General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What you DONT like about your Fit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit's steering is a bit responsive/sensitive compared to others. Give yourself some time to get used to it. The car's fine.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Subie is right... I had been driving a 97 GMC Safari van with worn tie rods when I got my 2007 Fit in 2006.. I felt like an idiot trying to get used to keeping the RPM up when maneuvering through traffic as well as relaxing and having a light hand on the steering input. The short wheelbase has a lot to do with the wandering but in time I have been able to easily handle driving at 90MPH + without having white knuckles.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
At first I was also a bit worried about the steering, but now I love it. I get in my sister-in-law maxima and steering feels so slow & heavy.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
The steering response is part of the "Fun" factor of the Fit. It definitely doesn't drive like a Corolla - more like a Go Kart...

Old 10-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Fun FIT

Originally Posted by Subie
The steering response is part of the "Fun" factor of the Fit. It definitely doesn't drive like a Corolla - more like a Go Kart...
Totally agree,that quick response, and the fairly firm suspension is part of what makes the FIT a really fun car,as long as you enjoy driving.Some people get a car to get from point a to b.I enjoy driving and even more when tight turns and wet roads are involved,it may sound nuts, but to each his own.Next: better brake pads and tires.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
I have had no major issue with the tires on my new 2011 Fit sport and find that it tracks about as well as can be expected on the roads in the north east, at least no worse than my prior wrx. I think what some people blame on the tires is really that the steering on the fit is not firm and instead is quite sensitive to user input (from you or the road). Also if you are coming from a larger car, small cars are more nimble.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by beezle
I have had no major issue with the tires on my new 2011 Fit sport and find that it tracks about as well as can be expected on the roads in the north east, at least no worse than my prior wrx. I think what some people blame on the tires is really that the steering on the fit is not firm and instead is quite sensitive to user input (from you or the road). Also if you are coming from a larger car, small cars are more nimble.
Quite true, I have owned 5 Hondas (all Accords) and yes, the FIT's steering is a bit different ,but responsive and more sensitive.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjsifo
even more when tight turns and wet roads are involved,it may sound nuts, but to each his own.
"Loco Puertoricano 'migo!" Wet roads and tight turns... yeah, take that curve! That's Rex weather fro me!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 PM
"Loco Puertoricano 'migo!" Wet roads and tight turns... yeah, take that curve! That's Rex weather fro me!
that's what everybody says! hey in approx 5 hours, 2am Sun. F1 Korean Grand Prix! on SPEED CHANNEL.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Can't wait too see the race, even thought the championship has been won. I can't wait to see the India Gran Prix. I watch it on BBC iPlayer.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
i dont like that it isn't insured right now and i can't drive it. cant wait to drive it next month!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by B-Blue
Can't wait too see the race, even thought the championship has been won. I can't wait to see the India Gran Prix. I watch it on BBC iPlayer.
It amazes me how Vettel has been doing,and Red Bull for that matter,i had hopes for Alonso and Massa,specially Massa, since the accident.Cannot believe Ferrari has fallen so behind,but then it is the nature of the sport.Curious,I don't run into F1 fans often.I'll probably watch the race tomorrow at noon SPEED will replay it then. Have Fun!! JJ
Really thought Schumacher was going to do better also.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Tracking problems might also be caused by an imbalance of tire pressures. IE, some of the tires may be over- or under-inflated and that pulls the car to one side.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 AM
It tracks fine on the highway... just be attentive to the
steering wheel, after all that is why it is there.

I don't like that my Fit's gas tank gets empty every 4 to 5
weeks and I have to waste gas driving to the filling station.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjsifo
It amazes me how Vettel has been doing,and Red Bull for that matter,i had hopes for Alonso and Massa,specially Massa, since the accident.Cannot believe Ferrari has fallen so behind,but then it is the nature of the sport.Curious,I don't run into F1 fans often.I'll probably watch the race tomorrow at noon SPEED will replay it then. Have Fun!! JJ
Really thought Schumacher was going to do better also.
Yeah, ferrari really dropped the ball on this season. I kinda of knew it when I saw the car, they really didn't seem to put out as much effort as the other big teams. I really hope Hamilton/Button would be able to give red bull a fight, but once Vettel is in the front, its hard to catch up. BTW, I hated the Monico race, Mclaren or ferrari where going to over take Vettel but the F1 organizers really screwed that one up. It's nice to see another F1 fan here

Old 10-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i continue to hate the AT on the GE. it's a terrible combination with the weak engine.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know about the newer Corolla, but they have electric PS like the yaris hatchback and the yaris has a better steering than the fit IMO. It's almost as sharp and quick, but more stable on the freeway and the turning radius is much smaller (by about 3 feet I think). It would be nice to have the power assist decreasing with speed. I like the quick response of the fit's steering, but it could be a bit less assisted actually, you don't feel anything.

Also, the fit is really missing a 6th gear (on the m/t), my Toyota MR2 turbo (jdm spec, 240hp) is more fuel efficient at highway speeds, I get the same mpg while driving a good 10mph faster.

So, I like the fit for city and spirited driving, but for highway it's not so great because of the noise, poor highway fuel economy and uncomfortable seats (for me at least). I don't get how they decided to make the gears so short, 10 years ago, the Civic EK hatchback had the longest transmission ever, and that was without any VTEC system to help with lower rpm torque. You stay in 2nd or 3rd while driving around town, it's not a big deal, and when you hit the freeway you enjoy your 40mpg and no engine noise (and better seats, although I still changed mines for integra seats).

