General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009 | 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Mr5by5: Second Fill-up

Filled-up the new '09 base Fit Automatic for 2nd time yesterday:
Total miles = 876
Miles this Tank = 391
Gallons to Fill = 9.2
Calc. MPG = 42.5 (!)
20% stop-n-go, 40% "country" (45-55MPH), 40% expressway (Scan-gage says Max. speed was 61 MPH, Avg. 38 MPH) on this tankful.

The "Avg. MPG" on Honda Milage Minder popped right up to 48.3 as soon as I went from 28 to 36 PSI in tires and stayed there +/- .3 for the entire tankful. I plugged-in my Scan-gage after last fill-up and "Current Avg." MPG was very close to calculated milage. (I forgot to enter "fill-up" at start though so "Tank Avg." was way off!)
Bumps are a little harsher at 36PSI tire pressure but not bad at all considering this is a 2500lb. automobile! After a few tankfuls at 36 PSI I will go to 40PSI...

Old 08-30-2009 | 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Hello all:
Here are posted my results. LINK

Sorry for the link, as I posted in the general FIT forum. I think that my data also refer to the accuracy of the computer calculated MPG.

Hydro

Old 08-31-2009 | 10:38 PM
TO EVERYBODY THATS POSTING YOUR NUMBERS:

DON'T POST WHAT YOUR FIT SAYS!
ONLY HAND CALCULATIONS PLEASE......

and yes i'm yelling because I'm sick of seeing people post what these false computers are telling us. these aren't jetta tdi's! nobody is getting 50 with an automatic @ freeway speeds...sorry

Old 08-31-2009 | 11:00 PM
Mpg 41.4, 43.1

First two tanks through my 09 Fit base AT. 41.4 MPG, 43.1. Very nice car! 335.3 miles and 7.78 gallons. Computer said 43.9 so it is pretty accurate. 90% highway commute with half of the miles done by my daughter. The automatic transmission is amazing. 2200 rpm at 60mph. Wish it had a bigger tank though. It won't quite make it a week. My 01 insight is around 62 mpg for the 4 years I've had it. 67 mpg summer and 58 through the winter slush so I am used to big numbers but the Fit is beyond my dreams (and the economy sticker which states 29-35).

Old 08-31-2009 | 11:28 PM
For you guys posting numbers in the low 40s, are you filling to the point of the nozzel's click or going a bit deeper and squeezn it another couple of times?

Old 09-01-2009 | 06:58 AM
Originally Posted by dankstang
TO EVERYBODY THATS POSTING YOUR NUMBERS:

DON'T POST WHAT YOUR FIT SAYS!
ONLY HAND CALCULATIONS PLEASE......

and yes i'm yelling because I'm sick of seeing people post what these false computers are telling us. these aren't jetta tdi's! nobody is getting 50 with an automatic @ freeway speeds...sorry
Take a deep breath, dankstang !!! It will be OK !!!

I'm with you and you can add manual trannys too............some of these guys think the manual actually makes gas, as it goes. Nobodys getting 50 mpg, even if they live in a state that is all downhill. I've had guys send me pics of their trip meter showing 50+ ....... Reset it, coast along and take a pic ............ Dee Dee Deee !!!!!! I could show one at 70 mpg!!!

Living in PA with the mountains, I figured maybe terrain had some to do with the claims. Even when you look at the numbers from some of the "flat" states, they don't show any crazy MPG gains.

I probably drive as conservatively (not hypermiling) as any person on this website and have no fantasy of coming close to some these numbers being claimed. As I have said before, if Honda knew these cars were getting the kind of mileage claimed, the EPA numbers would never have been released as they were.

Old 09-01-2009 | 08:07 AM
50+ on a long trip will be no problem

Originally Posted by Daelb
For you guys posting numbers in the low 40s, are you filling to the point of the nozzel's click or going a bit deeper and squeezn it another couple of times?
I let the gas pump click off and then squeeze twice more. But it doesn't really matter. As long as you do it the same every time. Averaging 3-4 back to back tanks totally eliminates any discrepensies in the fill up procedure but I don't get to drive the car exclusively. My daughter made her trip yesterday in good weather and the computer is only showing 39. If I drove on a long trip and was in no hurry I could easily beat 50 mpg. I know how to draft politely and safely, you don't have to get too close to get a big lift, the drafts extends back for 40 yards. I also know how to coast between lights. Every time you step on the brakes you are wasting gas. The AT is very impressive around town. Honda did a great job with the final gearing and the programming. The Fit AT will happily motor along at 1300rpm unlike other cars that constantly choose a lower gear and refuse to shift up before 1800rpm. The dominance of the manual trans is over. Honda has shown that a good AT can actually beat it. I have become a hypermilager since I got my Insight right before gas went to it's sll time high 3 years ago. it is the new form of performance driving. Most people race the clock. I race the pump. To me, it is just as challenging and fun, and greener, to produce big mpg numbers as a quick lap time.

