General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008 | 09:46 AM
I've had my 07 base Fit AT since July 07, I have 25,000 miles on the car & I haven't gotten below 30mpg yet. my lowest mpg comes when I get close to needing my oil changed.
My best mileage was my trip to mass to canada this past july mostly all highway & using the AC - it was 44mpg (on gas from BJs). Usually average about 35mpg. Now I drive 75 to 80 on the highway, but I do take it very easy driving in town.
I find certain brands of gas are better than others (gulf/cumberland farms is the absolute worst). I like mobile or sunoco best.
I am curious if overall synthetic oil would be better for the engine, gas mileage & wear & tear?

Old 10-20-2008 | 10:02 AM
Also I find that how you drive makes a HUGE difference. I've tried very hard to change some of my driving habits since I read articles about hyper-driving. here's a link with some tips - they do make a huge difference. Especially about braking less & idling less. I get great gas mileage in my Fit, I got great mileage in my 2000 Saturn L1 manual - with 130,000 miles on it I'd still average 35-40 mpg.
Here's the article:
How to Save Money on Gas - 29 Tips | Open Travel Info

Old 10-21-2008 | 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
I agree with you Electricblue. Better driving technique makes a big difference in MPG in any vehicle. The Fit already gets good gas mileage, and better driving techniques optimize it. The best I've had so far is 48. I'm looking forward to mods that should increase it.

Old 10-27-2008 | 05:50 PM
Unhappy In reading....

everyone's posts, they are getting WAY better mileage than I am. I had a 2002 Honda Civic LX that was totaled (NOT MY FAULT) so my husband bought me a FIT. When we were shopping for my new Honda, we were assured that the FIT would get the same if not better mileage than my Civic. My Civic I was getting 32-35 in the city and 38-40 highway. So far with my FIT I am getting (at best) 24 city and 26 mixed. The best I have gotten on all highway driving was 29. I have just under 5k on it. Someone please tell me that this is going to get better!!!! My father-in-law bought a new Civic about a month before I got my FIT. He went from Portland, OR to Reno, NV and got 40 going there, with the windows open, coming home with the AC on, he got 45. I am beginning to think maybe I should have held out for a Civic, I hope not, but the difference in the mileage is killing me.

Old 10-27-2008 | 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't reach my best fuel economy 'til I had ~15,000kms on the car (~10,000 miles).

I now average almost exactly what the EPA estimates - 31 combined / 35 highway.

The Fit is slightly lighter then the Civic, so the Fit should get slightly better city fuel economy.
The Civic has a slightly smaller cross-section then the Fit, so the Civic should get slightly better highway fuel economy.

How are you calculating fuel economy?

Old 10-27-2008 | 06:47 PM
I love my FIT.....but......

I keep a log in the glovebox. Every time I fill up I mark down how many gallons/miles and calculate it out.

When I asked the dealer, they first told me 2,500, then 5,000 miles before engine "breaks in" and mileage peaks. I guess I should have researched better.

Old 10-27-2008 | 07:00 PM
Even though the EPA numbers are very close for the auto and Manual Fits, I get the impression that the manual gets much better mileage than the auto. With over 25k miles on my Fit, I have not noticed any significant change in mileage other than changing my driving style. I'm still around 33 mpg average over the entire 25,000 miles.

Eric

Old 10-27-2008 | 08:06 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TamTam
I keep a log in the glovebox. Every time I fill up I mark down how many gallons/miles and calculate it out.

When I asked the dealer, they first told me 2,500, then 5,000 miles before engine "breaks in" and mileage peaks. I guess I should have researched better.
Do you have ethanol in your gasoline? That seems to make a huge difference in gas mileage. I know we have up to 10% ethanol in our gas and I am doing good to get 28 mpg city driving. This affects ALL my cars, though - when the ethanol went in, my mpg went down, in my Camry, the 4Runner, and now the Fit. I hate the ethanol and I think it also destroys engines.

I'm sorry your mileage is not good. I wish mine were better. i still love my car, but I could love it even more with 35 mpg.

Old 10-27-2008 | 08:12 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ephnit
Also no disrespect, but....so yah over filling your tank does well, give you more gas to use. Though this car was not designed to hold that much more gas. It can be damaging. This is really beside the point I was trying to make. It is that when calculating mileage it doesn't matter if the tank holds 10.8 gallons if all you use is around 9 gallons, due to the low fuel light coming on. Also you don't need to over fill to get the numbers you mentioned. I have never over filled. I can get the same numbers all with around 9 gallons, with better driving techniques at 50 mph in a 55 mph zone.
And all my mechanics have told me NEVER to top off the tank. I had to replace the EGR valve on my Camry recently due ONLY to my stupid practice of forcing more gas into the tank (I didn't ask until it was too late). $350 I wouldn't have had to spend. Why would a mechanic tell you NOT to do something, if he makes money from you forcing the gas, unless it was bad for your car? You can do real damage to your car by forcing gas into it. These cars are not like the ones from my youth, which didn't have all these sensitive parts and computers.

