General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shudderbug
I'm sure it would; however, my initial message was in reply to someone who inquired why the mileage estimates on this topic were not more precise. The gas credit card receipts registers gallons used, out to three decimal places, and my spreadsheet already rounds those figure down to two digits, when I log every tank. I just posted the calculations that had already been done.
No, it's not that they aren't calculated to enough decimal places; it's just that an AVERAGE should be a single number, not a range of numbers. A range of numbers is not an average.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fitty McFit
No, it's not that they aren't calculated to enough decimal places; it's just that an AVERAGE should be a single number, not a range of numbers. A range of numbers is not an average.
Perhaps you are mistaking me for someone else. I never said a range of numbers is an average. I posted my mileage numbers accurate to two digits, and you said one digit would suffice. Does my posting to two digits create a problem for you?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shudderbug
Perhaps you are mistaking me for someone else.
No, I'm not mistaking you for anyone else. You are the one who said: "my initial message was in reply to someone who inquired why the mileage estimates on this topic were not more precise", correct? See, that "someone" was me, and you misunderstood my point. An average should be precise in the sense of being precisely one number, as opposed to a range of numbers. You appear to have mistakenly thought I meant precise in the sense of having two decimal places, which I never said nor implied.
I never said a range of numbers is an average.
I didn't say you did. I simply explained what my original point was, which you didn't seem to grasp initially.

I posted my mileage numbers accurate to two digits, and you said one digit would suffice. Does my posting to two digits create a problem for you?
Not in and of itself, but the fact that you didn't understand my first post, and responded to a point I never made, created a problem, which I remedied by explaining it to you. Is that a problem for you?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:36 PM
[quote=Fitty McFit;170124]No, I'm not mistaking you for anyone else. You are the one who said: "my initial message was in reply to someone who inquired why the mileage estimates on this topic were not more precise", correct? See, that "someone" was me, and you misunderstood my point. An average should be precise in the sense of being precisely one number, as opposed to a range of numbers. You appear to have mistakenly thought I meant precise in the sense of having two decimal places, which I never said nor implied.
I didn't say you did. I simply explained what my original point was, which you didn't seem to grasp initially.

Not in and of itself, but the fact that you didn't understand my first post, and responded to a point I never made, created a problem, which I remedied by explaining it to you. Is that a problem for you?

Your point was that many of the responses to mileage requests were to a range of number, and that is not precise. I then gave you my VERY PRECISE FIGURES, rounded off to two decimal places, to which you responded by saying that "one decimal place would be sufficient." Duh!
The only question for you is? Were my numbers precise, or weren't they? Can you answer that?

Old 08-30-2007, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
Bye bye, troll.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Your point was that many of the responses to mileage requests were to a range of number, and that is not precise. I then gave you my VERY PRECISE FIGURES, rounded off to two decimal places, to which you responded by saying that "one decimal place would be sufficient." Duh!
The only question for you is? Were my numbers precise, or weren't they? Can you answer that?

Originally Posted by Fitty McFit
Bye bye, troll.
Obviously, you can't answer that!

Old 09-02-2007, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
I thought I'd post up a little summary of my mileage so far. I started posting my mileage when I got the car, but I didnt keep up with it. Now, with 79XX miles, up until the last 2 tanks, I am probably at around an average of 32mpg. I'll have to go back and check my records, but I think that's about right. My lowest and only tank below 30mpg was 29.2 mpg and that included like 3 hours of 2mph traffic jam. My usual tanks are around 33, but around 6 or 7 weeks ago, I started getting alot of 30, 31 tanks, even though my driving/route/habits/gas station didnt change at all. So I did the idle learn procedure, and 2 tanks later, I got a 37.5, and a 35.5, which were my last 2 tanks. On the 37.5, I actually had the a/c going pretty much the entire trip since I had the GF in the car.

All in all, I'm totally happy with the mileage. Even more so now that I got those 2 really high tanks, which I am hoping I can repeat more before we start getting the crappy, mpg lowering winter fuel mixes at the pumps in november.

