General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007 | 04:05 PM
... as slow as you were going I hope you were in the f-a-r right lane:; lol

Old 10-16-2007 | 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
have an 07 honda fit us a/t usually get between 33 and 35 mpg on it. tried like someoen suggested inflating psi in tires to 40 or so and didnt change.. got about 34.5 mpg on that tank..tried tires @ 32psi, 34 psi and 36psi all get around same mpg. tried driving very slow take off from redlight and driving on hwy slow ..still same mpg average.
wondering how some people get this 38+ mpg. tried 87 octane and 91 octane even. ...

Old 10-16-2007 | 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by docjim2
yeah, come to think of it: when it really gets hot the Fit a/c has problems cooling... ?? small engine or worse!
Yeah, noticed that too. Will be tinting the windows soon to help that situation.

I'm trying to stay off the news for cooking my kids in the back seat - and that's with me inside the car, engine running, A/C blowing full blast!

Old 12-03-2007 | 09:19 AM
Is it me, or has anyone gotten really bad gas mileage since it started getting cold? I swear, I hate it! Like last week, the car was only driven like 160-170 miles and the gas light came here. Its a fun car and all but the crappy gas mileage pisses me off so much. Its not like the car is driven like a race car either.

Old 12-03-2007 | 09:25 AM
I now have 32K on the vehicle. My mileage has been really bad when putting in gas from stores like Walmart, etc. My advice is stick with companies that sell gas as a primary product. For an off brand, I have had good results with QT. Also my mileage is right inline with the new EPA estimates for 2008. I am seeing about 32 MPG and I pedal very fast. Also don't forget if it got really cold, your gas gauge is NOT temperature compensated. You migh lose a small amount on the gage as the fuel contracts due to the cold. (mileage should not have dropped by the same amount.)

Old 12-03-2007 | 09:34 AM
When I first got my Sport AT Fit I was about to sell it due to the poor (low 20s in town) gas mileage. The dealer told me to give it until it had 5K miles at which point it should improve. I'm now at 6500 miles and the in-town mileage has been ~31 MPG and the best highway (typical speed 80 MPH or greater) 36 MPG. I think that if I were to be doing the speed limit (which is impossible out here) the mileage would've been better. I try to use only Chevron gas.

Also, no problems with AC during the summer, and it gets quite "warm" here in the desert.

...bob

Old 12-03-2007 | 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
17k on her now

and getting 35 mpg sport auto.

Old 12-03-2007 | 10:30 AM
After owning my Fit for over a year and a half, I can tell you newbies out there that your mileage should get better with age. I also had the same mileage problems when I first bought my Fit and things did get much better after a couple of oil changes and some mileage under the hood. And yes, the mileage does seem to get worse during the fall-winter months. Even though I pretty much drive the same routes every week, I notice that mileage is much better during the summer months (overall 31mpg, hwy 37-40mpg) than the winter ones (27-29mpg), which I am now experiencing. I figure this must be due to the seasonal gas mixture, and not due to my driving habits.

Old 12-04-2007 | 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
Over the Thanksgiving break we had a chance to run our Fit on the highway from San Diego to Ventura County (200+ miles). On the trip back home to Ventura County we achieved 39.8 mpg. 2007 Fit Sport with 5 AT.

The car has 19k miles on it and I had just replaced the air filter after noticing the original was beyond "fuzzy" from dirt...the dealer hadn't changed it at the 15k mile maintenance period. My daughter drives the Fit back and forth to school (10 miles round trip) and she has noticed city mileage increased from just under 30 mpg to 31.5 mpg after the filter change.

Old 12-04-2007 | 11:33 AM
If you don't mind answering....how much weight was put on the Fit when you got 39.8 mpg?

Old 12-04-2007 | 12:10 PM
Retired Moderator
My last tank i got 36mpg, with alot of paddle shift use.
Ive never got under 32, and we have driven the car hard through montain twisties and canyons, gotta love the MPG!

Old 12-07-2007 | 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HapaLynai
If you don't mind answering....how much weight was put on the Fit when you got 39.8 mpg?
Three passengers: wife, daughter and me (about 410 lbs). Plus, three small overnight bags (about 25-30 lbs). That's all the "cargo" we were hauling.