Anyway as you say, whether you are driving on 1/2 tank or a crammed-full tank, your mileage has to do with the way you drive and the gas itself, not how full your tank is or is not.

Old 10-28-2008 | 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by electricblue7
I got great mileage in my 2000 Saturn L1 manual
Another former Saturn, and now Fit, owner here too! I still have my 2002 L300, but only long enough to fix it up and sell it.

--Barry, 08 FS MT BBP

Old 10-28-2008 | 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
I have been getting between 38-40 MPG going 75 MPH on a 60 mile commute all together. That is with 20% city. I have noticed the slower I drive the better my mileage gets. The best I have gotten so far is 48 MPG going 50 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.

Old 10-28-2008 | 09:07 AM
ephnit -

That is good results for that type of driving unlike mine in the MT Fit:

Terrain and weather is going to vary between people considerably here is mine:

1/4 of the trip was speeds of 55mph - flat - heavy rain - 10/24/2008 - 74 degrees
1/4 of the trip was speeds of 60mph - hills - heavy rain - 10/24/2008 - 74 degrees
1/2 of the trip was speeds of 70mph - hills - night - 10/25/2008 - 50 degrees

Mods:
Tires at 65psig - now with 43K on them and a patch in 2 of the tires.
short ram intake(not sure is this is any good yet)
FAS switch(didn't use much)
Skunk2 short shifter
0w20 mobile1 synthetic oil 50% oil life left

This was highway/interstate driving with Cruise Control doing the speed limit. From Myrtle Beach to Lexington and from Lexington to Carowinds(Scarowinds)/Charlotte, NC and back. Only used FAS when approaching stoplights. What a sad tank

388.6miles
8.9 gallons
43.6 mpg

Well, this is what the speed limit and CC will get you in a MT Fit.

Old 10-30-2008 | 02:53 AM
hmm im gettin 25 mpg now but im at 30% oil but is that normal?

i was getting about 31-32 before the 40%...

do u guys get lower mpg when the oil metter gets lower? or your mpg dont change and its just my driving.

Old 10-30-2008 | 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
Thanxs, pb and h. I also have to mention that if I didn't live in an area full of inclines and dips my MPG would probably be better in my AT. It seems like technique, speed, and terrain are the most important factors to consider when trying to obtain better MPG.

Enjoito, it did seem like my mpg could have been slightly effected by oil at a low percentage. Though I was using two different routes at two different speeds at that time. What is your driving technique like? How much of your driving is city?

Old 10-30-2008 | 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Juliane
And all my mechanics have told me NEVER to top off the tank. I had to replace the EGR valve on my Camry recently due ONLY to my stupid practice of forcing more gas into the tank (I didn't ask until it was too late). $350 I wouldn't have had to spend. Why would a mechanic tell you NOT to do something, if he makes money from you forcing the gas, unless it was bad for your car? You can do real damage to your car by forcing gas into it. These cars are not like the ones from my youth, which didn't have all these sensitive parts and computers.

Anyway as you say, whether you are driving on 1/2 tank or a crammed-full tank, your mileage has to do with the way you drive and the gas itself, not how full your tank is or is not.

While I agree with that. I don't think you can say that the amount of gas in your tank has nothing to do with fuel economy. Gas weighs around 6lbs per gal., so a low tank weighs about 60 lbs less than a full one. Granted, the difference will be low, but there will be some difference.

Old 10-30-2008 | 02:24 PM
well oahu is like almost all city and some free way but its weird my driving habbits didnt change. i drive about 60 city 40 freeway and i was getting 31 its weird.

Old 11-01-2008 | 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
Well it's almost time for you to get an oil change. My Mileage did get better after my first, and only oil change. So, hopefully your mpg will improve as well.

Old 11-05-2008 | 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Got 29.5 again today. I looked forward to reaching my 7,000 mile mark because it was reported that supposedly the Fit gets better mileage at that time, but no change for me.

I've been running 31psi and today I figured it was the reason why my mileage might not be as good as I should be getting. So I pumped those suckers up to 41psi. I'll be back next week to let you know if it got any better.

Old 11-05-2008 | 05:48 PM
Got 10g on my 08 so far....Mpg got better as the miles got tacked on...just before the 1st oil change and since have been gettin about 35. Seems like no matter if its city or hwy stays the same. What does knock it down is when I use the paddles (manual mode). ..tend to rev a bit lol...even then still get 30 or so +. with gas prices down for now...rev time..lol.

Old 11-20-2008 | 05:26 PM
Got about 2000mi on mine, and I was getting 32-33mpg until I read some of your posts. now that I try (and know some better tricks) to save gas, I'm averaging 37mpg. Thanks everyone! that's also with mountain driving (almost 3000 vert ft from work to home), it's pretty cool to reset the indicator at home and pin 150mpg on the way down.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)