General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

What you DONT like about your Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Longlivetheking
Door locks don't unlock when put in park
Yes they do. Read TFM.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I learned to live with the rear drum brakes,the TPMS light on ,but to this day,the absence of water temp and oil pressure gauges still bother me, a lot. I think what bothers me the most is that I did not notice all of these when I bought the car, was counting on usual Honda standards. JJ

Last edited by jjsifo; 09-03-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Well there is a temp gauge, the hot light just turns on. Most factory temp gauges are very granular anyway and of little use except to tell you that yes indeed you are over heating. I'm sure there is enough leeway in the Fit's temp light before you boil over. It's unlikely a Fit will overheat unless you are being absolutely brutal on the car. In that case you should install a decent gauge anyway. Or your cooling system needs service.

I think the only car I've had that had an oil pressure gauge on the factory dash was built in the early 80s? Nobody puts those in anymore do they? I'd love it if they did.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Gauges

Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Well there is a temp gauge, the hot light just turns on. Most factory temp gauges are very granular anyway and of little use except to tell you that yes indeed you are over heating. I'm sure there is enough leeway in the Fit's temp light before you boil over. It's unlikely a Fit will overheat unless you are being absolutely brutal on the car. In that case you should install a decent gauge anyway. Or your cooling system needs service.

I think the only car I've had that had an oil pressure gauge on the factory dash was built in the early 80s? Nobody puts those in anymore do they? I'd love it if they did.
True, my Accords had a coolant temp gauge, not oil, was probably thinking aircraft I used to fly,anyway I miss that gauge!! it tells in advance when things are not right or give you time to shut engine off before something breaks.(warped cyl. head). My 2011 FIT is running good & cool so far,but the day that light comes on,it is bad news.JJ

Old 09-04-2013, 01:55 AM
Banned
The car manufacturers went to IDIOT LIGHTS instead of analog or digital gauges for engine conditions because the majority of drivers (not anybody on this site right) IGNORED THEM or didn't even read the manual to know what they were ignoring.

Now instead of adding a bunch of gauges all you need to do is buy a "scan gauge" one wire plug in and you can monitor all kinds of parameters of engine operation.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Right. My Scangauge tells me that the Cold Engine light turns off at 125F coolant. I don't know when the HOT light comes on and I hope to never find out. The engine settles in the 180F range, pushing up to 190 only on the hottest Texas days with max AC. My old 96 Civic would be about 200F in normal conditions and up to 210 on hot days. The Fit has a much bigger radiator and seems to manage its temperature better.

Normally I'd agree that we need a gauge, but I just don't think it's that big a loss on this car. (and I have a scangauge)

Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Ultraguage

I drive alot in NYC/NJ so I purchased an ultraguage to avoid a previous experience with overheating in al older car.

I'm more in the 180-212 range while driving arounf town. Most times its around 208 this summer, and 180's all other times...

Definately something to pick up since it will help monitor other things around the car as well.

As for things I hate about the fit......

The seats
the placement of the usb drive
stock lighting
TPMS sensors
my mileage.....(I get the same mileage in a nissan rogue)

but damned if I dont love everything else about it!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:15 AM
Banned
Don't know about GEs but GDs hot light blinks at 215 F. And goes steady red at 225 F.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
I just found another thing that I don't like about my Fit...the fact that the rear windshield defroster doesn't shut off on it's own. Every car I've ever owned (even my old 1972 clunker) had and automatic shut off for the rear defrost.

Last edited by shawnshank; 10-21-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by shawnshank
I just found another thing that I don't like about my Fit...the fact that the rear windshield defroster doesn't shut off on it's own. Every car I've ever owned (even my old 1972 clunker) had and automatic shut off for the rear defrost.
funnily enough this is the single thing I HATE the most with a passion on my s14 silvia, I need it on! stop turning the damn thing off!! So frustrating thinking of rewiring it to a another switch.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM
you wanna know what I hate, aside from the horrible clutch and high revving/gearing down the highway?

the shitty paint.

my car with just over 50k (30k miles), the clear coat completely failed.

honda has switched to a single stage paint. it failed so bad the WHOLE car had to be refinished. Honda covered most of the cost, but it shouldn't happen to a car that has been rust proofed, washed/waxed religiously.....

I know they cut corners to save a buck, but what happens when all mine end up looking like how mine was?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Waizzz
I'm almost two months in of ownership of my 2010, here are my annoyances

-Lights don't turnoff automatically both interior @ exterior

-MPG isn't as great as it could be

-No engine undertray, really???

-Guage cluster plastic is so damn cheap and easily scratched even though I just replaced it

-No steering wheel controls without navi?