Old 12-11-2007 | 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Im back. Yes me I have owned a MT fit and an Automatic

I curently drive an automatic fit that just turned 10,000 miles. I mostly drive around town with short trips on the freeway. I average 28 mpg. My best for this car is 38.

In contrast my former MT fit had a best of 46.4 and averaged 33 around town. boy what a difference!

I was angry when I was seeing 22 mpg gallons in the Fit I own now. 26 mpg is as low as I can seem to make it go now.

one great thing I can say about an auto fit it sure shifts nicely... what a pleasure. A person from Doubi told me that they sell Fits sith CVT transmisions... wow. take it easy

Old 12-12-2007 | 09:18 AM
Mileage observations

1. Local additives mandated by the EPA may be having some impact on the reported mileage.
2. Fuel quality may also be making a difference.
3. There is a remendous variation when the fuel shuts off when refueling. I have seen differences as much as 1.5 gallons. As much as a 15% increase will then appear if the next nozzle shuts off early.

Old 12-12-2007 | 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jetcal1
3. There is a [t]remendous variation when the fuel shuts off when refueling. I have seen differences as much as 1.5 gallons. As much as a 15% increase will then appear if the next nozzle shuts off early.
Very true when using different pumps or gas stations.

My other vehicle, when the pump stops, the tank is FULL! Like, don't pull the trigger again or there will be gas on the ground full.

I don't know why the Fit is so difficult to fill up all the way. I mean, other than the 3 gallon tube to the main tank. I did research gas pumps. There is a little tube at the end of the pump nozzle -- when that is obstructed with fuel, the pump stops. So, the fuel is supposed to come all the way up to the end of the nozzle. But for some reason, the fuel bubbles or something when trying to fit up the Fit. Which is why putting the fuel in very slowly works.

Old 12-12-2007 | 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by xorbe
Very true when using different pumps or gas stations.

My other vehicle, when the pump stops, the tank is FULL! Like, don't pull the trigger again or there will be gas on the ground full.

I don't know why the Fit is so difficult to fill up all the way. I mean, other than the 3 gallon tube to the main tank. I did research gas pumps. There is a little tube at the end of the pump nozzle -- when that is obstructed with fuel, the pump stops. So, the fuel is supposed to come all the way up to the end of the nozzle. But for some reason, the fuel bubbles or something when trying to fit up the Fit. Which is why putting the fuel in very slowly works.
The sensors do have some variance. The reason pumps shut off before the tank is full is to leave room for expansion preventing fuel from going to the charcoal evaporative cannister used for emissions control. Topping off is not good for the system. I believe the long filler tube (can't call this one a neck.) was probably a rather interesting design exercise.

Old 12-12-2007 | 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bobthenuke
When I first got my Sport AT Fit I was about to sell it due to the poor (low 20s in town) gas mileage. The dealer told me to give it until it had 5K miles at which point it should improve. I'm now at 6500 miles and the in-town mileage has been ~31 MPG and the best highway (typical speed 80 MPH or greater) 36 MPG. I think that if I were to be doing the speed limit (which is impossible out here) the mileage would've been better. I try to use only Chevron gas.

Also, no problems with AC during the summer, and it gets quite "warm" here in the desert.

...bob
I like you I exclusivly use chevron gas also. I am getting about 29 mpg around town. Much better then the 20 mpg I had seen a few times. It is fun to drive the automatic.

Old 12-13-2007 | 02:23 AM
just cracked the 15k miles.......

298mls/9.64gallons = 30.9 miles/gallon

i've been waiting for my mpg to improve and it's still the same!

Old 12-13-2007 | 11:11 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
just cracked the 15k miles.......

298mls/9.64gallons = 30.9 miles/gallon

i've been waiting for my mpg to improve and it's still the same!
Ease on the throttle and roll 65mph on the freeway and it will go up. I know thats hard but i will save you money!

Tyler

Old 12-13-2007 | 08:00 PM
I've been averaging 300km/tank on the first 3 fillups. I'm really hoping it gets better. Is anyone getting better results after their break in?

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)