General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
I think aero - or the lack thereof - is what's killing mileage for the Fit. Pretty big frontal area for a small car, and the abrupt square hatch just mean lots of drag. I think Honda tried to address this a little bit with the 09+ cars by lopping off a little of the tail, but I think that just made the car less utilitarian.

I'm one of the folks who would love a 6th gear for highway cruising at a lower RPM. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to shift to 6th already, and I've owned the car for 3.5 years now... Being able to knock 500-1000 RPM off the highway cruise would help keep the revs below vtec and maybe add a couple mpg. Oh well.

HF

Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by HEMI-Fit
I think aero - or the lack thereof - is what's killing mileage for the Fit. Pretty big frontal area for a small car, and the abrupt square hatch just mean lots of drag. I think Honda tried to address this a little bit with the 09+ cars by lopping off a little of the tail, but I think that just made the car less utilitarian.

I'm one of the folks who would love a 6th gear for highway cruising at a lower RPM. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to shift to 6th already, and I've owned the car for 3.5 years now... Being able to knock 500-1000 RPM off the highway cruise would help keep the revs below vtec and maybe add a couple mpg. Oh well.

HF
Well U may get UR wish....this from AutoGuide: "One big change [for 2012] are aerodynamic upgrades (inspired by the upcoming Fit Hybrid) that will help the car achieve better fuel economy. Currently the Fit gets as much as 35-mpg highway and this small improvement should increase that to 36-mpg.
Also of note is a six-speed manual on an RS performance model. That same transmission could become standard equipment in the Fit, helping boost highway fueleconomy from 33-mpg (for manual models) up to 35-mpg." So if I read this right, we R talking about: aero upgrade + 6spd = 3mpg increase. I get around town an average of 35.5mpg so with 2012 model 38.5mpg is possible around town with >40mpg on hwy everything else being equal.. With regard to the latter, RichXKU notes that the tune of the current Fit L15 VTEC is for performance and the gearing in fifith is creating relatively high revs. So what is also needed for this 6spd is a higher gearing resulting in significantly lower revs in top gear. It appears that they are not doing this for only a 1mpg increase for the 6spd tranny suggests Honda is not changing top gear all that much.
Bottom Line: Honda, in the future, is going to keep the Fit "sporty" and the Fit Hybrid be the car going for high fuel economy.

Later, Ken

Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Just filled up my 2011 Fit (Base Model/MT) for the first time today...

First Fill-up @ 307.9 mi
gallons used: 8.019
calculated MPG: 38.39
indicated MPG: 34.9

My commute is 35.7 mi each way of mostly highway (50/50 hills and straights) so anything above 36 is awesome for my wallet, and nothing beats $33.35 @ $4.15/gallon to fill 3/4 of the tank.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
09 Fit Sport 5-speed.

I checked the Gas mileage gas after 2,000+ miles and it was 38.4 (indicated). That's mostly shorter trips in semi-rural area.
I typically can get 40+ when I drive it to work (wife's car), 30 miles one way mixture on mostly rural, some highway, then urban.

I once got 47.5 (indicated) on a 3-hr trip (with elevation loss). That's my best for a long trip.

The other day, I was 1/2 way home, so at a stop at 15 miles into the 30 mile trip, I zero'd the odo and got 63.7mpg (indicated) for the remaining 15 miles, a personal best record. Of course, the engine was warmed up. That with no effective elevation loss or gain.

I have not checked the gage to see how accurate it is.

John

Old 05-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Wow...that is certainly higher than most get! I note that UR's is an '09'...wonder what the curb weight is as well as OEM tune for U to get that much higher mileage...unless U R hypermileing...going in neutral down hills, etc.

Later, Ken

Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by fitJR
09 Fit Sport 5-speed.

I have not checked the gage to see how accurate it is.
Check your gage first and then report back. Most '09 will read 10-15% high on the gage until software is updated . Look in the TSB sticky for details.

IMO this thread should only post mpg calculated at the pump. Anything else is meaningless as too much variance between cars.

_

Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Check your gage first and then report back. Most '09 will read 10-15% high on the gage until software is updated . Look in the TSB sticky for details.

IMO this thread should only post mpg calculated at the pump. Anything else is meaningless as too much variance between cars.

_
You are right about checking the gage, but it's my wife's car and I drive it so infrequently. My wife said she did check it the other day and it was close.

My own car (04 Civic), I have a ScanGauge II and have it pretty well dialed in. My I looked at the TSB and it does not list the Fit Sport M/T?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by fitJR
You are right about checking the gage, but it's my wife's car and I drive it so infrequently. My wife said she did check it the other day and it was close.

