General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What you DONT like about your Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I'm also used to having my hand at 6 o' clock on the steering wheel.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
My only two complaints at this time... Its not a manual and it doesn't have rear disc brakes... yet.

Originally Posted by TwinReverb
Ok, let me rephrase that. "No stock turbo/super-charging".

I'll wait to do things that void my warranty after the warranty runs out.

The Honda dealership said that tow bar and roof rack are not available and that installing either would void my warranty. I understand that all of these are addressed by aftermarket, but if it's going to void my bumper-to-bumper warranty, I'm not going to do it until the warranty runs out. Really, my gripes are for Honda: if they offer solutions that don't void my warranty, I'll gladly buy said options.
The dealer/tech would have to prove that the aftermarket part was the source of the issue first before denying the warranty claim... (see Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act)... otherwise that's about like saying putting PIAA wiper inserts instead the Honda inserts caused the wiper motor to fail.

Side note: There IS a supercharger for the 2nd generation L-series being released through HPD (Honda Performance Development)... BUT its for the CR-Z and would require at least revised mounting bracket, compressor oil hose lines, piping running the charged/compressed air from the S/C to the throttle body, a new drive belt, and something to run engine management because I highly doubt the PCM will like seeing boost on the stock map if someone were to vaguely attempt to run it... and that's just the tip of the ice berg.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
My biggest complaint is that its black.

If only TW.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Not pleased with carpet in 2010 base model. I have 3 holes in carpet on driver's side towards the hump. Otherwise, very pleased. Also bought a 2013 base for wife.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
did they improve the carpeting by 2013?

Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 PM
My shocks are very noisy with tein lowering springs, but they were noisy with stock springs also. hopefully itll be quieter when i get coilovers.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:32 PM
2010 Carpets

Originally Posted by RabbitJay
Not pleased with carpet in 2010 base model. I have 3 holes in carpet on driver's side towards the hump. Otherwise, very pleased. Also bought a 2013 base for wife.
Don't you have the heavy duty rubber carpets ? or are those the ones with the holes ? JJ

Old 01-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Front shocks & tpms light

Since early 2012 my 2011 FIT shocks come loose or noisy ,both front , once a year , it has happened twice now so I hope it happens again before the warranty expires in 2014. I have learned to accept the TPMS light "ON" for two years now,but I do miss not being able to turn off the pseudo traction control , though.If there has been an update on how to bypass the TPMS , I am not aware of it. JJ

Old 01-02-2014, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
My main complaints about my Fit (which I've owned since April 2006)

The suspension has always been really uncomfortable.

and possibly as a result. The car has recently become more scary at speed.

The Fit always feels like it's on the verge of losing control at interstate speeds. Always fidgety. Always bumpy and skittish.

Not the most confidence inspiring. Especially on snow.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:10 AM
solution to highway discomfort was one inch spacers in back. the steelies stay behind the fender edge, no rubbing with 2inch drop on 195 wide tires, and car surprisingly handles MUCH better

Old 01-04-2014, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
solution to highway discomfort was one inch spacers in back. the steelies stay behind the fender edge, no rubbing with 2inch drop on 195 wide tires, and car surprisingly handles MUCH better
Doubt that's gonna help much.

Ran 205/45 and 205/50-16's all around and it still felt like it was always on the verge of losing it.

My winter setup is honestly a white knuckle experience.

185/65-14 winter tires on +35 offset wheels that push everything right up to the fenders and in the front slightly past.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
There are only two things I don't like about my Fit:

1.) The air conditioner is tied to the defroster. Specifically, when the air selector is set to "windshield/defrost" then the A/C compressor is activated. While I understand the logic of Honda's engineering decision (it's proper procedure to dehumidify the air when the windshield is fogged), there are many situations where dehumidification isn't necessary and additional heat to the windshield would be beneficial instead.

I asked my Honda dealer if they would unplug the A/C wire from the air selector knob. They said "no, because there isn't official procedure from H". Argh. There's a thread here on FitFreak that illustrates the full procedure for the GD Fits (just remove the plastic panel underneath the HVAC controls and disconnect the plug). The procedure for the GE Fits is more complicated, several dashboard pieces must removed to access the same plug (I read another thread here on FitFreak but it had less detailed info).

2.) The daytime running lights don't turn off when the vehicle is shifted into park (A/T). The DRLs activate when the parking brake is released or the transmission is shifted out of park, but they don't deactivate when shifting back into park and setting the handbrake. A car should go dark when shifted into park.

