General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Shifting a Sport 5AT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mead
hmmm so 3900 rpm at 80 mph... doesn that go for 5AT also?

I do 650 mile interstate trips every now and then
No, the AT is geared quite a lot taller than the MT. Most cars have their MT version geared lower like this, but the Fit's difference is bigger than most. Check the sticked 'long review of AT/MT' thread for details.

At 60 the MT does ~2900, if I remember right the AT @60 is ~2300. If you do mostly long highway trips, your gas mileage may slightly better on the AT vs MT because of this difference (but not nearly as much as you'd think), but the MT gets a lot better in the city.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Mileage

The paddle shifters, while fun, normally drop my MPG from 29-30(in D) to roughly 25 or 26. While I enjoy having the convenience of an auto (much easier to eat and drive), I would definitely rather have the 5spd if I had a choice. However, I would have had to wait about 1.5 months before the next M/T would come into the dealership so I decided not to wait.

The Fit's S-mode definitely lets you sit at redline if you don't self-shift up. However, it will downshift for you as you are slowing down, which is nice in case you forgot that you're in S-mode.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
There seems to be much confusion about how the paddle shifters work. This is how they work in MY Fit:

In D, I can paddle shift up or down. The car will then override my shifting when it wants to (I've not fully tested the conditions).

In S, if I don't touch the shifters, the car will shift from first to second to third. During my commute, I was unable to go fast enough to see if it will shift into fourth. These shifts occurred at about 3000 rpm, while in D, they occurred at about 2500 rpm.

Once I use either paddle in S mode, I am now in manual mode, and the engine will redline if I don't upshift. I haven't fully tested this, as I do not like the sound of the engine near redline, especially if I'm only going 20 mph. However, the car WILL downshift by itself, usually skipping second, and going right from third to first as I stop. I can shift into fifth gear from fourth only if I am going above about 35mph.

Is this behavior different than anyone else's car?

Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by LizardKing
There seems to be much confusion about how the paddle shifters work. This is how they work in MY Fit:

In D, I can paddle shift up or down. The car will then override my shifting when it wants to (I've not fully tested the conditions).

In S, if I don't touch the shifters, the car will shift from first to second to third. During my commute, I was unable to go fast enough to see if it will shift into fourth. These shifts occurred at about 3000 rpm, while in D, they occurred at about 2500 rpm.

Once I use either paddle in S mode, I am now in manual mode, and the engine will redline if I don't upshift. I haven't fully tested this, as I do not like the sound of the engine near redline, especially if I'm only going 20 mph. However, the car WILL downshift by itself, usually skipping second, and going right from third to first as I stop. I can shift into fifth gear from fourth only if I am going above about 35mph.

Is this behavior different than anyone else's car?
Sounds the same as mine. Nice summary there.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:48 PM
OK I think I'm sold on the 5 AT.... now I like some feedback from 5AT users than came from a 5MT (any car)... so how have your driving habits changed? do you use the M mode or S mode or just leave it in Auto.

Do you usually shift on fwy on ramps? when do you actually paddle shift?

Thanks... I know lots of questions, sorry
Well my driving habits haven't changed at all. As for coming from a manual to a auto. Its not bad. I drive the car in s mode all of the time. I think the paddle's are great. Once you get a feel for them you won't drive the car in D mode anymore. The sport shifting on the auto is very precise. It takes just the slightest push on the paddle to shift the gears. It also shifts extremely quick and very smooth. Even when shifting from higher rpms. Plus with the way the torque converter works on this transmission it really feels like it has more gears than 5. Like I said if the fit came with a 6 speed manual I would have waited months for it. But, since both transmission options are 5 speed I figured I'd have the best of both worlds!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Man I'm hooked on the 5AT... thanks. Earlier I asked about the 'security system' can anyone chime in?