-Non-illuminated ignition ring

-No Valet key (I had to get my own made)

-No center arm rest, this is starting to get annoying that I have to constantly buy things that should have come standard lol

To be fair to this car I think I should list the things I like

-Handling is far better than I expected especially with aftermarket wheels/tires/springs

-So much space in such a little package, especially the trunk. With the seats down it turns the car into an SUV in terms of volume

-Instrument illumination at night is really nice

-Acceleration is pretty stout for such a small engine

-Relative low-cost of aftermarket accessories. Coming from a 350Z as my other car everything for my GE is really cheap in comparison

-Door visors, really like them alot and helps to keep the sun out of my eyes
5+ months later and I am really getting alot better MPG's since I have really changed my driving habits.

I also added the Zeta center console and it really improves my driving position and overall comfort

Old 10-22-2013, 02:57 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Nicotine
you wanna know what I hate, aside from the horrible clutch and high revving/gearing down the highway?

the shitty paint.

my car with just over 50k (30k miles), the clear coat completely failed.

honda has switched to a single stage paint. it failed so bad the WHOLE car had to be refinished. Honda covered most of the cost, but it shouldn't happen to a car that has been rust proofed, washed/waxed religiously.....

I know they cut corners to save a buck, but what happens when all mine end up looking like how mine was?

It wasn't Honda's idea to switch painting methods which result in chipping easily paint. ALL MANUFACTURERS have been mandated to reduce emissions in their painting techniques by GOVERNMENTS pushed by the greenies.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Since the Canada Fit is manufacture in a different location then the USA Fit has this been more of a issue in Canada? Any one else having problems or issues with the clear coat? I think I saw one case posted here with a blue one.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Sharp cutoff of the low beam. These are perverse in an area as hilly as here; on a dip they show only a few meters ahead while on a rise they shine into other cars. A more gradual fade would let them work in more situations. Honda just failed on this one.

The manual transmission gearing far too low for a freeway trip. Even just changing the final drive ratio would work since 1st is so incredibly low.

The sun shield is near useless. I'm getting used to that since they get smaller every year.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Try different (better) bulbs. I switched to Osram Nightbreakers and the cutoff is very noticeable, but it allowed me to raise the beams high enough to shine pretty far down the road without glaring oncoming traffic or cars in front of me much.

Unless you're in a slammed 80s or 90s Civic. Sorry bro.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:45 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Sprocket
the manual transmission gearing far too low for a freeway trip. Even just changing the final drive ratio would work since 1st is so incredibly low.

The range of RPM at speed is just where it needs to be to get the best mileage honda doesn't guess about things like this they put a bunch of R&D dollars into it.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by loudbang
The range of RPM at speed is just where it needs to be to get the best mileage honda doesn't guess about things like this they put a bunch of R&D dollars into it.
The automatic gets better highway mileage in part by having higher gearing. At 63mph the manual runs at 3,000 rpm and the automatic at 2,250 rpm.

I'm sure they put a bunch of R&D dollars into it. They just had different goals which I cannot identify.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Try different (better) bulbs. I switched to Osram Nightbreakers and the cutoff is very noticeable, but it allowed me to raise the beams high enough to shine pretty far down the road without glaring oncoming traffic or cars in front of me much.
Do you know if the Nightbreakers have a smaller or different shield under the low-beam filament?

I think the H4 bulb design is great -- the shield inside the bulb puts low-beam light only on the top of the car's reflector while the high-beam filament shines 360x360 degrees. One Stanley H4 reflector on a Honda motorcycle had a gap between high beam and low so I switched to a reflector made by CandlePower and the patterns were much better. I occasionally ride all night so light is important, even the low beam.

I suspect that all H4 bulbs have identical shields under the low-beam filament, but if there's a bulb with a smaller shield or with the shield and filament shifted a little bit then the pattern could be far different. Still depends on the car's reflector.

I can drive a mile here and the low beam is too low 1/3 of the time and too high 1/3 of the time (and approximately correct 1/3). It's not an issue of aiming the headlight -- higher would be more wrong 1/3 of the time and lower would be more wrong 1/3 of the time.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Well, I don't remember exactly comparing the bulbs, but I do believe the Osram bulb was a little smaller, I didn't look at the internals much.

I will say though, that it's not a huge difference in light output, the light is whiter though, it is that the beam is more tightly focused, so there must be some differences in the design between the OEM bulbs and the Osrams. The tight focus really cuts through the dark, especially after I raised the beams some, and that tighter focus allows you to raise the beams without a lot of glare "on top". I do a lot of driving on mountain highways at night with NO streetlights and they really do wonders. Even my wife was impressed and she had to admit it was a big improvement.

I was slightly worried about them burning out fast as i've experienced with Silverstars in the past, especially with DRLs on all day, but it's been over a year and they're still going strong. If I can get 2 years out of them i'll be happy. They're not that expensive anyway.

Quick Reply: What you DONT like about your Fit