General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What you DONT like about your Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
I don't follow close enough to the car in front of me to where that is a problem.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I don't follow close enough to the car in front of me to where that is a problem.
i drive in san francisco. you gotta grab spots when you can.

...but i'm making the complaint because i WANT to let folks in when they're using their blinkers. it's easy karma points.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
the horn! replaced with the accord horn, much better.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Highway MPG

Top End gearing in my 2010 Sport MT. What was Honda thinking

In my rural/suburban driving world I see 38MPG average out of the last 3 tankfuls. I like this - reinforces why I bought a FIT.

Problem comes on the open road. Turnpike driving returns a 34-35MPG over a 900M round trip. Now it's still nothing to complain about but it baffles me that it's less than my local driving.

Never had a car that was set-up this way. Then I notice the top end on the AT is a better ratio than the MT in the GE8's.

Some one please explain this to me
K_C_

Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal

In my rural/suburban driving world I see 38MPG average out of the last 3 tankfuls. I like this - reinforces why I bought a FIT.

Problem comes on the open road. Turnpike driving returns a 34-35MPG over a 900M round trip. Now it's still nothing to complain about but it baffles me that it's less than my local driving.

Never had a car that was set-up this way. Then I notice the top end on the AT is a better ratio than the MT in the GE8's.

K_C_
What is your average speed?

From the California Energy Center:

Drag increases exponentially.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:59 PM
i found that the blindspots were tricky because of the small window at the back and the back seat headrests almost block your view, you get used to it though... as for the convexx mirror i dont have one but i imagine it would

Old 05-24-2010, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal

K_C_
I easily get over 40 MPG with my 2010 MT. If you increase the speed, you are fighting the wind. That is why you are getting better mileage in rural driving.

The gearing is fine to me. The engine is smooth, and 3K rpm at highway speed is nothing bad. The reason they chose these ratios is because the engine needs to be spinning at those speeds to provide the power for the load. If it spun at a lower rpm, it would be loaded more and the MPG would decrease. That's how I think.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by john21031
I easily get over 40 MPG with my 2010 MT. If you increase the speed, you are fighting the wind. That is why you are getting better mileage in rural driving.

The gearing is fine to me. The engine is smooth, and 3K rpm at highway speed is nothing bad. The reason they chose these ratios is because the engine needs to be spinning at those speeds to provide the power for the load. If it spun at a lower rpm, it would be loaded more and the MPG would decrease. That's how I think.
Thanks to you and Occam - I can understand the need to have the revs up for power, but it's my impression that the AT revs lower at 70MPH than the MT. Correct me if I'm wrong. I also understand that the pre 08 FIT's were not geared this way.

My highway cruise is @ 70MPH. I've only had one long run, but two weeks and I'll do my round trip to Bangor, ME again so I'll check it then. This weekend I'm heading down to North Jersey, a shorter run and smoother terrain, so I'll get a better feel for things, but I'm not thinking I'll see 40MPG, but my FIT does continue to surprise me. I'll post back.
K_C_

Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 AM
In my Element (with its terrible aerodynamic profile) I once got 26 mpg on a highway trip that was limited to about 50 mph due to road conditions.

On the regular freeway or interstate, it was usually in the 21-22 range.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Ive only had the 2010 Base M/T for two weeks and 500 miles, so these are first impressions, coming from a 1999 Camry V-6.

After reading many, but not all posts of this thread, Im glad I didnt get the sport with the lower bumpers. It doesnt scrape in places where the Camry did.

#1 complaint: not directionally stable on the freeway. I think/hope this is a tire issue. I have to constantly correct, where the Camry (on Michelin Pilots) was a great freeway cruiser. Much of our pavement is grooved concrete and this Fit feels like a motorycle on it, constantly hunting for center. Any suggestions for optimum tire pressures with the stock Dunlops? Or, is it related to electric power steering, which should, but maybe not, revert to manual steering at speed?

