.
Now --- That's more like it.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:15 AM
:'( I've only seen 40 once ... how are people getting 48 and 50 ??

Oh well, maybe when i finally pass 10,000 miles ... only at 7000 miles right now.

ROAD TRIP !!!!!!!! haha

Old 04-20-2007, 10:51 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by mobortho
Checking one tank, or one 40 mile trip as above is just plain inaccurate.
Checking one single tank using the amount of fuel added is inaccurate primarily because different pumps click off at different points (even assuming you don't top off to an even dollar). It can be made more accurate, if you really want to, by using the same pump, parked in the same way, at the same time of day and outside temperature. Better is to take the total of many tanks, so that the error is small compared to the total. Odometer inaccuracy is also an issue, but it doesn't change from day to day, unless your tires are changed or dangerously soft.

The second part presumably refers to my post. Once the OBDII Scangauge is calibrated, it's accurate to the level I reported.

Last edited by kps; 04-20-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
Now --- That's more like it.
Thanks for agreeing! I love my Fit but a EPA 37 MPG doesn't just miraculously change into 45-50 MPG.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Crap, how do you guys get that much mpg???
I just refilled and got 15 mpg! Oh yeah, that's my Ford Cargo Van. That's partially why I added a Fit to my car collection.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:29 AM
It's all about technique. Attached a link to a guy that was able to get 59 mpg. in an accord, and a little more from an Insight . This Guy Can Get 59 MPG in a Plain Old Accord. Beat That, Punk

Old 04-21-2007, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by Gil554
It's all about technique. Attached a link to a guy that was able to get 59 mpg. in an accord, and a little more from an Insight . This Guy Can Get 59 MPG in a Plain Old Accord. Beat That, Punk
It's not an Accord, it's a Honda INSIGHT, a 2-seat car only and one of the ugliest vehicles I've ever seen on the road, Mercedes Smart is another one, how can somebody be proud of driving such an ugly still very expensive... I don't know... car I think its price is at least equal with a fully-equipped AT Sport Fit, to buy such car just to prove that I really hate the oil companies, that's the only reason somebody would buy it... no Sir, not me, not in a million years... I think I've seen 2-3 Insights in the past 8-10 years, who the hell is so stupid to buy such a car???
And btw, everybody is talking about mpg, numbers, figures, but I cannot read anything about how you drive your vehicles, in a 70 mph area do you do 65, 70 or 90, in a 50 you do 50 or 70, or how long it takes you to reach 40 mph after a dead stop at a traffic light? Of course if you drive like the oldest person on this planet you can reach the +40 mpg rate, but then why do you buy a car when we have public transportation (including charter buses) that can take you to the same destination doing the very same speed and you do not have to own a car (included paid insurance) in order to get there!!!
Chris

Old 04-21-2007, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by Blinky
I am a believer. I have hit between 51 and 46.5 mpg on a few occasions driving 310 mile trips.
I bet you always drive UNDER the speed limit, you're free to do it as we all live in a free country BUT... please, do not ever use the fast (left) lane especially when you see somebody like me that always does 140-160 km/h coming hard behind you... thank you...
Chris

Old 04-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I am calling BS on this only because of the mountain driving. That kind of driving kills MPG even on my 2006 civic hybrid my miles suck in the mountains. It is hard to believe driving flat roads and impossible in the mountains.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by CB19
It's not an Accord, it's a Honda INSIGHT, a 2-seat car only and one of the ugliest vehicles I've ever seen on the road, Mercedes Smart is another one, how can somebody be proud of driving such an ugly still very expensive... I don't know... car I think its price is at least equal with a fully-equipped AT Sport Fit, to buy such car just to prove that I really hate the oil companies, that's the only reason somebody would buy it... no Sir, not me, not in a million years... I think I've seen 2-3 Insights in the past 8-10 years, who the hell is so stupid to buy such a car???
And btw, everybody is talking about mpg, numbers, figures, but I cannot read anything about how you drive your vehicles, in a 70 mph area do you do 65, 70 or 90, in a 50 you do 50 or 70, or how long it takes you to reach 40 mph after a dead stop at a traffic light? Of course if you drive like the oldest person on this planet you can reach the +40 mpg rate, but then why do you buy a car when we have public transportation (including charter buses) that can take you to the same destination doing the very same speed and you do not have to own a car (included paid insurance) in order to get there!!!
Chris
I drive between 55 in the county roads and 65-75 on the freeway's here are my mpg

Fit 33-34mpg but I only have 2700 on the motor so its not broke in.

2006 civic hybrid 42-44 with 46 once

maybe California's extreme weather messes up mpg but I don't understand how anyone in a fit is getting 40+ unless they drive 45-50 mph everywhere they go.. which here in Sacramento is absolutely imposable.

So please those of you that are getting 40+ explain your driving habits and your road and weather conditions.