Old 09-01-2009 | 10:41 AM
OK so what am i doing wrong? I'm only getting 30mpg on my AT Sport.
I'm seeing high 30's from most of you on this thread. I drive pretty normal
in town and a bit on the freeway to work. Have not done a full tank on just highway driving but it seems that i should be getting better gas mileage. I've checked the psi on the tires and they at 34psi. I drive to try and get the best mpg but at the end of the tank and at fill up I'm at 30mpg (my calculation) the on board computer is always 2-3mpg over what i calculate. Anybody care to chime in and give me some advice.

Old 09-01-2009 | 11:35 AM
AC eats gas

Originally Posted by acampanaro
OK so what am i doing wrong? I'm only getting 30mpg on my AT Sport.
I'm seeing high 30's from most of you on this thread. I drive pretty normal
in town and a bit on the freeway to work. Have not done a full tank on just highway driving but it seems that i should be getting better gas mileage. I've checked the psi on the tires and they at 34psi. I drive to try and get the best mpg but at the end of the tank and at fill up I'm at 30mpg (my calculation) the on board computer is always 2-3mpg over what i calculate. Anybody care to chime in and give me some advice.
AC eats up gas. Try to use the lowest fan speed to minimize the compressor run cycles and aim the outlets right at your face to keep cool in Fla. Switch to recirc when the car gets to temperature.
Know your commute. don't bother racing up to a light that you know will be red when you get there. Every time you touch the brakes you are wasting gas.
Watch your economy bar graph as you drive and you will see how hard you can charge up the on ramps with out the mpgs taking a dive. Try to ease up and coast when your off ramp is coming. These AT cars coast a LOOOONG WAY.
If you really want to get fussy, you can shut the engine off at longer stop lights.The AC will still feel cool for quite a while even with the engine off.
Hypermilage can be a fun alternative to cut and thrust performance driving and give you a sense of pride as more people start to think green.

Old 09-01-2009 | 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by sendler
AC eats up gas. Try to use the lowest fan speed to minimize the compressor run cycles and aim the outlets right at your face to keep cool in Fla. Switch to recirc when the car gets to temperature.
Know your commute. don't bother racing up to a light that you know will be red when you get there. Every time you touch the brakes you are wasting gas.
Watch your economy bar graph as you drive and you will see how hard you can charge up the on ramps with out the mpgs taking a dive. Try to ease up and coast when your off ramp is coming. These AT cars coast a LOOOONG WAY.
If you really want to get fussy, you can shut the engine off at longer stop lights.The AC will still feel cool for quite a while even with the engine off.
Hypermilage can be a fun alternative to cut and thrust performance driving and give you a sense of pride as more people start to think green.
Thanks for your input Sendler.

I do all this but i do run the ac pretty much all the time (it is hot down here).
I would like to know if anybody else with an AT is getting the same MPG as i do.
I'm trying to squeeze the best MPG and i still can't get over 30mpg.
if you all are getting high 30's then i want to get the car looked at and see if something needs tweaking (tire balance, alignment, engine running to rich ect.).
don't get me wrong 30mpg in city/highway driving is pretty good but i want moremoremore mpg if i can.
Anybody.....

Old 09-01-2009 | 01:44 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
^ my last tank was my worst one yet, not even 25 mpg. It's hot here too, humid, have to run the AC, and that was pretty much all city driving. I am not a hypermiler but neither do I speed up to the stoplights and then jam on the brakes. I drive like a normal person. My tires are at 35 psi and the car feels like it's rolling on rocks.

I think it has more to do with the gas formulation than it does our cars - gas with ethanol does earn worse mileage, quite a bit worse.

Old 09-01-2009 | 01:47 PM
Don't bother taking it to the dealer

Originally Posted by acampanaro
Thanks for your input Sendler.