The brochure says Immobilizer Theft-Deterrent System (standard) and Security System with Remote Entry (sport only)

So does the Fit have an audible alarm (horn) or motion sensor (I guess that's too much to ask) but if someone breaks in thru the door or hatch will the horn sound?

Old 04-10-2007, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
It does have some form of a alarm, idk how she set it off, but my mom set it off while i was washing the car.

I dont know if it has a motion/shake sensor, but it probably will set the alarm off if you open any of the doors while its set. Real eazy to test, just roll the windows down, set the alarm then open a door, pop the hood or the hatch, and see if the alarm goes off. I imagian it does since somebody said you cant hit the lock button twice and honk the horn if the hood or hatch is poped.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Man I'm hooked on the 5AT... thanks. Earlier I asked about the 'security system' can anyone chime in?

The brochure says Immobilizer Theft-Deterrent System (standard) and Security System with Remote Entry (sport only)

So does the Fit have an audible alarm (horn) or motion sensor (I guess that's too much to ask) but if someone breaks in thru the door or hatch will the horn sound?
You can "preview" the alarm by holding down the "Panic" button on your remote for a few seconds. The horn sounds and the lights blink. Pressing either of the other buttons will make it stop.

Once I managed to set the alarm off, but I forget what I did. I don't think its a motion or touch sensor (touching the car doesn't seem to set it off).

Old 04-11-2007, 10:40 PM
there is no motion sensor.... press the button by the door opening and foul the car that the door is closed, engage the alarm.... nothing happens no matter what u do unless u release that button and the car thinks the door is open

Old 04-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Hey thanks, ummm your explaination is a bit confusing... maybe it's just me. =)

Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 AM
A/T owner Is ok to running S all the time??

Is it ok to running n S mode all the time???

Old 04-17-2007, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
yes.......

Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't see why it would be a problem.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:39 AM
Thanks a lot...
Coz im afraid sumtin will happen to CVT...

Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 AM
I dont know about that.
When I put my car in S mode.. It doesn't seem to shift up after 40 mph.....
I'm thinking it only uses 4 gears in S mode as to 5 in D mode....

Old 04-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Luichenwai
I dont know about that.

I have definitely gone into 5th in S mode.

You might want to double check your car.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Same here, but i burn gas like a MOFO.... =|

it's amazing how it feels spending 3.89 a gas on regular unleaded after only 160 miles of driving (i reset my trip meters on every fill up) it looks and sounds cool to drive like that, but it does have its costs if you rev up a lot.

But man, i could get higher speeds on S than on D. =D

Old 04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
The Fit has NO CVT = Continuous Variable Transmission. Those cars are funky and rev to the RPM with max torque output and stay there. CVTs don't seem like they shift gears at all.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Luichenwai
I dont know about that.
in S mode the car will only go to 5th after 35 or 40mph any less it will only go up to 4th

Old 04-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I can't remember exactly here, but this is my recollection after driving both quite a bit and trying decide whether this was one car with an AT I could buy (I have M/T but really tried all the AT options when testing to see if I wanted one....)

There are basically 2 'S' modes, the 'sporty automatic mode' for those who want to have more kick but not do any shifting, and a 'sporty manual mode' for those who want to shift.

The first time you touch the paddles in 'S' mode you go from 'sport auto' to 'sport manual'.

If you drive in S mode but don't touch the paddles, it will auto shift for you, but
a) the shift rpm points are somewhat higher than in D mode and;
b) I don't think it will go into 5th by itself (redline in 4th on an AT is pretty fast and is probably past top speed....) - You'll have to 'paddle it' into 5th gear if that's what you want.

Once you touch the paddles in S mode, the rules change:
a) It will only auto shift up to 3rd gear if you don't, but not go past it. You'll have to shift up if you want to go up from 3rd gear (~60 mph redline?)

Either way, it will auto shift down for you if you are stopping.

It's covered in the manual - hope I got the detail right - it's a bit confusing because they seemed to want to cover all the bases.....

Quick Reply: Shifting a Sport 5AT?