I hear similar story's in the hybrid forums of 50-60 mpg on the newest civic hybrid which blows my mind too. I can see 50 but 60 mpg doesn't make sense. btw the civic is a 1.3 very high tech motor. It makes the L series look like they came from the stone ages.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by rekcah
I drive between 55 in the county roads and 65-75 on the freeway's here are my mpg

2006 civic hybrid 42-44 with 46 once

maybe California's extreme weather messes up mpg but I don't understand how anyone in a fit is getting 40+ unless they drive 45-50 mph everywhere they go.. which here in Sacramento is absolutely imposable.

So please those of you that are getting 40+ explain your driving habits and your road and weather conditions.

I hear similar story's in the hybrid forums of 50-60 mpg on the newest civic hybrid which blows my mind too. I can see 50 but 60 mpg doesn't make sense. btw the civic is a 1.3 very high tech motor. It makes the L series look like they came from the stone ages.
If somebody with a NON-hybrid vehicle can ever reach those 40+, even 45+ mpg figures, if ever that possible in real life, their rpm must never go over 2K and that means slower than an 18-wheeler!!!!
And btw, talking about hybrids, I have nothing against people driving them as long as you do not drive slower than a bus in front of me, but the price of an hybrid makes me not even think about it, where I live it costs about $10K more (taxes included) than a similar non-hybrid model, so how long do I have to keep the hybrid in order to make the investment in a hybrid worthwhile Save the environment but who's gonna save the freaking hole in my bank account
Chris

Old 04-21-2007, 12:31 PM

My case, 35-36 mpg exclusively for the open road, cruise control on 75...
But when you do a lot of city drive, stop-and-go, traffic jams on a regular basis, 20 mph for miles and miles, or thousands of stop signs and traffic lights, that's when your mpg drops dramatically, 26 mpg (city only) for me... but I always reach the 5th gear within 10 secs and not a whole millennium
Chris

Old 04-21-2007, 12:34 PM
If somebody with a NON-hybrid vehicle can ever reach those 40+, even 45+ mpg figures, if ever that possible in real life, their rpm must never go over 2K and that means slower than an 18-wheeler!!!!
And btw, talking about hybrids, I have nothing against people driving them as long as you do not drive slower than a bus in front of me, but the price of an hybrid makes me not even think about it, where I live it costs about $10K more (taxes included) than a similar non-hybrid model, so how long do I have to keep the hybrid in order to make the investment in a hybrid worthwhile Save the environment but who's gonna save the freaking hole in my bank account
Chris
I bought the civic hybrid because it was not that much more than the civic ex and it has better interior with blinkers in the side mirrors. In the US we get $2,100 back from the gov. For me it is nothing about saving the environment since I run a rsx with a race header. The mpg are ok but my wife put 25k miles on it the first year so the main reason for the hybrid is you can drive solo in the carp pool lanes saving a ton of time during commute hours. I think it is only California that does that.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
My case, 35-36 mpg exclusively for the open road, cruise control on 75...
But when you do a lot of city drive, stop-and-go, traffic jams on a regular basis, 20 mph for miles and miles, or thousands of stop signs and traffic lights, that's when your mpg drops dramatically, 26 mpg (city only) for me... but I always reach the 5th gear within 10 secs and not a whole millennium
Chris
Wow... I've NEVER hit 300 on my trip on any of my tanks. The most i've gotten on a tank is 288 miles and that's driving VERY conservative.

Good for you...

Old 04-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by JamesBizzle
Wow... I've NEVER hit 300 on my trip on any of my tanks. The most i've gotten on a tank is 288 miles and that's driving VERY conservative.

Good for you...
I just got 316 today before my light came on but I swear its hard to get high gas mileage in Cali maybe its the amount of traffic making slower driving imposable.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:26 PM
I bought the civic hybrid because it was not that much more than the civic ex and it has better interior with blinkers in the side mirrors. In the US we get $2,100 back from the gov. For me it is nothing about saving the environment since I run a rsx with a race header. The mpg are ok but my wife put 25k miles on it the first year so the main reason for the hybrid is you can drive solo in the carp pool lanes saving a ton of time during commute hours. I think it is only California that does that.
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...icles-2007.pdf

How to convert MPG miles per gallon to liter per 100 km

Old 04-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by JamesBizzle

Good for you...
That's for the city only and since I started to use the + paddle never letting the rpm go over 3K... but maybe not 300 miles/tank but 290 (460 km) for sure, again 100% city driving with lots of traffic jams, stop-and-go, bumper-to-bumper, 20 mph for miles and miles and tons of headaches pills
Maybe the saving is not too significant but when you do 2-3 fill-ups/week any penny you save it's greatly appreciated I drive for living delivering medical equipment to lots of places including blood samples for testing, so lots of mileage on my little car, but GREAT for cargo and super-fun to drive it
Chris

Old 04-21-2007, 02:14 PM
nice both the fit and hybrid are on there.

nice conversion tool

Quick Reply: i just got 48mpg!