I do all this but i do run the ac pretty much all the time (it is hot down here).
I would like to know if anybody else with an AT is getting the same MPG as i do.
I'm trying to squeeze the best MPG and i still can't get over 30mpg.
if you all are getting high 30's then i want to get the car looked at and see if something needs tweaking (tire balance, alignment, engine running to rich ect.).
don't get me wrong 30mpg in city/highway driving is pretty good but i want moremoremore mpg if i can.
Anybody.....
Don't bother taking it to the dealer I'm sure there is nothing wrong with your car. 30mpg combined with the AC on is fine. Hot weather makes the AC work harder and rain drops the mileage as well. The people posting in this thread will tend to have higher numbers than usual. Many people who get 30 probably don't bother to post. Any one posting numbers over 40 is all highway and I leave the AC off unless I have passengers because I work in a hot shop anyway so I am used to it.

Old 09-01-2009 | 07:30 PM
I got 35.5 mpg on my last tank (the computer on the fit said 38.6)! About 80% city (bad city, i.e. tons of stop and go because the lights are synced very badly, occasional slamming on the brakes because people in the city drive like lunatics). I only have 700 miles on it, right now, so that makes me hopeful for the future!

We have ethanol in all our gas here (St. Louis), so I think that's pretty spankin' good, especially when it's not broken in. I got a Fuelly account so I can fully dork out and look at statistics as much as I want.

I keep forgetting to check the tire pressure, but I'll have to do it soon, the temperature has probably dropped 20 degrees here in the past few days, and I don't trust that the dealership did it right, anyway.

Edit: After this, I decided to go check the tires. They were all at an even 32 psi (I have a base, so that's right where it should be). Good to know that the dealership did check them out, it looks like. I went ahead and put them up to 35, just out of curiosity. If the ride is crazy rough, I'll take them back down.

Last edited by chloeishere; 09-01-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2009 | 08:35 PM
34.7 for her

Ok so my daughter just filled up after two round trips to school plus some running around. 194 miles and 5.584 gallons for 34.7 if that makes any one feel any better to see the difference between drivers in the same car. I can do about 20% better on the same stretch of road when I go down to see my son at the same school.

Old 09-01-2009 | 08:56 PM
its all good man...im getting around 27ish driving 70 city 30 highway...i drive AC off and semi aggressive, rev up to 3k/4k and once in a while i go full VTEC...i just gave up...a few more dolla's at the pump not worth my frustration trying to hypermilage...27mpg is pretty good already, at least im having fun driving it.

Old 09-02-2009 | 12:01 PM
I just wanted to state and leave for questioning about how to figure miles per gallon.
I see that people are playing with the pump triger and guestimating gas in tank. I figure, Stick to the numbers and do the math.

1. Don't try to figure out how much gas is in your tank.
2. Don't bother with the display on the dash.

3. Go to a modern brand name gas station.
4. Fill up your tank unitl it stops the first time.
4a. Remember the pump #, and the appox spot and position your car was in.
4b. Reset the odometer before you pull away.
5. Drive your car like you normaly would.
5a. Don't let it idle for more than 1-2 min when parked or waiting (except traffic, lights, you have no choice).
5a. Abort mission if your incure any abnormal driving/traffic conditions during that time. Start over.
6. When gas light comes on go to the same gas station, same pump # and park in the same position (so the gas hose is stretch to the same lenght and postion).
7. Fill up you tank until the pump stops the first time.
7a. Record the tacomter display of miles driven.
7b. Record the exact amount of gasoline purchased by the pump display.
7c. = MPG = 7a / 7b. (Do the math, use your cell phone.)
Ex. 407.3 miles driven
11.131 gallons of gas pumped
MPG = 36.59

Last edited by Jzone99; 09-02-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-02-2009 | 05:00 PM
Smile 2008 Fit Sport 40.2mpg & 40.4mpg

Details:

302.4 miles on 7.523 gals = 40.20 mpg

303.6 miles on 7.523 gals = 40.36 mpg

1st time it's crested 40 mpg - it's now just over 18,600 total miles.

Old 09-02-2009 | 11:04 PM
Mine is doing so well that I am going to have protective film installed down the whole side under the gas cap.

It's actually making it's own gas, overflowing and staining the side of my car.

What would my mileage be calculated at?

Old 09-03-2009 | 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
Averaging about 35 MPG for the past couple of tanks.

NS

Old 09-08-2009 | 09:19 AM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Finally, 40+ mpg

My commute used to be 10 very urban miles each way, taking nearly 40 minutes. I averaged about 24 mpg. About a month ago, I moved, and now my commute is 30 highway miles each way, though sometimes it's congested. I've been averaging about 36 mpg. Yesterday, I filled up for just over 40 mpg! Going 60 instead of 75 seems to have made the difference.

So the new Fits have an MPG gauge now? I think I'm jealous. Time to get that ScanGauge!

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)