I'm still hoping to break 40mpg, which could come in 3 weeks when I head to ohio.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by 743power
I thought I'd post up a little summary of my mileage so far. I started posting my mileage when I got the car, but I didnt keep up with it. Now, with 79XX miles, up until the last 2 tanks, I am probably at around an average of 32mpg. I'll have to go back and check my records, but I think that's about right. My lowest and only tank below 30mpg was 29.2 mpg and that included like 3 hours of 2mph traffic jam. My usual tanks are around 33, but around 6 or 7 weeks ago, I started getting alot of 30, 31 tanks, even though my driving/route/habits/gas station didnt change at all. So I did the idle learn procedure, and 2 tanks later, I got a 37.5, and a 35.5, which were my last 2 tanks. On the 37.5, I actually had the a/c going pretty much the entire trip since I had the GF in the car.

All in all, I'm totally happy with the mileage. Even more so now that I got those 2 really high tanks, which I am hoping I can repeat more before we start getting the crappy, mpg lowering winter fuel mixes at the pumps in november.

I'm still hoping to break 40mpg, which could come in 3 weeks when I head to ohio.
I've only gotten over 40 MPG once (actually 43.98) but that was the first tank that included almost total highway driving. The tank before it, I got only 33.59 which included a lot of highway, but I think it was low because I used the cruise control in the hills. I've been told that is not such a good idea.

A question for you though, I'm curious, what is the "idle learn" procedure that you spoke of? I'm not familiar with that. Thanks for any response.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Black Sport 5MT '07

First tank, from dealer
257.9 miles/8.923 gallons = 28.9MPG - Mixed, mainly city, A/C on

Second tank, I didn't write down the numbers, but with 2 passengers, and A/C on, it was only 22.3 mpg (???)

181.6 miles/5.577 gallons = 32.56MPG - Mixed, mainly city, A/C on
240.7 miles/8.309 gallons = 28.97MPG - City, A/C on

Does mileage usually improve after "break-in"? How many miles, generally, is the "break-in" period considered to be?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 AM
1st tank on a 07 Sport MT w/ HFP Wheels and 205 Potenza rubber. I shift between 3-4K

33.6MPG

Old 09-08-2007, 11:34 AM
First Tank

I got 37.2 mpg on my first tank. A/C on most of the time and 70/30 highway/city.

Decreases in winter gas mileage could be from the drop in fuel quality in winter, less energy per gallon. Also California has crappy gas too from what I've read.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:48 AM
first 2 tanks mixed driving 50/50 city/hwy 38.1MPG.

anything above 35Mph on flat road I'm in fifth.. I drive mostly going 60mph on the highway I don't slow down much for curves. I rarely make complete stops. Always leave it in 4th or 5th when coasting often right to a stoplight (or 1000rpm) I'm a very fuel efficient driver with the fit. I do i to make up for the 9MPG I get in my fun car.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
fuel blends? altitude? humidity? temperature? terrain? head/tailwind? who knows.

Just returned from a road trip from Central TX to NM, CO and back.

My base MT Fit is 1 yr old. Vehicle had 14K on it when we left and we drove a little over 2700 miles on the trip.

I keep the tires at recommended 32-34 psi.

Have been getting consistent 40mph driving mostly hwy here at home.

In TX "regular" unleaded is 87 octane and the gas I buy has no ethanol in it.

In NM "regular" unleaded is 86 octane so I bought "mid-grade" which is 88, because the Fit manual says don't go below 87.

In CO "regular" unleaded is 85 octane so I bought "mid-grade" which is 87 but all the gas I bought in CO contained ethanol, I believe 10%.

MPG results:
We got 40+ mpg on the TX blend westbound, 37+mpg eastbound.
We got 42+ on one tank and 43+ on the other using NM blend.
We got 42+ on one tank and 43+ on the other using CO blend.

What does this mean?