I asked my Honda dealer about this too and they said it's not possible to reprogram the DRL behavior, that it's hard-wired into the electronics. D'oh. I've thought about replacing the DRL fuse with a 12VDC circuit breaker and rerouting the wiring to a switch near the VSA button... but I figure it's better not to mess with the wiring and void the warranty. Just turn off the engine and then restart after parking.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:33 AM
You can do the same AC disable procedure on a GE. It's a little tricky to reach the plug, but I pried it off with a screwdriver instead of trying to fit my fingers in there.

- pop off the trim panel above the power socket and cup holders
- locate the white plug coming off the back of the air direction knob (specifically, behind the two windshield positions)
- reach a flat-tip screwdriver in there and pop it off.
- done. I can now choose AC or not in all positions. The way it should be.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoFits
The Fit always feels like it's on the verge of losing control at interstate speeds. Always fidgety. Always bumpy and skittish.
See the 'Beatrush underpanel' thread linked in my sig. The undertray eliminates 99.9% of the squirreliness at highway speeds. Plus it improves fuel economy. Win win.
Not the most confidence inspiring. Especially on snow.
I have to agree, at least for my 5MT car. It has such a short first gear that it is very difficult to get moving in the snow. It's not bad once underway, but never what I'd call confidence inspiring either. (Maybe I'm spoiled by having another car with AWD and winter tires.)

Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 PM
2013 Fit base 5mt here. Owned it for about 3 months now. Previously I drove a manual transmission 1992 Mazda Miata.

I gotta say I'm still trying to get used to the Fit's clutch. I have stalled the car more times than I care to admit. The best way to describe the clutch feel is that there is very little transition from engagement to disengagement. Some would describe this as the clutch having very little "play". Basically it feels like it's either on or off, very little in between. So starting at a red light I really have to carefully let go on the clutch pedal.

Another thing is the engagement point feels very low on the pedal travel. Basically to me it feels like it's just barely above the floor.

I don't know if it's because it's a brand new clutch(compared to my Miata), or if I just need time to adjust.... either way, I'm definitely not as smooth as when I'm in my Miata.

Other than that, I really can't compliant about the car. Sure I wish it had more power, but as a $16k commuting econobox it really fulfills its mission nicely

Last edited by bighopes; 01-10-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Honestly I HATED the clutch when I first got mine. It just felt very vague. It took a good 5k miles or so before it started feeling a little better to me, I beat it up a little bit before it started feeling better as far as grabbing + I got used to it. Not advising you do the same but just telling you what I did.

My wife still doesn't like the clutch to this day but she rarely drives the car. I would replace the clutch master to delete the delay valve but i'm still under warranty for another 40k miles or so on the drivetrain. Would like to drive a Fit without it to see the difference.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Wish I could get a yellow top optima that was exact fit for my fit so I wouldn't have to modify anything which I won't do anyways.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Compared to the clutch in our Challenger SRT the Fit's clutch is a dream. I do agree that it is a little vague but it's so light that traffic isn't unbearable.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bighopes
I gotta say I'm still trying to get used to the Fit's clutch. I have stalled the car more times than I care to admit.
I've driven hundreds of different cars and trucks with manual transmissions throughout my driving career. I drive two cars with clutches regularly right now. It is not bragging to say that I have a *lot* of experience with clutches. Even with all of that experience I stall the Fit every now and then.

I blame it on the combination of a very short first gear, and the nearly total lack of torque at low RPMs.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone...

After one month in my 2010 Fit Sport, here is my short list of grievances...

1. Road noise..it's really loud inside the car while on the highway.

2. As mentioned by a few others, I find that the low beam headlights are lacking. They cut off at a relatively short distance.

3. Radio reception is fairly weak (I'm in the radio biz so this matters to me!)

4. Would prefer to have a temperature gauge.

5. I wish the height of the driver's seat was adjustable.

6. My biggest "complaint", by far, is all that I've been reading about wheel theft on these cars. I have to park overnight in NYC a few times a week, and this issue concerns me a great deal. I've already invested in two sets of wheel locks, even though their effectiveness is limited at best. I'm trying not to worry about it, but if my wheels get stolen I will be very, very bummed.

Having said all of that...I'm really enjoying the Fit. Fun to drive, good gas mileage, massive storage space. I'm hoping to get ten wonderfully economical years out of it.

Quick Reply: What you DONT like about your Fit