General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Shifting a Sport 5AT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by RedAndy
Once you touch the paddles in S mode, the rules change:
a) It will only auto shift up to 3rd gear if you don't, but not go past it. You'll have to shift up if you want to go up from 3rd gear (~60 mph redline?)

Not for me, when I am in S mode and using the paddles, I have redlined in First. It wouldn't auto shift for me at all. It will only autoshift down if you decelerate.

I haven't tried to not use paddles while in S. IF you are in D you can use the paddles to down and up shift, but once you start to accelerate it will take over.

I am pretty sure the Auto (D) has gone into 5th for me... I will go get my manual, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Checked the manual.

D does go from 1-5 on all models.

In S mode, if you don't hit the paddles at all, will only shift from 1-4 (for stop and go driving, the manual says)

When in S mode you Hit either of the Paddles the car will NOT upshift for you. But may down shift if you are decelerate stop a stop (to first) or from 5th to 4th if you slow to a certain speed or press the brake pedal. But from my experience it takes a good amount of speed drop for that to happen.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
the one thing i liked, is that in S mode when fully stopped you can choose between 1st and 2nd gear to start back up with.

and youre right WFH, it's like that with my car.

Maybe different cars have different actions, he said to read the manual, his may say something different.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:38 AM
Personally, I don't feel the need of using the S mode... while always in D I use the + paddle shifter to upshift from 1st up to the 5th gear never letting the RPM go over 3K but for downshifting I let the AT do its own routine...
Chris

Old 04-19-2007, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CB19
Personally, I don't feel the need of using the S mode... while always in D I use the + paddle shifter to upshift from 1st up to the 5th gear never letting the RPM go over 3K but for downshifting I let the AT do its own routine...
Chris

I only did the S thing for 2 days, when i had to fill up and the little red light was on (the gas one)

havent used S since then, it was nice, but the impact to my pocket was a little hard, so i now drive on D only...

Old 04-19-2007, 04:41 AM
Originally Posted by nexus4400
The Fit has NO CVT = Continuous Variable Transmission. Those cars are funky and rev to the RPM with max torque output and stay there. CVTs don't seem like they shift gears at all.
They do in indonesia. Where the original poster is from.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by WhatFreshHell
Not for me, when I am in S mode and using the paddles, I have redlined in First. It wouldn't auto shift for me at all. It will only autoshift down if you decelerate.

I knew I'd misremember some part - thanks for clearing that up.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 PM
I find that in D while 'breaking in' the engine the paddles were helpful to vaccuum break the motor.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Zeon
They do in indonesia. Where the original poster is from.
Thanks...
we get CVT... all u guys dont?? is it conventional auto?

Old 04-20-2007, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PUMPKINS
Thanks...
we get CVT... all u guys dont?? is it conventional auto?
Yes, North America gets 5 speed conventional automatic with lock up torque converter.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Sorry, I forgot how international this forum is.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 AM

hmm just wondering... how is the conventional auto in FIT?
is it good?... coz back then conventional honda auto in small engine is not as good as CVT.. just my 2 cents... i hope im wrong

Old 04-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by nexus4400
Sorry, I forgot how international this forum is.
Some even get the CVT-7 which is a CVT with 7 computer generated shift points if you want to use the paddles. Every country but the US and Canada can get a cvt in one form or another I wish we could get one here. I love mine in my civic hybrid.

On the topic of low gas mileage with the paddles. I use mine to shift earlier then D mode will allow and I increase my MPG a little that way.

At the same time I have used the paddles to keep the car close to red line when I am following friends in faster cars during acceleration.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by LizardKing
There seems to be much confusion about how the paddle shifters work. This is how they work in MY Fit:

In D, I can paddle shift up or down. The car will then override my shifting when it wants to (I've not fully tested the conditions).

In S, if I don't touch the shifters, the car will shift from first to second to third. During my commute, I was unable to go fast enough to see if it will shift into fourth. These shifts occurred at about 3000 rpm, while in D, they occurred at about 2500 rpm.

Once I use either paddle in S mode, I am now in manual mode, and the engine will redline if I don't upshift. I haven't fully tested this, as I do not like the sound of the engine near redline, especially if I'm only going 20 mph. However, the car WILL downshift by itself, usually skipping second, and going right from third to first as I stop. I can shift into fifth gear from fourth only if I am going above about 35mph.

Is this behavior different than anyone else's car?
Well, I tested if the car will automatically shift at redline in manual sport mode. It didn't. From a stop, I floored the gas, and when the engine hit redline, it bounced a little bit back and forth for a second, but didn't shift, so I shifted into second. I'm not sure what would happen if it were in automatic sport mode, though.