1. The gas formulas are different.
2. Gas in TX is hotter than gas in CO or NM, so less dense when pumped, hence less Btus per volume unit.
3. We coasted every chance we got in those mts. Apparently the energy required to climb hills is more than offset by that recaptured by coasting whenever possible.
4. Headwind/tailwind is a big deal with a hi profile vehicle like the Fit, and it is more of a problem in the flatlands (for mpg, anyway).
5. We drove 70-80mpg in the [dull and boring] flatlands, and slower in the [scenic/treacherous] hilly terrain (except a few times we coasted really fast just for fun).
6. We used AC in TX and far east NM, then didn't need it in rest of NM or CO, and used it again on return trip.
7. 10,000 ft of elevation can make a difference in fuel combustion efficiency (?)
8. Humidity (stifling here in TX, absent in CO and NM) can make a difference in fuel combustion efficiency (?)

With so many variables (and folks in this forum could probably add some more to my list) I am just pleased that my little car ate so little on this trip. It performed marvelously well, took those hills like a champ despite its first year in the flatlands of central TX, carried a stunning amount of baggage, was not hurt when caught in a nasty hailstorm (I do not recommend this however)--and delivered us home safely.

Great little car.

Last edited by ifitfitz; 09-10-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 PM
First 5 Tanks

Gallons___P/Gal___Miles____Miles/Type__MPG
12.250___2.859___435.2___50/50______35.53
12.095___2.799___456.0___50/50______37.7
12.207___2.619___445.9___50/50______36.53
12.225___2.639___449.4___50/50______36.76
12.269___2.779___452.6___50/50______36.89

NOTE: AC on all the time...
I think I see a pattern ...

Cappy

Last edited by mr-cappy; 09-11-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Average 35 MPG

I purchased my M/T base fit in February from a dealer with 7 miles on the odometer. I'm over 10K miles I have tracked every fill up and average 35.41 MPG. I drive 80% hwy (70 mph) and use 87 octane with the AC always on. I'm very pleased.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Mileage better than anticipated

These mileage forums were invaluable to me when I was choosing which economy car to buy this past summer. I chose the Honda Fit (manual), based on mileage reports and "fun factor" and have been quite happy. Thought I'd pass on my results to help others in their decision making.

I picked up my Fit on July 4th weekend (after a 6 week wait). Over the past few months, I have gone over 4000 miles, mostly commuting to work. I check and log the mileage and fuel used at each fill-up. So far my overall average is 41.6 MPG, better than I had expected. I am basically a conservative driver, 65MPH on the highway, but not afraid to put my foot into it occasionally when merging or passing. My first tank was 38.2 MPG and steadily increasing since then, with a max of 43.2 MPG.

Other details:
Fit Sport 5MT
42 PSI in the tires
Some work junk in the back (50 lbs)
50% I-90 Mass Pike / 40% Suburban / 10% City
25% AC (or less)
10% ethanol blend here in smoggy MA
Always 400+ miles per tank, typical fill is about 9.5 gal (fuel light is on)

Waiting to see what winter gas blend & cold starts (soon) and snow tires (Dec 15 or so - a must in Western MA) do to stunt the great run of gas mileage numbers I've had.

Thanks to all the Fit Forum users for sharing their info; it helped me make a solid decision.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
My MPG avg. so far is 32.1! It's about 80% city driving.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
ive been revving and driving around going 80/90mph. I still get 30mpg avg.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
i got 2798 miles on my car and i still dont know how much MPG i get ...

Old 10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Talking Gas Mileage

I cannot speak for anyone else but I have noticed keeping a steady pressure on the gas pedal as well as keeping your RPM'S as low as you can gave me the best gas mileage! This is easier said then done but I have found releasing and pressing the gas pedal multiple times eats alot more gas then having a constant pressure on the pedal. Again I think it just simply comes down to your RPM'S...the more revolutions your engine has to turn your fuel management system will compensate by increasing the fuel flow as well as your engine will be sucking in more air!!
This is all probably first grade stuff but next time you are driving pay attention to how many times you release and press your gas pedal. You will suprised, sometimes you are doing it more often then not. If you do need to speed up or vice versa I have been gradually pressing the pedal verses completely pressing at once. Our Vtec kicks in around 3,500 / 3,700 RPM meaning more air flow = more gas compensation. Any shifting over 4 grand IMAO eats alot more gas. Again I cannot always shift at 4 grand but when I am trying to save gas this is what I do. I hope this helps.

GD3blaze07'

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)