Last edited by broody; 10-17-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I only pop on here from time to time for a lurk... I do find some of these "What you don't like about your ___" threads interesting, both on this site and on just about any auto forum.

You find a mix of posts here... some people are very happy with their cars, but have a few nagging annoyances, and like to vent about them. Others really are unhappy about their cars... for whatever reason (financial bind, sheer stubbornness) they are sticking it out. And quite often you have a third class of responses - people for whom the purchase of a sub-$20K cheapo car is the seeming pinnacle of their success in life, or for whom the car is like an extension of their ego, being, and soul, and take great offense if others don't appreciate the car the way they do.

It's also interesting to see differences in priority. Turn radius, for instance. I half cared about turn radius when I lived in Cali, but in Texas? Anything shorter than a half-ton pickup is easy to whip around in parking lots.

In my case, I was genuinely unhappy with my Fit over time... I put about 17,000 miles on it if I remember correctly, and have since put almost 15,000 on my tC (yep, in only seven months... I've driven it from coast to coast, half-way back, and have a longer commute now, at 50 miles round trip vs 15). I'm far happier with the tC in almost every way - comfort, performance, amenities (sunroof, more power, manual transmission), and was quite impressed with its highway drivability when traveling from Cali to Fla in 4 days. The Fit's mileage would be nice on my 50 mile mostly-freeway commute, but I'm still averaging a hair under 28 mpg, so I can't find much to complain about... if I was that concerned about fuel costs, I wouldn't have rented a luxury townhouse 25 miles from work. I'll probably move closer when my lease is up, as I want to buy a house and staying under $200K would be better for my budget.)

Anyway, kinda rambling, I know. If you enjoy your Fit, don't take offense to complaints others have, because a car is a somewhat personal thing, and each of us has our preferences for our vehicle in different orders and priorities. If you don't enjoy it, or don't enjoy it enough to overlook its shortcomings, find something you like better, and don't look back. That's what I did, and haven't thought twice about it.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i continue to hate the AT on the GE. it's a terrible combination with the weak engine.
>>> What is wrong with it? I love mine. No paddles here so I use the stick to shift between 3rd and Drive. Love it.

Originally Posted by Occam
I only pop on here from time to time for a lurk... I do find some of these "What you don't like about your ___" threads interesting, both on this site and on just about any auto forum.

You find a mix of posts here... some people are very happy with their cars, but have a few nagging annoyances, and like to vent about them. Others really are unhappy about their cars... for whatever reason (financial bind, sheer stubbornness) they are sticking it out. And quite often you have a third class of responses - people for whom the purchase of a sub-$20K cheapo car is the seeming pinnacle of their success in life, or for whom the car is like an extension of their ego, being, and soul, and take great offense if others don't appreciate the car the way they do.

It's also interesting to see differences in priority. Turn radius, for instance. I half cared about turn radius when I lived in Cali, but in Texas? Anything shorter than a half-ton pickup is easy to whip around in parking lots.

In my case, I was genuinely unhappy with my Fit over time... I put about 17,000 miles on it if I remember correctly, and have since put almost 15,000 on my tC (yep, in only seven months... I've driven it from coast to coast, half-way back, and have a longer commute now, at 50 miles round trip vs 15). I'm far happier with the tC in almost every way - comfort, performance, amenities (sunroof, more power, manual transmission), and was quite impressed with its highway drivability when traveling from Cali to Fla in 4 days. The Fit's mileage would be nice on my 50 mile mostly-freeway commute, but I'm still averaging a hair under 28 mpg, so I can't find much to complain about... if I was that concerned about fuel costs, I wouldn't have rented a luxury townhouse 25 miles from work. I'll probably move closer when my lease is up, as I want to buy a house and staying under $200K would be better for my budget.)

Anyway, kinda rambling, I know. If you enjoy your Fit, don't take offense to complaints others have, because a car is a somewhat personal thing, and each of us has our preferences for our vehicle in different orders and priorities. If you don't enjoy it, or don't enjoy it enough to overlook its shortcomings, find something you like better, and don't look back. That's what I did, and haven't thought twice about it.
>>> My Fit is my Toy car. My wife refuses to ride in it as just too uncomfortable. I doubt if I would have one if it was our only vehicle. I love it and enjoy doing the mods. But when we go out and take the Caravan it is then I realize just what a rough ride the Fit is.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit is beyond being practical in some ways but total practicality can be boring at times just as being impractical can be a real pain in the ass... I have a V6 pickup and Subaru Forester at my disposal when needed but it has been months since I've driven either of them.. I do my monthly 90 mile round trip to Sam's Club and 200+mile round trips to medical appointments and to visit my grandkid in the Fit... The pickup is painful for me to drive very far in but the Forester feels real good all the way around but it bores me to the point that I nod off at the wheel on long trips at night unless I am wired up on caffeine.... There is no doubt in my mine that I would have traded of my Fit years ago if I had gotten it with an automatic transmission and Oscar Jackson hadn't have come to my need for speed rescue..

Quick Reply: What you DONT like about your Fit