Is there anything wrong with driving at the highest gear possible? I can usually drive in 5th gear at only 35mph, and I can start the car from a stop in 2nd. Will this put excess strain on the engine though?

Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
the one thing i liked, is that in S mode when fully stopped you can choose between 1st and 2nd gear to start back up with.

and youre right WFH, it's like that with my car.

Maybe different cars have different actions, he said to read the manual, his may say something different.
I run my Fit in Sport and use the paddles all the time. I shift earlier than the car does automatically in S or D, and keep my rpms lower. This has yielded a slight increase in my efficiency. However, is there any disadvantage (other than a lack of power) to starting out in 2nd instead of first? Does it put more stress on the engine?

Old 04-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I've redlined mine a few times... sometimes I forget i'm in S mode..lol. But I'm always on S mode unless I'm changing songs on my mp3 player. (ok sometimes when I answer the phone)

Here's what I know and what I've noticed:

At start, when you put into S mode, it will not activate until you press the downshift paddle (left paddle). When u do, it starts at 1st gear. If you drive on S mode without activating it, it does not shift to 5th gear. It will always shift up to 4th. I think that's there to let you know that you are in S mode.

It does not shift in S mode. You will redline it. The needle will bounce, the engine will rev up and down quickly.

Yes you can down shift when the RPM is right. If the RPM is too high, it will not down shift. You can see the gear number that you want to shift to, blink, then it goes back to the gear number that you are on.

-Tomi

Old 04-29-2007, 04:18 AM
Originally Posted by Deivioncrx
It does have some form of a alarm, idk how she set it off, but my mom set it off while i was washing the car.

I dont know if it has a motion/shake sensor, but it probably will set the alarm off if you open any of the doors while its set. Real eazy to test, just roll the windows down, set the alarm then open a door, pop the hood or the hatch, and see if the alarm goes off. I imagian it does since somebody said you cant hit the lock button twice and honk the horn if the hood or hatch is poped.

I don't know for sure about the base but on the SPORT they come with a full alarm system installed. If you don't pay the extra for the alarm system, Honda takes out a chip and all you have is the basic door unlock and alarm if someone opens the door with something other than the key, such as breaking the window and opening it from the inside.
If you pay the extra for the alarm they out the chip back in and then it has a shock sensor as well.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:27 AM
I've never driven a manual car, only automatics, but now I have a VBP Sport 5AT and I've been playing with the paddles quite a bit. First of all, S and D mode seem pretty much the same to me, but it may just be my driving (I have a fairly heavy foot).

In Manual mode, I usually start out from a stop in 2nd, and then shift up as soon as I can, which is at about 5mph for 3rd, and 25mph for 4th. Since during my commute I rarely get above 30mph, I am not sure exactly where the shift point for 5th is. I've never redlined the car, as it just doesn't feel right to hear the engine so loud and going so slow. Once I came close, but almost instinctively shifted to quiet the engine.

My thinking is that by shifting the car as early as possible, my RPMs will be as low as possible, which will help fuel efficiency (right now, I'm getting about 22mpg, but I only have about 350 miles on it).

Is there anything wrong with starting out in 2nd instead of 1st? Sometimes, if I shift into 2nd, and never get very fast, I can stop again and the car will stay in 2nd, but usually it will shift into 1st. Am I doing more harm than good by driving this way?
You're definitely doing more harm than good. Lugging an engine is even worse than red-lining it. It builds up carbon deposits quickly. You're definitely hurting you're gas mileage. The shift points set at the factory take advantage of the best balance between fuel efficiency and emissions. If you're shifting too early you have to give it more gas to get the same amount of pick-up. Leave it in D unless playing or hill climbing and you will see a definite improvement in gas mileage.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by Luichenwai
I dont know about that.
When I put my car in S mode.. It doesn't seem to shift up after 40 mph.....
I'm thinking it only uses 4 gears in S mode as to 5 in D mode....
It seems to me when I read the manual it did say the S mode is only a 4 speed mode unless you shift it into 5th using the paddle.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:48 AM
I run my Fit in Sport and use the paddles all the time. I shift earlier than the car does automatically in S or D, and keep my rpms lower. This has yielded a slight increase in my efficiency. However, is there any disadvantage (other than a lack of power) to starting out in 2nd instead of first? Does it put more stress on the engine?
It will put a little more stress on the engine. I think it puts a lot more stress on the transmission. If you've ever started out in 2nd with a manual you know you have to give it more gas than normal as well as letting the clutch slip for a longer time until the car reaches a speed where the engine won't lug. With the auto it's internal clutches have to slip longer when starting in 2nd also.

Quick Reply: Shifting a Sport 5AT?