#2 complaint: M/T gearing is too aggressive. The engine has more than enough torque to handle taller gears. I once had a BMW with less off the line grunt, but it ran 3000rpm@70mph with a direct drive 5th gear. The Fit is about 3500rpm@70mph with OD. I realize this is primarily a city car, but at least the M/T model should have the same final drive ratio as the auto.

I actually dont miss the extra gadgets that the Camry had, or the quiet. That car would put you to sleep, which may be why Camry drivers seem so dangerous. I like to hear the engine and dont need or want things like automatic headlights.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Tire pressure

Originally Posted by nikita

#1 complaint: not directionally stable on the freeway. I think/hope this is a tire issue. I have to constantly correct, where the Camry (on Michelin Pilots) was a great freeway cruiser. Much of our pavement is grooved concrete and this Fit feels like a motorycle on it, constantly hunting for center. Any suggestions for optimum tire pressures with the stock Dunlops? Or, is it related to electric power steering, which should, but maybe not, revert to manual steering at speed?
Tire pressure is one of the biggest topics on this site. I run stock Dulops at 35 psi all-around in my 09 Fit MT and get great gas mileage and it has no problem like wandering around. Other people swear by 40+psi.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
I agree with all those saying the carpet in The Fit is very low quality. I did not put it down as one of my personal things I do not like, because I was aware of it's cheapness before I purchased from reading forums like this.

I also think most people, myself included, put mats down. So as long as it looks alright, I don't really care how thin it might be.

I would say The Fit almosts demands that you buy some quality mats. I have OEM Honda All-Weather, which are fine. The dealer threw them in the deal for free. I kind of wish I had angled for another freebie and simply bought weathertech mats to start with, from what I've seen I like them better.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
^^ carpet blows, its underpowered as hell cuz i got walked by an EF Hatch with a 1.5 nonvtec, and it gets great mileage unless you want to go somewhere then when you step on it you get like 10 mpg

Old 05-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Carpet does blow. So get mats.
If u got walked by a ef you can't drive..
Even beating the shit out of it I've never gotten less than 28 MPG.. in either of my fits.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:32 PM
So far the only thing i don't like is the paint. Seems like i have more rock chips then any of my other cars.

So far i really like the car, allot, and am actually surprised..lol

Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
BSP paint scratches very easily
Seat upholstery doubles as a lint brush
Interior plastic scratches easily

I guess these things just bother me more with my Fit because it's the first new car I ever bought and I'm trying to keep it in perfect condition. If it were used, I probably wouldn't care as much.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by JeffChap
BSP paint scratches very easily
Seat upholstery doubles as a lint brush
Interior plastic scratches easily

I guess these things just bother me more with my Fit because it's the first new car I ever bought and I'm trying to keep it in perfect condition. If it were used, I probably wouldn't care as much.
Those first dinks and scratches hurt, what can I say.

The BEST thing for keeping those seats clean is a simple micro-fiber cloth. Nothing added, just wipe 'em down and watch all that crap go by the bye.

Can't say I've noticed the interior plastic bits being a problem.

As far as keeping it in "perfect" condition - long ago I settled that one. I don't live in a perfect world, so why try? Good begets Good plain and simple.

Be nice to your FIT and it will be nice to you. Welcome and happy driving.
K_C_

edit: any where near Broken Arrow?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Yeah, you can only keep the dings away for so long and then...suddenly you have a crapload of them all at once...I recommend getting into an argument with another car's bumper and you get perspective on those dings.

As for me, the city I live in has really BAD streets...the ride is damn harsh and noisy...If the Fit had a quieter ride and better paint, it would be my ideal car.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hondaFORlife
Carpet does blow. So get mats.
If u got walked by a ef you can't drive..
Even beating the shit out of it I've never gotten less than 28 MPG.. in either of my fits.
I agree with you completely on these accounts. I beat mine (08 MT Sport) and I still get over 30 mpg when I do. When I don't, I get 36 mpg mixed driving.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks Einstein.

Quick Reply: What you DONT like about your Fit