My own car (04 Civic), I have a ScanGauge II and have it pretty well dialed in. My I looked at the TSB and it does not list the Fit Sport M/T?
Didn't notice that before. Typo omission in TSB as should have included Sport on M/T row. Fit M/T and Fit Sport M/T share the same program same as Fit A/T and Fit Sport A/T share another.

Anyway my car is Sport M/T and I had my program updated just last month. Previously mpg gage was min 6mpg over actual, after re-program it has been accurate to within 1 mpg.

_

Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 AM

_
I couldn't have said it better.

I'm seeing 38+ now that the winter blend seems to have filtered through the stations. The highway numbers are and have always been lower than my local driving, summer is better than winter.

Calculating the MPG at the pump is the only way to know how your Fit is doing - the other 'tools' are only averages of averages.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I couldn't have said it better.

I'm seeing 38+ now that the winter blend seems to have filtered through the stations. The highway numbers are and have always been lower than my local driving, summer is better than winter.

Calculating the MPG at the pump is the only way to know how your Fit is doing - the other 'tools' are only averages of averages.
Yes, winter will always have lower mileage than summer...ECU richens for more dense air intake.

Later, Ken

Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Had 63avg to 1/2 tank last week. New tires are starting to get happy

Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM
etf
5 Year Member

_
If only everybody used Fuelly.com

Last February, I started recording my gauge readout when I fill up. After 19 fill ups, Gauge average = 37.3 mpg; Actual average = 36.4 mpg. My gauge is only 2% off.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member

Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
That's just nutty, Paul! The highest I've ever gotten isn't even on the bottom of your scale! Congrats, man...

Clair

Last edited by HEMI-Fit; 06-07-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Unless you are driving everywhere at 20 MPH, these are whacko numbers. I've never seen other MPG numbers like this on my own '08 Fit or on several others that I have personal knowledge of.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by rodpaine
Unless you are driving everywhere at 20 MPH, these are whacko numbers. I've never seen other MPG numbers like this on my own '08 Fit or on several others that I have personal knowledge of.
^agree with this...must B hypermiling...coasting in neutral whenever possible...speeds at 50 or less...etc....40's possible but only under these conditions/driving methods.

Later, Ken

Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RichXKU
Unfortunately Honda is going the OPPOSITE direction with the Fit final drives. From the GD3 to the GE8, the MT final drive has gotten even shorter. Remember, with the Fit, peppiness and sportiness take top priority over fuel consumption. That has been working extremely well in the US where people think 30 MPG is fantastic.

Regarding the 6MT... In every vehicle I've seen that has gone from a 5 to 6 speed or had both available, 6th gear in the 6MT has been very similar to 5th in the 5MTs. Automakers believe those in the US who choose manual only want performance, and prioritize "not having to downshift on a hill" over "3 extra MPG".
Honda prefers you buy a Civic Hybrid, Insight or CR-Z if you want better fuel economy.

Regarding Hyundai... again, it's all in the transmission gearing and engine tuning. I don't have the ratios for the Elantra, but I think it comes out to being about 1000 RPM lower than the Fit would be on the highway. Also, the Elantra has an extremely low coefficient of drag with that swoopy shape. That counts a lot with todays tough, high speed EPA testing.

One final thing to ponder: A Civic Si only gets 2-3 MPG better on the highway than a 5.7L Corvette 6MT throughout the years. Engine size and vehicle weight is irrelevant when proper gearing and aerodynamics come into play. All lightness does is up your city MPG a bit. Honda has chosen to ignore the former until this year, when competition is about to bite their rear.
Very informative..Thanks

Noob question: transmission gearing/engine tuning - (what modifications can be done)

Another thing with honda is if the fit was created for "peppiness and sportiness" why didn't
they gave it more hp? (honda civic has 140hp)

And honda's advertising for the fit was high mpg..

Last edited by phenoyz; 06-10-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
I've been getting about 33 - 35 mpg 50/50 city and highway.

Light footed most of the time, spirited driving when its needed.

It's not bad.. about average I guess but, could be better???

btw. Answer this questions if you've experienced this before.
Any owners take their Fit to the track or just go mad out spirited driving and see that the gas level drop dramatically?

I see it drop dramatically... so whats the deal with this? Fuel pumps taking in too much gas? what is it?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 AM
throttle calls for more fuel to compensate for increased air intake...injectors oblige...U get more power...simple as that.

Later, Ken

Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 AM
I did a 313 mile interstate trip through the mountains (on one tank of course). I used the recomended 85 octane (not E85) because of the altitude. I used 8.01 gallons! I do coast on the steep downhill grades when it's safe. Hopefully I will keep better records on my return trip across the country.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)